key fob frequency

award

main dealer wanted B4000 for a key I can get cut for B500 by a key fob about B300 if only I new the frequency bcos the previous owner broke the key and glued it back together so I cant open it to examine the chips 

15 hours ago, award said:

main dealer wanted B4000 for a key I can get cut for B500 by a key fob about B300 if only I new the frequency bcos the previous owner broke the key and glued it back together so I cant open it to examine the chips 

I would think the key guy can open your key, Thais can be very resourceful when cash is at stake..

Viewing the chips alone won't tell you much. Other components on the PCB determine the frequency.

It's not the frequency as much as the prf you need (determined by other components also). The key guy should resolve your issue. If the fob doesn't open and lock the doors. Don't accept the fob or pay them.

Spend time with Thais and mess around to pay 800 THB plus incidentals or pay 4,000 THB (guaranteed to work). I'd choose the latter.

Knowing the frequency will not let you program a replacement. There is a security chip in the transmitter circuitry that is encoded to activate your cars system. A replacement fobs security chip has to be encoded to your vehicles receiver system. Each fob is basically unique to the original vehicle. Only the vehicle manufacturer has access to each vehicles code. It may be possible to transplant your internal components into a new fob. There are shops that sell replacement cases. 

It's known as a p.r.f. and the value can be transposed. The PCB could be transposed also if the receptor fob is compatible.

Localized workmanship would lend me toward the manufacturers replacement which would come with a warranty.

Archived