Problems at Savannakhet and Border July 2019 Report

42 minutes ago, lkv said:

Fresh from the oven at Savannakhet today.

So there was an officer at the embassy that asked him about  TM30 and then checked it against his application. Same officer that was also very up to speed on what kind of visa you need to open a bank account and immediately asked him for a bribe. Wow, I'm positively impressed. This might be fresh but it is not coming from the oven.

I understand the current regulations leave a lot to be desired and are changing every day but there's also an increasing amount of FUD coming out of these ovens for some reason. Let's not spread it.

37 minutes ago, SicTransit said:

So there was an officer at the embassy that asked him about  TM30 and then checked it against his application. Same officer that was also very up to speed on what kind of visa you need to open a bank account and immediately asked him for a bribe. Wow, I'm positively impressed. This might be fresh but it is not coming from the oven.

I understand the current regulations leave a lot to be desired and are changing every day but there's also an increasing amount of FUD coming out of these ovens for some reason. Let's not spread it.

Just saying. I am paranoid about fake stories myself, but for whatever reason, at first look, the way it's worded, I don't think it's bulls#it.

Maybe exaggerated.

The OP of this thread posted a visa issued in Savannakhet with a blue stamp.

Savannakhet was not giving blue stamps until recently.

Go figure.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

And still, there are plenty of people that do repeated visa exempt entries past the limit of 6. They can override the system.

I don't disagree that METV is a more solid option, and yes, it gives less scrutiny and hassle.

I think you are way too worried with an METV and your travel patterns. People being grilled are maxing them out 60+30.

I don't think there is a system to overide or an official 6 entries in law - its up to the officer at the time as far as I know.  That is probably why I worry, I've asked the question a couple of times on here, then I've tried to queery it with I.O.'s as I'm leaving. Each time I'm told I'll be fine, then another refusal post appears on TV and I worry again.  I think the worry comes from the fact that some I.O.'s make the rules up as they go along. If the rules were clear and every I.O. applied them evenly, everyone would know where they stand.

I've stated that I'll fight it if I am refused and I will - I'm prepared to be detained. If you're a genuine entrant who is not playing the system it must be bloody awful to be refused - especially for those with ties to Thailand and property etc.

One thing I have noticed is that as soon as I began entering on a visa, the counting of my entry stamps stopped.

12 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Yep, that's the one I found too.

Yeah listen, could be fake, could be real.

I tend to believe the latter.

I saw comments on that post, " but i had no issues at Savannakhet".

Yeah. You had no issues 2 weeks ago. Or one month ago.

Today is today.

But I agree we need more reports to substantiate.

Edited by lkv

50 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I think the worry comes from the fact that some I.O.'s make the rules up as they go along. If the rules were clear and every I.O. applied them evenly, everyone would know where they stand.

Then go to a country where you get more consistency in Immigration.

I'm serious now. I'm between two worlds.

Now I am posting from back home in Europe.

I am seriously thinking of the next stop. And I haven't found the answer yet. But it's not Thailand at the moment. And it's not Elite. F#ck that s#it. I don't want to become a "friend of Thailand" and be "tolerated" on my money.

I used to live in Bangkok. And I had bad experiences being molested by RTP up until March. And they are still doing it. This is what they do in Bangkok TODAY. Read the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bkexpats.kc/permalink/2904725852887984/

NOT WORTH IT!

Going through hurdles so that I get 60 day visas so that I get molested by police? Acting lawlessly?

Enough is enough.

Edited by lkv

On 7/12/2019 at 6:03 PM, acenase said:

This debate has been hammered to death.

Forcing me to invest in an education visa to pretend to go to school since I have absolutely no interest in going to school is just as bad. So that wouldn't be the proper visa anyways since I'm always traveling. What do you call someone who's always traveling? 

a gypsy

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

a gypsy

Don't get too comfy, i wish you the best of luck with your future temporary extension, would hate to see you becoming a "gypsy" too.

Edited by lkv

1 minute ago, lkv said:

Don't get too comfy, i wish you the best of luck with your future temporary extension, would hate to see you becoming a gypsy too.

Why would I want a future temporary extension? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Why would I want a future temporary extension? Asking for a friend.

Well, based on what I am reading on all these other threads, Phuket, tourism, scams etc etc, I guess there's no reason your friend would want one ????

If your friend was married, I would suggest to him to move his wife to a more developed country with more consistent Immigration rules.

Edited by lkv

22 minutes ago, lkv said:

Well, based on what I am reading on all these other threads, Phuket, tourism, scams etc etc, I guess there's no reason your friend would want one ????

If your friend was married, I would suggest to him to move his wife to a more developed country with more consistent Immigration rules.

