MG keeps up the momentum with Extender pickup

41 minutes ago, Sophon said:

It's an Australian website so presumably the prices are in AUD, which would make the price about 30% below what you calculated.

Sophon

it states the price in both Australian dollars  

$34,990 and  USD $36,831

I used the USD for my comparison because I am familiar with the rate of exchange.

I only used this for comparison, and is only speculation. The Thai price could  be totally different (higher or lower)  because of the tax situation and other variables..

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that article.

it states the the top of the line sells for  $34,990 ($36,831 for us regular folk)

at 36.831 usd it will make it 1,137,856.91 bht which would put it inline with what other brands are offering in Thailand.  If that's true I don't see the advantage.

Anyway let's wait and see.

You won't be buying it in AUD and it's being assembled here in Thailand so that conversion is pointless.  Also bear in mind the competitive pricing of MG's existing models here, there's no reason for the T60 to be priced any other way, that means it'll be undercutting it's competition.

25 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What do you know that makes them a worse bet than any others?

Well they are saving money somehow. I could suggest material quality, steel dimensions, cheap electronics....

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Well they are saving money somehow. I could suggest material quality, steel dimensions, cheap electronics....

Of course, you could, so could I, but we'd be speculating if we didn't know, which is the point I addressed to the poster. 

Without any specific experience, it could also be suggested that the quality of their comparable materials, steel and electronics are up to the same standards as their competition, couldn't it?

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I don't know. They are an unknown entity with an unproven record, and as such it makes them inferior.

Why should I take a chance?

Also,  they are perceived as inferior and as such would have a lower resale price.. 

I assume I am not the only one who feels that way, so to that degree it makes them inferior.

whether it is true or false it is irrelevant,,

Well, from that point of view I would claim that Isuzu pick up trucks are also what you describe as inferior or crap.
Yet, they are the best selling vehicles in Thailand.
Other than as a farm or company car I wouldn't buy or ride them.
Can't get it why so many Thais have them as personal cars...
They're horrible to drive

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You won't be buying it in AUD and it's being assembled here in Thailand so that conversion is pointless.  Also bear in mind the competitive pricing of MG's existing models here, there's no reason for the T60 to be priced any other way, that means it'll be undercutting it's competition.

I agree and have also said so, all the info we have is from Australia, what will happen in Thailand and how they will be priced remains to be seen.

Personally I don't think they are that competitive priced in Thailand .

The ZS x is priced at 789.000

but it seats 5. it has an anemic 1.5 l motor , an ancient design 4 speed transmission

and has no off road capabilities. 

For 200.000 more you can buy a true midsize SUV with good reviews, a capable Diezel, six speed automatic, that seats Seven. In my mind it is a no brainer unless you cant come up with the extra 200K in which case you have to settle.

chevy1.JPG

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

I agree and have also said so, all the info we have is from Australia, what will happen in Thailand and how they will be priced remains to be seen.

but it seats 5. it has an anemic 1.5 l motor , an ancient design 4 speed transmission

For 200.000 more you can buy a true midsize SUV with good reviews, a capable Diezel, six speed automatic, that seats Seven. In my mind it is a no brainer unless you cant come up with the extra 200K in which case you have to settle.

chevy1.JPG

There again the picture + price is for the 2 wheel drive Trailblazer..........  there again it is good value ? [Top model is 1.49 million] as the most you see here is the Fortuner, they start with the 2 wheel drive Petrol @ 1,29 million !! so over 400,000 baht for 2 extra seats a a bigger engine !!

It is up to what people want + can afford, across the road from me the wife [January 2019] got a BMW X3, the husband got a Benz GLC 4Matice [May 2019]  both 4x4..  

Not everyone wants 7 seats...... the last time I had anyone in the back of a car was 1979, so in past 40 years never needed more than 2 seats in a car.... 

where will the  NEW CHEVROLET CAPTIVA 2019 starts with a 1.5 Turbo engine ?  @ 1.29 - 1.63 million ?   will people still want the old Truck based Trailblazer ?

1 hour ago, ignis said:

There again the picture + price is for the 2 wheel drive Trailblazer..........  there again it is good value ? [Top model is 1.49 million] as the most you see here is the Fortuner, they start with the 2 wheel drive Petrol @ 1,29 million !! so over 400,000 baht for 2 extra seats a a bigger engine !!

