BANGKOK 21 July 2019 13:29
SUDIP

Need help

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Standard Mbikes in Thailand have no damage insurance. Only medical cover. 15k baht is far too much. offer 2k. Police nothing to do with it. Guy trying to scam you. 

Rent a mobike .... then you need to take your chances.  Unless your holiday insurance covers rental damage. 

Many holiday insurances exclude 3rd party accidents from riding a bike. A registered licence may help. If you prang a rental m/c (and there's no injuries) try to fix it first. Assuming you have the funds and time to arrange the repair.

Basically it's 'caveat emptor'.

Small bikes when rented don't have the insurance you really need. you break it you fix it!

In fact full insurance for any bike is expensive and troublesome to obtain. 

Negotiation is the best way forward. Forget about ' I was right you were wrong'. Decide what you will pay for your folly.

Edited by alacrity
poor redaction
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

The OP hasn't been back.

Because it's a troll.. 

Take the bike, along with the owner to a shop that sells that particular brand. They will be able to provide a quote for the cost of repairs (parts and labor), and that's what you should give the owner. I've personally seen people do this several times at the Honda dealer in Patong while waiting for my bike to be serviced.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Take the bike, along with the owner to a shop that sells that particular brand. They will be able to provide a quote for the cost of repairs (parts and labor), and that's what you should give the owner. I've personally seen people do this several times at the Honda dealer in Patong while waiting for my bike to be serviced.

I knew a m/c rental company owner in Chiang Mai. He freely admitted to making more money from repairs than rental, but would happily agree to extend the rental period of the damaged bike until the customer had it repaired at Honda. He said nobody ever did, because Honda would generally take 2-3 days to get and fit the parts (probably longer on Phuket), and the customers were usually at the end of their holiday.

Edited by BritManToo