He already has, but he visits this forum for a laugh, I think it's a bit like when you visit someones home for dinner and they turn the music off and start washing up etc etc and it becomes pretty obvious to any intelligent person that your hosts want you to do one. But there's quite a few on here who can't take the hint. For me though, I just like the videos.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Each time I'm told I'll be fine, then another refusal post appears on TV and I worry again.  I think the worry comes from the fact that some I.O.'s make the rules up as they go along.

Look, there are all sorts of reports, some fake (probably made by paid gvt posters), but nevertheless, others are real.

I saw genuine visas from Phnom Pehn with "denied for too many tourist visas" plus void without prejudice.

We have Brigssy's report of being denied entry on METV, and he is a member with very high credibility and community rating.

Further, we have people on METV that had to bribe Phuket Immigration 1,000 baht to get in (don't ask me to look on Facebook, it was some months ago).

Your usage of METV is OK at present time.

What worries me is inconsistent law application, corruption, in a country that, at the end of the day, is a third world country.

We had a 29 year old guy supposedly living in Spain, that wanted to know how to "game the system," next year.

What am I supposed to advise him when 3 hours ago, I see reports of issues from Savannaket?

The point is, it's quite volatile at the moment.

Now, I don't like volatility. So various other countries / options need to be researched.

Edited by lkv

27 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

He already has

Well then, I have to say your friend probably made the best choice, for him and his wife ????

3 minutes ago, lkv said:

Well then, I have to say your friend probably made the best choice, for him and his wife ????

He did give it careful consideration but eventually he decided to get his Thai wife to the UK and she has UK citizenship now and they seem very happy. But he always keeps thinking about moving to Thailand and getting a marriage visa. When these urges are starting to become irresistible he just visits this forum and that quells his enthusiasm for a couple of months.

From my point of view, the video of the pregnant woman getting hit by the pick up truck would be enough to put anyone off never mind the visa shenanigans.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lkv said:

Just saying. I am paranoid about fake stories myself, but for whatever reason, at first look, the way it's worded, I don't think it's bulls#it.

The post has been removed now, which attests to its authenticity, I guess.

1 hour ago, SicTransit said:

The post has been removed now, which attests to its authenticity, I guess.

Do you mean lkv's posting of the Facebook story?  Its still showing on my screen - post No. 181.

I'm actually flying out to Singapore for my next visa run in September and will have to fly back into Thailand through Suvarnabhumi.  I'm expecting me to get questioned again but this time I will be fully prepared. I want to see how they deal with me, in a professional manner of course. Since I will have the Section 12 Thai Law printed out in Thai language and highlighted to show them that I'm educated about Thai law and what I'm doing is not illegal. I'm a law abiding tourist who has money to support myself while I am here.

Since I was denied entry last April and was never asked to show 20K cash

(was verbally told I can't spend more than 180 days in Thailand and need to go back to my home country but my denial reason stamped in passport was marked Section 12 (2) Insufficient funds.)

I want to follow the official Thai Law. Not corruption. And official Thai Law states that there is no limit to how many times you can enter Thailand at the Airport as long as you can show 20,000 cash, onward flight, accomodation, etc. sufficient means of living (which I have) and plan to travel within 60 days.

In the event I show my passport at passport control to get stamped in and he's going through my pages again and sees my history of Visas in Thailand.  I will also show him a print out of the Thai Law (Section 12 in Thai language). Explain that last time I got denied for Section 12 (2) insufficient funds even though I have cash here, 20,000 baht cash, so what else can I do?

If he takes me to the office again.  I will show him I have 20,000 baht cash on me  without them asking me since last time they didn't ask me to show cash and onward ticket out in 60 days. Along with the Thai law showing I have all the requirements for my visa.

I also want to ask them if they deny my entry this time, can they please void my Visa too? Because I will fly to Vientiane and enter Thailand by Land Border and use this new Visa and enter with no problem, so why am I having a problem entering through the airport? Why are they ok with me entering at Nong Khai?

I think a lot of value can come from this.  I just want a better understanding of why they are denying people under a law that doesn't exist even after showing proof that I'm not a begpacker or whatever they are scared of. And it's not just people who have Tourist Visas.  It's people who are getting ED Visas as well.

But as fate has it, I'll probably get stamped in with no problems at all because only people who aren't prepared SOMEHOW are the ones who seem to have issues. Lol.

Edited by acenase

@acenase  recognise that Section 12 (9) refers to the 20,000 baht. Section 12 (2) is different. Some will claim that it does not even refer to money, and that "appropriate means of living in Thailand" refers to being a regular tourist, not a Thai resident. (I do not agree with that, but immigration will claim it applies.) At any rate, if you want to go ahead with what I consider a fairly foolhardy venture, be armed with documentation that shows you are financially secure in addition to the cash.

