MG keeps up the momentum with Extender pickup

MG keeps up the momentum with Extender pickup

By THE NATION

800_028ed83249fb07b.jpg

After creating a strong impact with the launch of the ZS EV priced at Bt1.19 million, MG is expanding its product line-up further - this time with a 1-ton pickup truck.

The MG Extender will be officially launched in August, according to distributor MG Sales (Thailand) Co Ltd.

It will come with a 2.0-litre diesel turbo engine and a large number of safety features.

The Extender will be the highlight at the MG booth at this year’s BIG Motor Sale to be held at the Bangkok Trade and Exhibition Center (Bitec) from August 16-25.

The Extender is based on the Maxus T60 sold in China (MG is owned by SAIC Motoes of China), which is powered by a 2.8-litre turbo diesel engine developing 147 horsepower and 360Nm.

The Thai model will be assembled at the new MG plant at the Hemaraj Eastern Seaboard Industrial Estate in Chon Buri, which is a joint venture between SAIC and Thailand’s CP Group.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/auto/30372898

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-12

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Blimey .. The hardcore MG puritans'll be spitting feathers over this one .. They were less than impressed when B L attached the MG badge to Maestro's and Montego's .. 

Yes, I am just penning my future post on paper......????

Just now, thailand49 said:

????

Looks good but Chinese Junk,  especially at over a million baht.

over a million baht..........  where did this price come from ?  I was told the Single cab would be under 500,000 to under 900,000 for the top 4 door Auto....   The New V80 cost just over 900,000 - just over 1 million, fully kitted out 11 seater..    https://www.sanook.com/auto/69525/

Off topic a bit but I wasn't aware of the MG ZS Ev. Completely slipped under the radar.
For a price of 1.19 Million baht seems to be a good buy for an all electric vehicle while other hybrids or fully electric cars start at about 2 Million.
People are afraid of quality issues with Chinese cars but these days are gone. All manufacturers have joint ventures with established car makers and China is now the biggest car market and producer worldwide.

over a million baht..........  where did this price come from ?  I was told the Single cab would be under 500,000 to under 900,000 for the top 4 door Auto....   The New V80 cost just over 900,000 - just over 1 million, fully kitted out 11 seater..    https://www.sanook.com/auto/69525/
V80 probably good pick for converting it to an RV / camper [emoji6]

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

This is old technology. No different to what's on the market already. Energy from the sun is the future. They have missed out on a big opportunity here.

I disagree, hydrogen fuel cells are the future.

21 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

We can only hope so.

The problem with them current batteries is there is nowhere to recycle them or dismantle them, more waste, and no solutions

38 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

The sun provides enough energy to power the earth, 10k times over, in just 24 hours. Withing next few years it will be commonplace to see roofs and bonnets of pickups and cars constructed with solar cells. Also battery powered m/cs with the rider's crash helmet a solar cell, charging the m/c battery (not sure about remote charging AWS).

There is a great need for the advancement of hydrogen fuel cell technology. In some places in the world it will become the norm for vehicles and trains.

As batteries become lighter, and more powerful, expect to see the rebirth of the airship. One that can go round the earth many times with just the sun as energy source.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

It will be under 400k !

I would only be interested in the four door AT, Perhaps I misunderstood but I think it was mentioned in one of the replies that it would be about 900,000 , which would put on par with other trucks. 

If it was significantly cheaper I would consider it  but I can get a Chevy Colorado which IMO is a very good truck.

image.png.c327311fbb9727e70b0efbaf0b314c1e.png

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

More info and pics here........also price 390k !!!

https://www.car250.com/new-mg-extender.html

Thank you for that link, unfortunately it is in Thai and Google translate does not do a great job (too literal) but was good enough to get some good info.

I will keep an eye on it and see what will be available in Thailand when it makes it's official debut at their website. 

I have no brand or national origin loyalty, I always make the best economic decision so if it makes good economic sense I will certainly consider it.

Just now, sirineou said:

I would only be interested in the four door AT, Perhaps I misunderstood but I think it was mentioned in one of the replies that it would be about 900,000 , which would put on par with other trucks. 

If it was significantly cheaper I would consider it  but I can get a Chevy Colorado which IMO is a very good truck.

image.png.c327311fbb9727e70b0efbaf0b314c1e.png

You would have to see like for like...........  the above picture is a manual 4x2 .... the 4x4 Auto appears to start with the NEW Discount @ 998,000 baht for the Colorado High County 4x4 A/T.......... the MG 4x4 Auto is to start at under 900,ooo baht,,, so 100,000 baht saving....  guess not so many will go for the TOP model, the TOP model Colorado is 1.1 million with discount until end of next month. 

I remember when they slammed Dacia as crap car. That was true for the very first model Sandero. After their cooperation with Renault they are manufacturing excellent value cars in my opinion.
Same goes for Chinese manufacturers. They gained experience in the domestic Chinese market years ago and now their cars have improved a lot.

42 minutes ago, ignis said:

You would have to see like for like...........  the above picture is a manual 4x2 .... the 4x4 Auto appears to start with the NEW Discount @ 998,000 baht for the Colorado High County 4x4 A/T.......... the MG 4x4 Auto is to start at under 900,ooo baht,,, so 100,000 baht saving....  guess not so many will go for the TOP model, the TOP model Colorado is 1.1 million with discount until end of next month. 

We really don't know what the price will be it could be higher than others, the same or lower.

The article states that none of the information is confirmed by MG, and on the banner above the price list it says  " Estimated MG T60 price in China" 

image.png.96ff0b3d231bf08cc25edfa36b6a5448.png

I simply don't know, I only said that if the price is the same or close, why should I go with an unproven Chinese product when I can have a proven similar product?I would certainly not compromise my whole purchase to save 100,000 (about $3,000 )about  10%. But that's only my opinion.

1 minute ago, Curt1591 said:

Assume NSW is New South Wales, with all the Aussie members, can anyone tell who's badge adorns the grill?

badge.jpg

It looks like a Masonic symbol. I think this vehicle is fronted by the illuminati LOL 

30 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Here's a review from Australia, where it has begun selling. Seems to be like all the Chinese vehicles, not great, not horrible, and unless much much cheaper...no value proposition yet.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/598929/2018-ldv-t60-review/

Thank you for that article.

it states the the top of the line sells for  $34,990 ($36,831 for us regular folk)

at 36.831 usd it will make it 1,137,856.91 bht which would put it inline with what other brands are offering in Thailand.  If that's true I don't see the advantage.

Anyway let's wait and see.

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that article.

it states the the top of the line sells for  $34,990 ($36,831 for us regular folk)

at 36.831 usd it will make it 1,137,856.91 bht which would put it inline with what other brands are offering in Thailand.  If that's true I don't see the advantage.

Anyway let's wait and see.

It's an Australian website so presumably the prices are in AUD, which would make the price about 30% below what you calculated.

Sophon

Archived