BANGKOK
JimmyTheMook

Home Air Conditioners

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:00 AM, CharlieH said:

Mitsubishi for nearly 10 yrs no issues, regularly serviced, gecko did fry one connection but other than that, faultless. Samsung in another area and that has also proved very good with only one minor issue in 6 years.

My Samsung AC bedroom unit has never been cleaned manually in 5 years - only self-cleaning option has been activated frequently  

Absent is front cover and filler - electric usage on the unit is down 25  percent and always a cool room compared with previous experience   

Unit height 100 cm - will do a blow cleaning this year

The inverters are quieter and more efficient? 

I will have to look into that. 

9 hours ago, meand said:

The inverters are quieter and more efficient?

Yes. They provide a more stable temperature also.

9 hours ago, evilebxxx said:

My Samsung AC bedroom unit has never been cleaned manually in 5 years - only self-cleaning option has been activated frequently 

I wonder how that can work to prevent the build-up of cruddy black mould on the cage fan? My unit needs that mould removing every 4 months or so, and if it isn't done the thing just stops working completely.

But maybe your unit is not in use 24/7 like mine is. Units that are only used for a few hours a day probably dont get that mould build-up.

• Like 1

I would never get a mitsubishi heavy duty again in the bedroom, far too noisy.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Yes. They provide a more stable temperature also.

Do you have a general thought on the unit price increase, of the actual ac? Double, a little more, triple? 

I Will check them out but just curious. 

52 minutes ago, meand said:

Do you have a general thought on the unit price increase, of the actual ac? Double, a little more, triple? 

I haven't studied it but I would guess perhaps 20-30% more. You will save the extra cost very quickly if you use the unit at all often.

Pays to compare Watts (energy) per BTU/h between units. LG has a dual inverter system that was more efficient than I had expected. Haven’t found any technical details on what they are doing with it, but a hotel I stayed at had them and their efficiency was much higher than I expected. 

@KittenKong are your filters clean?  Try keeping your fan on high and never open the windows during the day. 

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I wonder how that can work to prevent the build-up of cruddy black mould on the cage fan? My unit needs that mould removing every 4 months or so, and if it isn't done the thing just stops working completely.

But maybe your unit is not in use 24/7 like mine is. Units that are only used for a few hours a day probably dont get that mould build-up.

condenser fins are black and unclogged - non-restriction at all of my air intake, cover and air filter are gone

4 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

@KittenKong are your filters clean?  Try keeping your fan on high and never open the windows during the day. 

Filters are cleaned fortnightly and are spotless. Fan is always on medium (I dont like strong fans). Windows are rarely opened.

I think it is just because my air-con is on all the time and the mould seems to like it. It isnt a problem at all though as a good spray every four months takes care of it in minutes.

2 hours ago, evilebxxx said:

condenser fins are black and unclogged - non-restriction at all of my air intake, cover and air filter are gone

Sure. My condenser fins are clean too. I was talking about the cage fan only. That is the only indoor part on mine that gets dirty.

I bought an Electrolux AC this year. Seemed a good price 15k and worked well, initially. Failed after 5 months. OK it was fixed fairly quickly under warranty but doesn't fill me with confidence in the brand.