Can I Teach English With Zero Teacher Training?

Please can the community help me put this long running debate to rest once and for all, and I am talking almost 10 years now.

Since I arrived in Thailand, my wife has continuously dropped hints for me to teach English, even though I constantly tell her that I have absolutely no teaching qualification, training or experience of the English language other than I speak it fluently as my native tongue.

Yes I have an extensive vocabulary, yes I have a more than decent grasp of grammar, yes I understand the base structure of my language. But none of this seems to wash with the wife. She thinks because my English is so good... That qualifies me to be a teacher.

To me.. This is akin to hinting that she looks for a job as a mechanic because she can drive.

Yet her position is buoyed by the fact that she used to work at a college and is friendly with the boss there still, and I have been told a position is available for me there if I should choose to teach English. Also her father was vice-principle of a large girl's school in Korat and still wields a certain amount of influence there, and has also assured me he could get me in.

The upshot of it is, They want me to teach, they say they can get me into either location and that it would be easy to just 'wing it'. I however would not feel comfortable blagging my way into a job I have never done, and neither would I have the confidence to stand in front of a classroom full of kids and be able to deliver to them a worthy education in my mother tongue.

Oh, and did I mention I barely speak but a smattering of Thai?... I can get by of course with limited idle chit chat, but to be able to explain to a class of kids what I am trying to convey to them with a very limited knowledge of their language seems bordering on the impossible.

So please, once and for all can all those with teaching experience in Thailand confirm whether or not it is possible for someone like me to walk into a classroom and start teaching children?... I will add though that I had a conversation recently with a guy of Austrian origin in a bar who was teaching English here, who said that is was totally possible depending on the age group of the children... I somewhat disagree though.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Do these job offers come with a Work Permit ? Maybe therein lies the answer.

Its "possible" for me to work as a dentist, its just illeagal and I am not qualified.

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its "possible" for me to work as a dentist, its just illeagal and I am not qualified.

Apparently yes, they do come with a work permit.

1 minute ago, Brewster67 said:

Apparently yes, they do come with a work permit.

How, when a teacher WP requires a qualification and a license.

I think its the difference between "can" you work as a teacher or "may" you work as a teacher.

• Can you ride a bike? Or May I ride your bike?

20 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

So please, once and for all can all those with teaching experience in Thailand confirm whether or not it is possible for someone like me to walk into a classroom and start teaching children?.

35 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

dropped hints for me to teach English, even though I constantly tell her that I have absolutely no teaching qualification, training or experience of the English language other than I speak it fluently as my native tongue.

I retired from teaching in Thailand and these thoughts are just my opinion. Let's look at teaching swimming. To begin with my teaching qualification is in elementary education not physical education. I have had virtually no training or experience in teaching swimming to young students. But, I have been swimming almost from birth.

So can I teach swimming? I could but not very well. There is a big difference between entertaining students for 45 minutes and teaching them something during that same amount of time. Some people are natural born teachers but most are not. I fall into that last group and had to be taught how to teach.

swim.JPG

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think its the difference between "can" you work as a teacher or "may" you work as a teacher.

According to the wife the school sorts out the WP side of things, I have absolutely no idea of the process... The main point of the post though is...

Is it possible for someone with zero teaching knowledge teach English in Thailand?... I am not asking about the technical administration of the authoritative body that presides over qualification of a work permit... This is Thailand remember, they are ways and means of getting round such things here, especially if you are 'connected'.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Not all schools go the route of supporting / providing the documentation to gain a WP.

I believe it's a TESOL that would be advantageous, "Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages."

This would give you the basics and a platform to work from.

Beware the "we'll get the permit" once they find out what's actually required they rarely do, will spin you all-sorts of stories whilst you carry on illegally. Not saying they all do this, but it does happen. Just be aware of vague or false promises as its you who will ultimately carry the can if caught.

Is it possible for someone with zero teaching knowledge teach English in Thailand?..

Yes of course! That's because Thailand is willing to accept people who just want to 'play' at being teachers.  Any other country would politely tell you that being able to speak fluent English doesn't make you an English teacher.

If you don't want to do it don't do it. Don't let others bully you into it.

To teach well requires some skill. It's not just a question of standing in front of a classroom and blabbing away while the clock ticks.

There are other , easier ways to make money in Thailand that don't involve getting out of bed at some ungodly hour.

I doubt you will get a definitive answer to your question.

My first thought is 'not to my family', but that's from the angle of a parent / grandparent expecting a result which has merit. And in the past I lodged serious complaints when the school advertised that it's English teachers were non-Thai fully qualified in terms of:

a). Knowing and using a structured progressive approach to English language development in all skills and

b). Qualified in teaching methodologies, development of teaching materials, classroom management. 

But in fact the 'teachers' had neither a)., or b). above and along with other parents I complained.  

Putting aside, for just a moment, ethics and morality, you ask about whether it's possible.

IMHO with no training whatever it's possible but the lesson(s) likely be disjointed and quality would very probably be very low and a waste of valuable time for all concerned. On the other hand I guess the quality could be improved a little if the 'teacher' did some surfing to gain some knowledge in regard to a)., and b). above but not raised to a standard expected by paying parents.

Further the quality could be improved over time by trial and error, but this approach is way under what parents have every right to expect.  

