MG keeps up the momentum with Extender pickup

3 minutes ago, MikeN said:

The photos don’t show because you used an obscure file format that most software cannot read.

“.jfif” ?? 

That was how it came from th sites I Googled.

Oh well, live and learn to save them as .jpg next time.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That was how it came from th sites I Googled.

Oh well, live and learn to save them as .jpg next time.

When you use Google page type in photos at the end of what you typed..

38 minutes ago, transam said:

Don't think you understand my point. The Chinese did not use a name related to themselves or make one up, they BOUGHT a UK performance brand name as a ploy to hoodwink.....

I wonder if their MG name purchase allowed them to use the "MORRIS" name, if they had I would not be so negative...????

Your point was not that complicated, I understood it.  They bought MG and it's assets and used it for a completely new range of vehicles.

So who are they "hoodwinking" and into what?  They don't make any claims that the current MGs are 'performance cars'.    You will remember the MG 1100/1300, Metro, Maestro and Montego powerhouses (!), how come you aren't suggesting that BMC were hoodwinkers also or is it just the Chinese that qualify for that distinction?

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Your point was not that complicated, I understood it.  They bought MG and it's assets and used it for a completely new range of vehicles.

So who are they "hoodwinking" and into what?  They don't make any claims that the current MGs are 'performance cars'.    You will remember the MG 1100/1300, Metro, Maestro and Montego powerhouses (!), how come you aren't suggesting that BMC were hoodwinkers also or is it just the Chinese that qualify for that distinction?

The MG name has always been a performance brand name, Morris wasn't.

The BMC (BL) cars that you mention with the MG badge were their performance options. Twin carbs and whatever else, though for some reason the Maxi twin carb was called an HLS....

1 minute ago, transam said:

The MG name has always been a performance brand name, Morris wasn't.

The BMC (BL) cars that you mention with the MG badge were their performance options. Twin carbs and whatever else, though for some reason the Maxi twin carb was called an HLS....

"The MG name has always been a performance brand name, Morris wasn't".

The current owners, who are the only one's that count, are not claiming, anywhere, that it is a performance brand.

"The BMC (BL) cars that you mention with the MG badge were their performance options".

They weren't performance cars, they were twin SU-ed, badge-engineered 'performance' cars hoodwinking BMC/BL customers into thinking they were getting a performance car! I know we had an MG 1100 in '66.

The current owners, who are the only one's that count, are not claiming, anywhere, that it is a performance brand.

"The BMC (BL) cars that you mention with the MG badge were their performance options".
They weren't performance cars, they were twin SU-ed, badge-engineered 'performance' cars hoodwinking BMC/BL customers into thinking they were getting a performance car! I know we had an MG 1100 in '66.

There were turbo versions too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I know we had an MG 1100 in '66" 

That was my very first car !  ????  

What I dont like, is that they (MG) appear to market it as a British car,(not in this pick-up so far) yes it is a British brand, but its Chinese owned made etc. They do push the British aspect, clever marketing maybe but to those that dont know (Thais) they/some/many think its still a British car ! in my experience.

They seem to buy brands known in a particular field, then use that as a "front", with everything else Chinese behind it, but cleverly keep that low key but not hidden.

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Think you are lost on the MG thingy and what was deemed performance back then.......

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

What I dont like, is that they (MG) appear to market it as a British car, yes it is a British brand, but its Chinese owned made etc. They do push the British aspect, clever marketing maybe but to those that dont know (Thais) they/some/many think its still a British car ! in my experience.

They seem to buy brands known in a particular field, then use that as a "front", with everything else Chinese behind it, but cleverly keep that low key but not hidden.

Which is the point I have been trying to make....I think I saw on a boot badge with the Union Jack incorporated........????

Just now, transam said:

Which is the point I have been trying to make....I think I saw on a boot badge with the Union Jack incorporated........????

