Looking for cheap-ish accommodation

SteveK

1 minute ago, moontang said:

Random passport checks and piss tests for farang walking or in taxi east of Asok. 

If you are worried about that you may as well never leave your room. Your chances of that happening are about 1 in a million.

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Stayed there once and its very old and The air con sounded like an old jet engine. The promenade is better but harder to get a room 

Stayed at Promenade in 2001, feet stuck to the carpet! good blackout curtains though and now just around the corner from lolita's!

I don't use drugs so was never scared of the odd piss-test until I heard about false-positives. They can and do happen to some unlucky people. Some of the old urine test sticks can show positive after taking some western cold and flu remedies. Some articles online state than urine analysis can provide false-positives up to 10% of the time, very worrying when you're dealing with Bangkok police.

26 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I don't use drugs so was never scared of the odd piss-test until I heard about false-positives. They can and do happen to some unlucky people. Some of the old urine test sticks can show positive after taking some western cold and flu remedies. Some articles online state than urine analysis can provide false-positives up to 10% of the time, very worrying when you're dealing with Bangkok police.

And people that legally smoked less than a month before the shakedown.. and <deleted> wants to walk around with their passport? Looks almost as ridiculous as black socks. 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Stayed at Promenade in 2001, feet stuck to the carpet! good blackout curtains though and now just around the corner from lolita's!

Yep stagger out of the soi 8 pub into Lolitas, 20 mins later back in the room or 45 mins if really drunk ????

54 minutes ago, SteveK said:

What's wrong with black socks? Are you a sock racist?

Black absorbs Heat and looks out of place in a city that is hot as hell 11 months of the year.  I have seen 50c in the summer... you don't wear black and you don't wear polyester. 

56 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Initials wouldn't be CH, would they?

Yes! Lol.  And I am not extremely picky.  B2at Night Bazaar was about 300 and 100 times better, but that doesn't alleviate the barking dog issues... It was just simpler for me to skip CR... Phayao is way better, and has better food and nightlife. 

10 minutes ago, Thainess said:

Only "cheap charlies" need hotel rooms "under 1,000 baht"... I can see from your profile photo that you're an expensive Charlie. Go back to your own palace!

Let me break the news to you.. You, nor any other pretentious keyboard warrior, bar owner, English teacher do not determine what price people should pay for a hotel.  I own my home free and clear, cost me about 100 per day, and I even have grounded electric, modern ac, and a new ceiling. 

I used to spend 8 days a month at various Hilton properties.. In Nevada.. 19 per night.. As good as 99% of rooms in bkk... Should I apologize? 

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

Let me break the news to you.. You, nor any other pretentious keyboard warrior, bar owner, English teacher do not determine what price people should pay for a hotel.  I own my home free and clear, cost me about 100 per day, and I even have grounded electric, modern ac, and a new ceiling. 

I rarely spend more than $10-$20/night for a room in any Asian country.

Seems pointless, it's just a place to sleep.

2 hours ago, moontang said:

Black absorbs Heat and looks out of place in a city that is hot as hell 11 months of the year.  I have seen 50c in the summer... you don't wear black and you don't wear polyester. 

But but but - Thais drive black cars because it denotes they are a professional.

2 hours ago, moontang said:

Yes! Lol.  And I am not extremely picky.  B2at Night Bazaar was about 300 and 100 times better, but that doesn't alleviate the barking dog issues... It was just simpler for me to skip CR... Phayao is way better, and has better food and nightlife. 

CR has some pretty good food if you know where to go, although the range is nowhere near as extensive as CM. I'd agree the nightlife in CR is pretty small for farangs.

OTOH, I never do shared bathroom or even stay at a place with bunks, and there are tons of them at 100 THB per night, quite a few in the Sukhumvit area.  So maybe those are the folks that need to come to grips with their finances.  I have been here 6 years full time, and have more than I came with.. 7 years from ss, and insure myself with Tokio Marine....and when these bafoons ask me to teach at their schools, I laugh in their faces. 

OTOH, I never do shared bathroom or even stay at a place with bunks, and there are tons of them at 100 THB per night, quite a few in the Sukhumvit area.  So maybe those are the folks that need to come to grips with their finances.  I have been here 6 years full time, and have more than I came with.. 7 years from ss, and insure myself with Tokio Marine....and when these bafoons ask me to teach at their schools, I laugh in their faces. 

Bafoons? First time I've seen buffoon spelled that way.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

CR has some pretty good food if you know where to go, although the range is nowhere near as extensive as CM. I'd agree the nightlife in CR is pretty small for farangs.

Western food is even more disgusting in CR, and any place with tourists is suspect.  Massage street is likely a ghost town, but as raunchy as anywhere.  A few good noodle shops in CR, using Burmese.  Saw them break a glass in the crushed ice and didn't bat an eye, or drain it.  Lady over by the old bus station had some great stuff, not made to order, though.  Some very fresh stuff at the clock market.  

Western food is even more disgusting in CR, and any place with tourists is suspect.  Massage street is likely a ghost town, but as raunchy as anywhere.  A few good noodle shops in CR, using Burmese.  Saw them break a glass in the crushed ice and didn't bat an eye, or drain it.  Lady over by the old bus station had some great stuff, not made to order, though.  Some very fresh stuff at the clock market.  

There's good Western food at the Chiang Rai Condotel, after they re-opened the cafe. One does have to move further afield from the CR centre to find good restaurants out in the 'burbs. Baked fish with garlic and a cold beer is my favourite, which is available on the lake front at Phayao as well.

The Tops supermarket at Central Festival has a really good salad bar. I usually have my salad with Sai Ua, which comes from a shop near the clock tower. Thais come up from Bangkok to buy kilos of the stuff. Any bacterium or parasite that could live in it has mutated beyond my imagination.

9 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

...and get ripped off on water and electricity charges!

Just pay by the night. But 150 per month for water, 6 per unit of electric, and 3900 for rent isn't exactly getting ripped off.  Perhaps, something happened to you as an altar boy. 

19 hours ago, moontang said:

Just pay by the night. But 150 per month for water, 6 per unit of electric, and 3900 for rent isn't exactly getting ripped off.  Perhaps, something happened to you as an altar boy. 

"Perhaps, something happened to you as an altar boy". 

What? What's that comment supposed to mean?

I said nothing about the value of the rent figure, I referred to the illegal, ripping-off of customers by the hotel by jacking-up the utility prices.

Archived