Looking for cheap-ish accommodation

SteveK

Hi guys,

I'm needing a basic room in BKK for under 1000 a night - willing to pay for a month up front.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Prefer to be not too far from Sukhumvit but if it's a nice place I am willing to compromise.

Approach any hotel near the red light districts of Sukhumvit and ask for a room discount rate if paid one month up front. You can often get a good deal if you don't mind paying in advance which you would have to do anyway for a very basic apartment. Not to mention that the closer you can get to a red light district the more money you save with transport fees. Plus you get room service, clean sheets everyday etc.

I found a cool apartment hotel place called Sathorn Saint.. walkable from Surasak BTS.. staying near Nana more than a week will drive you nuts.  I also like Siam Privi... in Huai Kwang... both around 500 per night.  My last budget place at Nana was called something like Brown Orchid.. Wifi is always broken, rubbish in the hall.. like old furniture storage... but all would be date friendly.. and of course many places have rock hard beds. 

Oh, and this place is more straightforward about monthly... Has uni girls living there and an illustrious past... Old, but clean and functional with great views.  Get a corner room.. http://www.seaoflovemansion.com/index.htm

S6 Sukhumvit Hotel. Used to be called the Crown Hotel in the old days. What a zoo it was. Refurbished and great location for what you want for everything including nightlife. Great old lady Thai owner. Just a wonderful person. I would bet you could cut a deal with her for 1 month or even a couple weeks at $850 or so. 

Try the Agoda website. They have prices to suit every budget.

I normally stay near the airport when I am transiting through Bangkok. 3 star hotel, comfortable room, aircon, restaurant, pool, massage shop. Usually 650 baht/night. I'm sure there would be plenty of others in that price range.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Try the Agoda website. They have prices to suit every budget.

I normally stay near the airport when I am transiting through Bangkok. 3 star hotel, comfortable room, aircon, restaurant, pool, massage shop. Usually 650 baht/night. I'm sure there would be plenty of others in that price range.

Hotels are very competitive in the airport area, which seems to include many places not very close to the airport.  Nothing like those deals on Sukhumvit. 

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

Hotels are very competitive in the airport area, which seems to include many places not very close to the airport.  Nothing like those deals on Sukhumvit. 

You may be right. I wouldn't know, because I want to get out of Bangkok ASAP.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right. I wouldn't know, because I want to get out of Bangkok ASAP.

A friend came in a couple of weeks ago, and said he paid 650 for a good room and included them picking him up and bringing him back for his bus to HH, and a decent breakfast.  Must be a lot of capacity out there.  Agoda works for me too, but anything less than a 7 overall, look out, and pay close attention to the location rating, which can mean a good deal is going to cost you more once transit is included, unless it is simply the courtesy airport vans. 

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

A friend came in a couple of weeks ago, and said he paid 650 for a good room and included them picking him up and bringing him back for his bus to HH, and a decent breakfast.  Must be a lot of capacity out there.  Agoda works for me too, but anything less than a 7 overall, look out, and pay close attention to the location rating, which can mean a good deal is going to cost you more once transit is included, unless it is simply the courtesy airport vans. 

The hotel I stay in charges 150 baht for a reasonably good buffet breakfast, and free transport to and from Suvarnabhumi. I do read reviews in Agoda carefully.

When I travel around Thailand, I simply lob into a hotel, ask the price. If the price is right, I then ask to see the room. Clean, comfortable bed, aircon is all I want. The smell or absence of it makes the decision after that. There will always be at least one good quality establishment for 500 - 600 baht a night in large towns and cities.

Unfortunately, the hotels won't give you the rates available on Agoda, unless it is some guest house dump.. A lot of the B2 hotels are fine, and so is the Nantra chain.  Nantra 39 was one of the last value deals on sukhumvit. 

30 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There will always be at least one good quality establishment for 500 - 600 baht a night in large towns and cities.

Good quality at that price in a desirable area for a tourist are non existent for example on lower sukhumvit and lets face it that's where men chasing ladies want to be

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

Good quality at that price in a desirable area for a tourist are non existent for example on lower sukhumvit and lets face it that's where men chasing ladies want to be

And quite a few chasing ladyboy, too. 

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Royal Asia lodge suk soi 8 is only 1000k including breakfast, bit old but I found it OK

Stayed there once and its very old and The air con sounded like an old jet engine. The promenade is better but harder to get a room 

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Royal Asia lodge suk soi 8 is only 1000k including breakfast, bit old but I found it OK

Seen that place and it is popular, but quite a few are doing bunk beds there, typical suck breakfast, but yeah, can bring hooker to room, and not have to run the gauntlet at Thong Lor. 

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Sorry, I wasn't talking about Bangkok. Cities such as Loei, Petchabun, Udon Thani etc.

As far as chasing ladies go, I have yet to find a city where nothing is available, although I do BMO.

7 minutes ago, moontang said:

I just saw nantra 39 at 489 per night ++, with a pretty good breakfast buffet.. but certainly not Nevada style. 

Great deal and not far from the BTS they must be doing it tough but better bums on beds sub 500 than empty rooms

24 minutes ago, madmen said:

Great deal and not far from the BTS they must be doing it tough but better bums on beds sub 500 than empty rooms

People that over pay are no better, and often a lot dumber, than those who do not. Same with airfare.  I was paying 220 at Siam privi a few years ago.. Had top floor corner room just because they knew me, and maybe knew I gave them a good review.. I'll bet the retard putting his durian garbage in the hallway was paying 550.

I've never refused to stay in a hotel after seeing the room and being disgusted, but only because nowhere will give you a refund after you have paid and I am keeniow. I have stayed in some nasty places though, there a few hotels on Sukhumvit road that are absolutely filthy, riddled with bugs, mould and everything is broken. I've only found one place which I would describe as comfortable at 1100 baht.

It's the freaking centipedes which I cannot stand, just knowing there's one in the room prevents me from being able to sleep, as happened once on Koh Chang.

20 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I've never refused to stay in a hotel after seeing the room and being disgusted, but only because nowhere will give you a refund after you have paid and I am keeniow. I have stayed in some nasty places though, there a few hotels on Sukhumvit road that are absolutely filthy, riddled with bugs, mould and everything is broken. I've only found one place which I would describe as comfortable at 1100 baht.

It's the freaking centipedes which I cannot stand, just knowing there's one in the room prevents me from being able to sleep, as happened once on Koh Chang.

Agoda gave me an instant refund on a filthy place in Chiang Rai that had 3 stars.. took about ten minutes. 

47 minutes ago, moontang said:

Seen that place and it is popular, but quite a few are doing bunk beds there, typical suck breakfast, but yeah, can bring hooker to room, and not have to run the gauntlet at Thong Lor. 

What gauntlet?

Archived