How much experience does the average Thai get before they step into the classroom? They have a year of work experience but that usually involves making nice and colourful boards in the corridor, doing the grades for the other teachers and getting the somtam from the canteen.

I would suggest the OP, if he really wants to do it, should give it a go and ask for an experienced Thai teacher to be with him for the first week or so.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

No teaching qualification or licence is required at this stage. 

15 minutes ago, puchooay said:

No teaching qualification or licence is required at this stage. 

Why is there a teaching license, if not required ? Can Thais be teachers without a license ?

40 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I believe it's a TESOL that would be advantageous, "Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages."

This would give you the basics and a platform to work from.

Beware the "we'll get the permit" once they find out what's actually required they rarely do, will spin you all-sorts of stories whilst you carry on illegally. Not saying they all do this, but it does happen. Just be aware of vague or false promises as its you who will ultimately carry the can if caught.

Any TESOL or TEFL qualification that requires a certain number of hours of classroom practice will help.  CELTA is a month long TESOL/TEFL course that is very intensive and recognised globally.  That said, it focuses on teaching adults (ages 15+), although the methodology and classroom management skills taught are invaluable.  It can be done in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and, I believe, Phuket.

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Why is there a teaching license, if not required ? Can Thais be teachers without a license ?

There is a system where by prospective teachers can obtain a licence waiver.

Thai teachers will not have a licence when they first start teaching. 

Would advice be given to somebody asking if they could practice dentistry without being qualified, why is teaching English treated so lightly? it concerns the future language skill of the next generation and not something to be messed about with by amateurs and the unskilled with some paper that everyone gets after a two week course.

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Would advice be given to somebody asking if they could practice dentistry without being qualified, why is teaching English treated so lightly? it concerns the future language skill of the next generation and not something to be messed about with by amateurs and the unskilled with some paper that everyone gets after a two week course.

It's not really comparable.  Any exposure to a native speaker of English will benefit Thai kids who rely on Thai teachers to teach them English.  The benefit of doing some kind of TEFL/TESOL course is really for the teacher.  I couldn't imagine how I would have coped if I hadn't done one.

13 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

That old chestnut again.

My daughter can speak great English and Thai. Simply because she has been immersed in both languages since birth. English by me and Thai by my wife. She has also picked up a dialect that is spoken in our region. Any contact with any language, preferably by a native speaker, will help in learning.

Would any of us practice dentistry on her? No. Totally different kettle of fish.

Years ago I moved to Issarn with my ex gf.No other farangs around the area so I had no one to talk to. Ex said no problem there's a Thai lady in the next village whos an English teacher in the school.

I said great I can't wait to meet her. The following week we go to her house for the big meet up. I said hello my name is David nice to meet you.

Well she mumbled something unintelligible and that was pretty much the end of the conversation. Talk about disappointed!

If she was any example of a Thai English teacher I'm sure you will to just fine.Take the TESOL course at least so you have a piece of paper to wave at Immigration if they come sniffing around and keep a low profile.  Keep your nose clean IE: No Jeffery Epstein moments. lol

9 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Years ago I moved to Issarn with my ex gf.No other farangs around the area so I had no one to talk to. Ex said no problem there's a Thai lady in the next village whos an English teacher in the school.

I said great I can't wait to meet her. The following week we go to her house for the big meet up. I said hello my name is David nice to meet you.

Well she mumbled something unintelligible and that was pretty much the end of the conversation. Talk about disappointed!

If she was any example of a Thai English teacher I'm sure you will to just fine.Take the TESOL course at least so you have a piece of paper to wave at Immigration if they come sniffing around and keep a low profile.  Keep your nose clean IE: No Jeffery Epstein moments. lol

Good advice and good observations until you said to get a TESOL for immigration. Not needed.

If the OP has a degree in any subject then he will be able to get the correct paperwork for a WP.

I think on the job training and experiences will be better than a TESOL. I fully understand that a course like this gives good advice but it is not "one cap fits all".

At least get to the school and in a classroom, with a Thai teacher for support if required, and get a feel for teaching and also the levels of the students.

The OP could finish his first day and realise it is not for him. Why spend money on a course now? If he teaches and finds he likes and enjoys it, there is time for that at a later date.

3 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

She thinks because my English is so good... That qualifies me to be a teacher.

I believe it is your wife that should get teached. ???? And not continue to give you illegal ideas.

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

There is a system where by prospective teachers can obtain a licence waiver.

Thai teachers will not have a licence when they first start teaching. 

And that system only goes for thai nationals, due to that a foreigner teching in Thailand needs a license.

Just now, Matzzon said:

And that system only goes for thai nationals, due to that a foreigner teching in Thailand needs a license.

Incorrect. Foreign teachers can teach using a licence waiver. Usually for up to 6 years.

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I believe it is your wife that should get teached. ???? And not continue to give you illegal ideas.

Nothing illegal about it. His wife even said they will get a work permit for him.

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

if you also speak thai fluently, then you will be able to explain

it in a language they can understand, and then you are a perfect fit for it almost, provided you  know noun/verb/adjective etc

But this approach would gain complaints from many parents, they want their kids immersed in English.

In reality Thai English teachers are expected to use Thai language to explain English grammar, end result is that this occupies all the class time because the teacher (to avoid conversation classes) uses all the available time to teach English grammar, but using Thai language.

Plus the reality is that this is well accepted by the education hierarchy. 

Archived