R. Kelly 'arrested on federal sex trafficking charges'

snoop1130

R. Kelly 'arrested on federal sex trafficking charges'

_107845490_gettyimages-1132147647.jpg

GETTY IMAGES

R. Kelly is in custody after being arrested in Chicago on sex trafficking charges, according to reports in the US.

There are said to be 13 charges against the singer, including child abuse images and obstruction of justice, according to the US Attorney's Office in Chicago.

The 52-year-old was arrested by NYPD and Homeland Security officials.

He's already pleaded not guilty to more than 20 sexual offences.

Full Story: https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-48960545

While I presume this man is guilty, just based on the sheer number of plaintiffs, the number of charges, and the frequency of charges over the years, I think this whole federal sex trafficking thing sounds like some major nonsense to me. Here is the definition:

Sex trafficking is the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, obtaining, patronizing, or soliciting of a person for the purposes of a commercial sex act, in which the commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such an act has not attained 18 years of age (22 USC § 7102).  

My guess is that the women he got with were underaged, but were willing. Therefore a statutory rape charge would be applicable, but the sex trafficking charge would be nonsense. They have expanded the stature to fit nearly any sex involving a minor, and it appears to be a PR stunt. 

I am not defending Kelly on any level. The guy seems like a genuine creep. Just saying the Feds are out of control.

Archived