Can I Teach English With Zero Teacher Training?

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

No, they need a teachers licence, I have 2 in my family.

Thais can be teachers without a licence to begin with.

The Teachers' council was set up to manage licencing of Thai teachers. It was only later that they decided that foreign teachers would also be included.

Teachers, including Thai teachers, need to teach for at least a year before they apply for a licence.

Teachers who work in private schools or those that are direct hire at government schools, that did not study and education degree, are given time to study so they can the also qualify for a licence.

Teachers who had taught for a certain amount of time, can't remember how long, prior to the set up of the teachers council are exempt.

6 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

According to the wife the school sorts out the WP side of things, I have absolutely no idea of the process... The main point of the post though is...

Is it possible for someone with zero teaching knowledge teach English in Thailand?... I am not asking about the technical administration of the authoritative body that presides over qualification of a work permit... This is Thailand remember, they are ways and means of getting round such things here, especially if you are 'connected'.

Plenty of schools in various provinces hire foreigners as teacher's assistants, or trainers, and bypass the Teacher's Council of Thailand. Then you do not need a provisional license from Khurusapha and having a Non-O based on marriage to a Thai, an easy start. 

Even when it's not really fully legal, it seems to be accepted by Immigration and labor department. I'm the only licensed teacher at my school, most of my colleagues are employed as trainers....

Please let's not discuss what a professional teacher in Thailand should be like. There are teachers who are good and those who aren't.

When you're working at a high school, it's more important that the students like you, they write an evaluation of you and they could make it happen that a good teacher who cares for his students, but is too strict, becomes an unwanted teacher, replaced by a young backpacker who’s more liked because of his/her physical appearance.

Not too many students at Thai schools are eager to learn English, homework is usually copied of a few classmates who did it by themselves. 

To answer your question. Yes, it's possible to start teaching, I mean all teachers have somehow started at zero. If you've got a degree in any field, you can get three a' two years of provisional teacher's licenses and should you upgrade your existing degree by doing a Diploma in teacher education, or similar, you'd be eligible for the full license.  

I'm only guessing that you're on a Non-O visa/extension, married to a Thai. You are allowed to work on such a type of Non-Immigrant visa and employment is much easier than leaving the country for a Non-B, etc. 

If I were you, look for a school with a 12 months contract and Thai social security. Once you've paid in more than a year, you can continue with this insurance by paying only 438 baht/month, even after employment ends. 

Basically, if you do not have insurance now, it would be a wise move to work at a government school that pays Ss for you for at least a year and you could have very cheap insurance with full coverage for the rest of your stay in LOS.

Why don't you give it a try? Teaching Kindergarten to grade three isn't as easy as it seems, more a job for a female teacher. 

You've gotta be a clown, be funny all day, no matter how much bs's going on around you. Adding the morning ceremony and other "extracurricular activities", it can easily be a tough job, surrounded by screaming kids. 

But grade four to six at a primary, grade seven to twelve at a high school, or teaching at a local Rajabhat uni could turn into something you really like to do. If you do, best of luck! 

Archived