sub letting condo

Next year I will be living in thailand two weeks each month and in other countries for the other 2 weeks of each month. My intention was to rent a condo on a twelve month contract in chiang mai and rent it out on airbnb or trip advisor for the two weeks each month I will be on my travels. Is it true there are now government regs which would stop me from instigating my plan

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Besides the AirBnB being illeagal, its probably also not allowed under lease terms, most dont allow a sub-lease unless specified in the lease.

Is AirBnB really Illegal? I was thinking if you rent out your room for 1 months contract you could do it by AirBnB as well, as the only Illegal part is the Rent less than 1 month? Or have I missed something about AirBnB?

Is AirBnB really Illegal? I was thinking if you rent out your room for 1 months contract you could do it by AirBnB as well, as the only Illegal part is the Rent less than 1 month? Or have I missed something about AirBnB?

AirBnB is just an information platform operating from servers. They don’t take responsibility for anything, and that is what the small print says. Any poorly connected foreigner renting out accommodations in a Thai condo for less than one month, not

paying income tax, working illegally as an agent, and not reporting to Royal Thai Immigration the stays of aliens(TM30) is risking a lot. The tech-nerds behind the desk in SF AirBnB headquarters, no risk at all.

In San Francisco, Japan, etc. AirBnB was regulated. Why does that not happen here? Think about it. The country where just about everything “illegal” occurs more or less out in the open. Influential people are profiting, fines too small and brown envelopes too large.

2 hours ago, HampiK said:

Its not illegal and has a massiv presence in Thailand

Its illegal to rent out a room for less than 30 days which means the landlord is responsible NOT air bnb

But that doesnt stop the Thousands of owners renting out nightly. Thais of course are above the law

On 7/13/2019 at 12:16 PM, madmen said:

Its not illegal

Sometimes it is. Sometimes it's not; Not so much the company though. Although it could be argued that the company is liable for permitting illegal rentals.

Less than 30 day rentals in Thailand are illegal if the renter is not a registered as a hotel. Which is seldom advised by developers whose interest is solely in selling units.

Surprises me that buyers don't acquaint themselves with local laws before committing to purchase.

The lawyers that represent such buyers in the purchase should be dis-barred.

Welcome to the third world.

Archived