• Like 1

Someone made a post today on Facebook, July 25, that anyone with more than 6 months in Thailand applying for a Tourist Visa are getting automatically rejected.  I'm convinced at this point due to the massive amount of reports, that the days of being able to go to different consulates for a tourist visa and entering Thailand are over. 

"I have just been to the consulate in Savannakhet. Anyone with more than 6 months in Thailand applying for a tourist visa are getting automatically rejected."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1395920320731833/permalink/2459952134328641?sfns=mo

So this means anyone from now on, reading this, who is planning to do a new Tourist visa run, you're playing russian roulette with Savannakhet if your passport shows multiple visas or a history of more than 6 months. I would make sure that your passport doesn't have more than 2 tourist visas just to be on the safe side.

Things are changing quick. When I did my run, I chose Savannakhet because I never went there before, and people said you can get at least 2-3 back-to-back tourist visas at this consulate before they warning stamp you since they don't take account for visas from other countries. However, now we know this is false, since they will stamp the warning stamp even if it's your first time there, by taking account visually by how many visas you have. And now possibly being automatically denied a visa if they see you have more than 6 months in Thailand.

Edited by acenase

17 minutes ago, acenase said:

Someone made a post today on Facebook, July 25, that anyone with more than 6 months in Thailand applying for a Tourist Visa are getting automatically rejected.  

I would not take that as being a fact. One post by one person means nothing IMO.

I have seen no other posts about it and a company that does the runs to there does not mention it on their website.

Yep I agree. Can't really take much statements as facts. But guess the only thing we can do is be prepared. Although, I would probably cry if I took the bus 12 hours all the way to savannakhet only to get automatically rejected and did all that for nothing.

Just sucks for guys like me who travels around frequently and returning with a tourist visa . If I never travel and just wanted to stay put in Thailand for the whole year, the Thai Elite definitely makes sense! But its like I put that money towards traveling, so its a catch 22. If I get the Thai Elite then I can't afford to travel, if I travel and return with the tourist visa, then I can't afford the Thai Elite lol

Edited by acenase

On 7/12/2019 at 9:35 PM, holy cow cm said:

Honestly, this is exactly the reason they are becoming hard on all of us. We all get lumped into one big bowl because of the people trying to keep staying here that obviously need to do a better thing than trying to do back to backs or escape evading the system anyway they can. The fingerprints will all link you to a repeat too many time offender, so you need a better plan or need to just stay away. The days of no problem are gone and so good luck to you. Get a job here or get married or do a retirement if old enough or an elite visa. But please stop making it hard for all the above the table retiree or other long term foreigners doing the correct way. They just will make more hurdles for everyone to jump thus possible to ruin everyone's day and life. 

For the ones who are in the same boat for what your doing, your post is important. 

Again good luck.

Totally agreed! well said sir!

With all respect to the post owner, but yes your one of the reasons why things are getting worst here for ppl doing things properly. 

13 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Totally agreed! well said sir!

With all respect to the post owner, but yes your one of the reasons why things are getting worst here for ppl doing things properly. 

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Here is my perspective.

I stand by what I am doing as following the laws and doing it properly. There shouldn't be arbitrary rules on how long an individual should be considered a tourist.  Staying somewhere for 6 months can still definitely mean you are a tourist! I don't even have a Thai SIM card. I have a T-Mobile SIM with roaming because I am not trying to live in Thailand, I just want to be here for 2 years while I travel around the world.  (i.e. being a legit tourist)

When people tell me to get an ED Visa, that still wouldn't be my true purpose in Thailand because I am not interested in going to school. I'm just interested in traveling.

All of my tourist visas have been from brand new countries I've never been to before (Hong kong, Indonesia, Lao, Vietnam) I've also traveled to Malaysia, Japan, Korea, Rome, Vienna and also going to Singapore next, all with direct flights from BKK.

The problem is that people who are staying in Thailand with no money to support themselves are hiding out, overstaying their visas, or doing other things that are ruining it for genuine tourists like myself who are constantly traveling every 1-2 months. We shouldn't have arbitrary rules or a limit on how long we can travel. There's actually many people who live in Japan and do visa runs every 3 months for years without problems, but Japan is not the country for me, personally.

As long as someone is following the laws, having proof of bank statements, proof of cash, to show he can support himself, it should be fair game. They should be welcomed with a smile for choosing Thailand.  They shouldn't be putting a limit on how long you can travel for or force you to go back to your home country. 

I could purchase the Thai Elite visa and live in Thailand without traveling anywhere for 1 year and be broke...beg on the streets for money, etc because my savings went to buying that visa to get a 1 year stamp plus extension with never leaving.  To me I think that's a lot more worse than just flying out and flying back in often. And I'm truly don't believe that i should rush getting married to my Thai girlfriend JUST to get a Non O visa for a 1 year stamp as well. We can agree to disagree about that.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1