Strong Bhat Makes my 800,000 for my extension look a good investment

False conception.

It is a big investment as is your house into nothing.  Unless you cash out that account and sell the property now for what you paid for it.

Good for your thinking Pilot but a savy agent/buyer is taking the sliding Baht into consideration.

A good agent would recommend 30% less then what you paid for that house.

People have the misconception that this temporary slide in the exchange rate means they are making big money on their properties.  12,000 properties on the market now just in Pattaya area so I guess some buyers/agents are playing it smart. Sellers holding out without a clue.

But, if it makes you feel better/richer in your mind keep that thought.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The OP and I have a very different view on how to measure return on an investment. 

I could start a discussion on unrealised and realised gains but I feel this is not what the OP wants to hear.

Well done @Pilotman. You're up!

too difficult for a simple soul like me. 

• Haha 2

Friend thought he would sell his very nice house. Started around 13 mil thb and still no takers at 9 mil thb...

Apparently a new round of “investigations” into the old Thai company nominee holding property scam. If that ever gains traction there may be a flood of foreigner “owned” property hitting the market. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Then, please speak freely about the property market here

What are you babbling on about/ Where did I mention property in your quote? The set has also performed well 

my prediction is based on charts and resistance and the historical low is 15 baht for my oz example 

it will get there but will take a few years at which point I will liquidate and take advantage of the OZ collapse of the property bubble and its banana republic currency rate. That goes for most of the western world which are on the brink of recession. 

????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

But they are worth nothing, unless you can sell them, and good luck trying to move property here in the current market.

Yeah right buying at 72 he must be a loser. Sounds like your a 4k a month room renter with that silly statement :coffee1:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I believe there is a draft bill saying that dormant (untouched after 10 years) bank accounts can be transferred to the finance ministry. I wonder how this affects deposits required for visa etc. Not to worry, the plan is your funds can be returned if you apply to the finance ministry for them. Although I suspect the paperwork may only be accepted under the correct lunar cycle or -insert other- conditions.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

But they are worth nothing, unless you can sell them, and good luck trying to move property here in the current market.

Yep, took me 2 years to find a buyer then 2 years interest free one time ????

13 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I transferred at 43 baht to the pound and it's now 38.5, so I'm already up on the previous savings rate.

It feels pretty galling to transfer in at close to 38, the lowest rate in 22 years. But it's true, it's going down every week. It only needs to drop another 5-6% to 36.2, and it'll be officially the lowest rate since October 1985.

1562972002163.jpg

Edited by lamyai3

6 hours ago, madmen said:

Yeah right buying at 72 he must be a loser. Sounds like your a 4k a month room renter with that silly statement :coffee1:

It's so hard to borrow money through the good title as well here in this advanced society... ???? 

You will of course only realize a benefit if you send that money back out (and go with it). That doesn't work for the 800,000 as you need to have it each year. Similarly the house unless you sell and choose to rent. Had you brought in more cash at 43, you would benefit from spending that rather than bringing in more at 38.5

To me it highlights how bad it is to force people to bring in  65,000 each month whatever the rate is for their extension. 

Nice to be optimistic though. 

Edited by jacko45k

14 hours ago, Pilotman said:

well maybe not so dumb. I am very aware that I am a temporary visitor to Thailand and  moving cash out of the country is doable if needed, as is turning sellable assets into cash if needed. But like the previous poster, Kevvy, my house is my home, at least for now.   

And dont forget even if you sell the house for what you paid you have lived in it rent free for all those years

• Like 1

Spent a lot of dough on things like attached garage with all the fixings, rcbo's across the board, safe electrical installations from one end to the other, ect......... All worthless crap, a loss upon a sale.

Noise pollution has at least tripled since built & access to our area has become gantlets of death.

The return on this investment is rent free & creature comforts installed while I'm here, and something for my wife when I'm gone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1