It is up to what people want + can afford, across the road from me the wife [January 2019] got a BMW X3, the husband got a Benz GLC 4Matice [May 2019]  both 4x4..  

Not everyone wants 7 seats...... the last time I had anyone in the back of a car was 1979, so in past 40 years never needed more than 2 seats in a car.... 

where will the  NEW CHEVROLET CAPTIVA 2019 starts with a 1.5 Turbo engine ?  @ 1.29 - 1.63 million ?   will people still want the old Truck based Trailblazer ?

Why not....?

19 hours ago, sirineou said:
21 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I don't know. They are an unknown entity with an unproven record, and as such it makes them inferior.

Why should I take a chance?

Also,  they are perceived as inferior and as such would have a lower resale price.. 

I assume I am not the only one who feels that way, so to that degree it makes them inferior.

whether it is true or false it is irrelevant,,

"They are an unknown entity with an unproven record, and as such it makes them inferior".

No, that doesn't make them inferior!

"Why should I take a chance?"

Why should you take a chance on potentially getting a better vehicle?  I can't imagine.

"Also,  they are perceived as inferior.."

By whom?  Those who have never tried one and those that have the irrational tendency to refer to everything from China as "crap"?  

"I assume I am not the only one who feels that way, so to that degree it makes them inferior".

No, hearsay does not make anything inferior!

"whether it is true or false it is irrelevant,"

No it's not, if you're trying to make a rational argument!  

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

chevy1.JPG

This is about the MG T60 pickup, not the SUV. 

On 7/14/2019 at 7:52 AM, sirineou said:

it states the price in both Australian dollars  

$34,990 and  USD $36,831

I used the USD for my comparison because I am familiar with the rate of exchange.

I only used this for comparison, and is only speculation. The Thai price could  be totally different (higher or lower)  because of the tax situation and other variables..

That is NOT $US, both prices are in Australian dollars.

ABN holders can drive-away for $34,990 ($36,831 for us regular folk) means people with an Australian Business Number get a tax discount for commercial use, regular Joe Public pays the full price of $36831. (for the top model)

Which would be around 786,000 baht but as it would be assembled here should be much cheaper. That article was also dated November 2017, about the 2018 model......presumably the vehicle and prices would have been updated since then.

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"They are an unknown entity with an unproven record, and as such it makes them inferior".

Would you rather buy a car you know how good it is or a car that you dont know how good it is? 

Why should I take a chance?"

Why should you take a chance on potentially getting a better vehicle?  I can't imagine.

Because with an entity without a track record you could just as easy get a worst vehicle.

By whom?  Those who have never tried one and those that have the irrational tendency to refer to everything from China as "crap"?  

Exactly,  By those who have never tried one, and those who for whatever reason consider things from China crap. Whether  the perception is correct  is irrelevant, what is relevant is that it exists.

Come on people ,these are simple concepts .

Pretty interesting and radical how MG has achieved such tremendous success in Thailand, where nobody will buy anything but a Toyota, Honda or Isuzu. Not just here but also in US, Europe and abroad, it took the Japanese many decades, and later, the Koreans, even more decades to gain the trust of consumers in normally the 2nd most expensive capital expenditure anyone makes in his or her lifetime. 

MG's partner here is CP, and for those who don't know this company you can google it, but because of their huge power over their employees and others, have created special conditions for Thais to buy MGs, in what would otherwise have been another ignored auto brand - think of all the other Koreans and others.

And, most astoundingly, MG (SAIC) Thailand has achieved this with very mediocre consumer ratings for its vehicles outside Thailand. Read the reviews. They are all on google. None of their vehicles stand out. Now, to put this in perspective, the pickup is not strictly an MG, but an affiliated brand, but think of it kind of like GM, an umbrella brand.

So, for those of us who come from a highly critical consumer mindset, we will not see the value in a Chinese pickup or any vehicle until and unless it achieves the quality and price reputation that for example the Koreans have achieved. However, in Thailand, different mechanics are involved. 

Amazing Thailand.

The MG ZS received an okay-ish review on Top Gear which could probably raised even higher for the full electric version if you look at the negative points because except the design none of them relates to the EV.

