Beware Auto renewal membership trap

JackDenz

Just a warning for those of you that have signed up for membership of sites requiring auto-renewal of subscriptions.

Before moving to Chiang Mai last year I joined a few sites to learn more about Thailand, including Thaivisa!

Two required a subscription of which Internations.com was the most expensive @ US$59.40 It turned out to be just a money making scheme with little interest so I never used it and forgot all about it until the charge came through.

Previous experience was that just before renewal was effected the organisation would email warning of the upcoming charge. Not so with Internations, or many others, who leave it all up to you. Checking Google I found there are millions of people who forget about the renewal and find out only when the charge hits their credit card.

In my case Internations point blank refuse a refund whilst Retirecheap Thailand were quite understanding and offered full refund which I eventually declined when I learnt that a good portion of the fee is used to support a local orphanage.

• Confused 1

Chargeback???? to whom.

The point of the topic is very clear, be aware of auto-renewal.

Don't sign up thinking you will have notification of charges before they happen, you generally won’t. It is not called a trap for no reason. Check Google or any other search engine and you will find articles from the Telegraph etc. that expose this money grabbing problem. My reference to Internations is specific because they do not deal honestly.

As soon as I see the payment has gone through for anything I have to pay for that I sign up to I go straight to account settings and disable auto update. Rather than rely on them reminding you they're about to take out an auto payment, make them get in touch that it failed.

I really think you need to cut the OP a little slack here. Even the most elementary research will show that once this group of scammers have hold of your payment details you have problems, comparisons with Amazon are way off the mark, this is purely a scam. Even if your card is expired they will hit you with all types of threatening letters and it is quite obvious that many people thought they had unsubscribed were still hit with the renewal charge. Yes if it is a credit card you can try a chargeback, debit card you’re screwed.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/internations.org

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

Some years ago I was using HostGator. You could flip the switch to not renew and they would flip back. So when they renewed and you complained they could ask you if you really did flip the switch. No guess not. Damn!! I played with them going back and forth. Absolutely verified that was occuring. I cancelled which was another nightmare.