Yes exactly!  and the huge Union Jack plastered on the roof of some Models. They played a similar game with Benellie motorcycles, known Italian brand etc, now Chinese owned made etc.

Just now, Just Weird said:

Not of the 11001300, there weren't!  We were talking about the plain, MG badged hoodwinkers, not the later Turbos.

If memory serves, the main issue/change back then was the fancy grille and twin SU carbs, happy to be corrected but thats as I recall it.

16 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

What I dont like, is that they (MG) appear to market it as a British car, yes it is a British brand, but its Chinese owned made etc. They do push the British aspect, clever marketing maybe but to those that dont know (Thais) they/some/many think its still a British car ! in my experience.

I know what you're saying but it's now also a British company and they have a UK factory.

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Not of the 11001300, there weren't!  We were talking about the plain, MG badged hoodwinkers, not the later Turbos.

The 1100/1300's that were badged MG were not hoodwinkers, they were A series engines the same as used in Mini Coopers. Even the 1275 Cooper S was basically the same power plant with the go faster top up. In fact I cloned Mini Cooper S's by using 1100 engines using twin SU's or a Weber...Do some reading chap..

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I know what you're saying but it's now also a British company and they have a UK factory.

Well, happy to be corrected on that, that is something I thought had long since finished, good to know.

1 hour ago, transam said:

The 1100/1300's that were badged MG were not hoodwinkers, they were A series engines the same as used in Mini Coopers. Even the 1275 Cooper S was basically the same power plant with the go faster top up. In fact I cloned Mini Cooper S's by using 1100 engines using twin SU's or a Weber...Do some reading chap..

They were 1100/1300 engines with an extra SU, nothing else, I know, we had a new '66 MG 1100.

Present day MGs are not hoodwinkers either, do some reading, chap. 

1 hour ago, transam said:

So not really 'S" engines with the extra stud then? Done the wrenching don't need the reading.

I'm wondering if all the modern 'MG' fans would be so keen if we removed the MG badge and called them something like WooHoo instead.

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

They were 1100/1300 engines with an extra SU, nothing else, I know, we had a new '66 MG 1100.

Present day MGs are not hoodwinkers either, do some reading, chap. 

MGA/B/C, MG Midget, Austin Healey 3000/Sprite all used basic BMC engines, A/B/C engines, the same fitted in sports cars and ordinary saloons. The difference between them for the MG and Healey was cam and induction (twin carbs)...My point again, BMC used the MG name for it's performance rides.

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Making the decision myself without the input of those who, by definition, know nothing about the car and whose opinion is, therefore, worthless, is the way I'd go.

With an entity without a track record you could also just as easily get a better vehicle!  No track record doesn't make it bad, just as an existing track record doesn't make the alternative else better.

I don't understand how an anonymous stranger's uncorroborated opinion could be relevant to anyone else in a car purchase.  An uncorroborated opinion is meaningless if you're looking for evidence of a good or bad buy.

track rec·ord
/ˈtrak ˌrekərd/
noun

1. the best recorded performance in a particular track-and-field event at a particular track.
    • the past achievements or performance of a person, organization, or product.
      "he has an excellent track record as an author"

and not the an anonymous stranger's uncorroborated opinion""

1 minute ago, DILLIGAD said:
2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Metro/Meastro & Montego.

I'm well aware that there were some Turbos but we were talking about the plain, MG badged hoodwinkers, not the later Turbos!

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I'm well aware that there were some Turbos but we were talking about the plain, MG badged hoodwinkers, not the later Turbos!

So why did you pay the extra for an MG 1100 if it were a hoodwinker..?....

38 minutes ago, transam said:

So why did you pay the extra for an MG 1100 if it were a hoodwinker..?....

Interesting reading and videos on YouTube for these old cars.

I know nothing about these 1100 cars but a custom Google search shows the MG version of the car to have 2 x carburetor, large inlet valve cylinder head, pressed steel exhaust manifold and higher profile cam. Bits from the engine were popular with tuners of early mini cars.

Archived