FOR:
Enormously cheap, strong equipment checklist, surprisingly chuckable chassis

AGAINST:
Naff engines, dire auto gearbox, no active safety kit, totally anonymous design

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/mg-motor-uk/zs

On 7/13/2019 at 8:22 PM, sirineou said:

Thank you for that article.

it states the the top of the line sells for  $34,990 ($36,831 for us regular folk)

at 36.831 usd it will make it 1,137,856.91 bht which would put it inline with what other brands are offering in Thailand.  If that's true I don't see the advantage.

Anyway let's wait and see.

Its Bt.800,000 at todays really crap exchange rate.

LOL @ comparing prices in AUD in Thailand !!

19 hours ago, sirineou said:
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, Just Weird said:

Would you rather buy a car you know how good it is or a car that you dont know how good it is? 

Why should I take a chance?"

Because with an entity without a track record you could just as easy get a worst vehicle.

Exactly,  By those who have never tried one, and those who for whatever reason consider things from China crap. Whether  the perception is correct  is irrelevant, what is relevant is that it exists.

Making the decision myself without the input of those who, by definition, know nothing about the car and whose opinion is, therefore, worthless, is the way I'd go.

With an entity without a track record you could also just as easily get a better vehicle!  No track record doesn't make it bad, just as an existing track record doesn't make the alternative else better.

I don't understand how an anonymous stranger's uncorroborated opinion could be relevant to anyone else in a car purchase.  An uncorroborated opinion is meaningless if you're looking for evidence of a good or bad buy.

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Making the decision myself without the input of those who, by definition, know nothing about the car and whose opinion is, therefore, worthless, is the way I'd go.

With an entity without a track record you could also just as easily get a better vehicle!  No track record doesn't make it bad, just as an existing track record doesn't make the alternative else better.

I don't understand how an anonymous stranger's uncorroborated opinion could be relevant to anyone else in a car purchase.  An uncorroborated opinion is meaningless if you're looking for evidence of a good or bad buy.

So why didn't the Chinese company use a name more in line with themselves. Why buy a UK performance brand name when there is nothing in their line up performance orientated..?

5 minutes ago, transam said:

So why didn't the Chinese company use a name more in line with themselves. Why buy a UK performance brand name when there is nothing in their line up performance orientated..?

How about because there was nothing in their line up performance orientated and they saw a market for that kind of vehicle?

You don't seem to have any objection to all the other brands introducing performance cars that weren't there originally, so why are you picking on MG?

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

How about because there was nothing in their line up performance orientated and they saw a market for that kind of vehicle?

You don't seem to have any objection to all the other brands introducing performance cars that weren't there originally, so why are you picking on MG?

Don't think you understand my point. The Chinese did not use a name related to themselves or make one up, they BOUGHT a UK performance brand name as a ploy to hoodwink.....

I wonder if their MG name purchase allowed them to use the "MORRIS" name, if they had I would not be so negative...????

On 7/15/2019 at 1:12 PM, billd766 said:

So is this

and this

and this

They damn photos didn't come out for some reason and I can't delete the files.  

I'm sorry.

MGA.jfif 9.25 kB · 7 downloads MGB.jfif 9.53 kB · 0 downloads For Sale_ MG MGC GT (1969) offered for GBP 21,000.html 391.89 kB · 3 downloads

The photos don’t show because you used an obscure file format that most software cannot read.

“.jfif” ?? 

Don't think you understand my point. The Chinese did not use a name related to themselves or make one up, they BOUGHT a UK performance brand name as a ploy to hoodwink.....
I wonder if their MG name purchase allowed them to use the "MORRIS" name, if they had I would not be so negative...[emoji39]

Please stay with reality and facts. Yes, MG3 is crap, seriously. The MG ZS got better, EV version even more. So why can't this pickup be a good car?

All brands and manufacturers have their ups and downs influenced by several factors.

Ford Focus, gearbox issues and just recently it surfaced they knew about this very well.

Volkswagen and other German brands with the diesel scandal.

Non automobile examples, Nokia was leading mobile brand until it went down.
At that time no one knew about Samsung mobile phones. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

Please stay with reality and facts. Yes, MG3 is crap, seriously. The MG ZS got better, EV version even more. So why can't this pickup be a good car?

All brands and manufacturers have their ups and downs influenced by several factors.

Ford Focus, gearbox issues and just recently it surfaced they knew about this very well.

Volkswagen and other German brands with the diesel scandal.

Non automobile examples, Nokia was leading mobile brand until it went down.
At that time no one knew about Samsung mobile phones. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples

You have also missed my point regarding the use of the MG name....

Archived