Gabapentin

SenorJorge

I just wanted to spread the word that I tried this anti-convulsant medication for some chronic pelvic pain and it really has helped.  I don't know if it is on the restricted list in Thailand yet, but it is in the United States already in many states.  Of course, its made for seizures, and pain relief is an off-label use.  It works best if your pain is nerve-based.  Generic it is relatively cheap.  Pfizer also makes it under the name "Neurontin", but the generic made by APO is just as good.  I remember the pharmacist in Bangkok that I've gone to for years had it in April.  I was still on the fence about trying it at that time.  I finally got a script from my doctor - 300mg 3 x a day.  Eventually I can work my way up to 900 3x a day.  I am feeling much better on just 300.  Not cured, but just peaceful.  I think that treating pain with this medicine is relatively new so I thought I'd put this out there in hopes that it may help someone.

Just a few comments:

(1) treatment of neuropathic pain with Gabapentin is not "off-label".

(2) Gabapentin is commonly used recreationally.  Despite this, it's available without prescription in Thailand.

(3) It is addictive, and the withdrawal symptoms are unpleasant.

(4) It is probably teratogenic, so should be avoided by women of child-bearing age.

4 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

i've seen this behind the counter at many pharmacies

does anyone know if it helps cut alcohol and benzo consumption? 

No.

And while it has many effective uses it also has serious side effects.  While sold over the counter it is nto advisable to self prescribe.

Use for nerve pain is neither off label nor at all new.

Forget gabapentin, try pregabalin, it's much better and can be found in Bangkok pharmacies as a generic at reasonable price.

It's potentially dangerous with some other medications and alcohol, and can be fairly intoxicating when you first start taking it so advisable to not drive.

I usually buy some of the 300mg caps, I use them as a hangover cure and they are simply incredible! The ultimate hangover from hell can be cleared in an hour.

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

Forget gabapentin, try pregabalin, it's much better and can be found in Bangkok pharmacies as a generic at reasonable price.

It's potentially dangerous with some other medications and alcohol, and can be fairly intoxicating when you first start taking it so advisable to not drive.

I usually buy some of the 300mg caps, I use them as a hangover cure and they are simply incredible! The ultimate hangover from hell can be cleared in an hour.

First I ever heard of lyrica used this way (hangovers).

It depends on your type of nerve pain.  Some treat better with lyrica than gabapentin.  The study on my pain showed gabapentin as much more effective.  I think the reverse is true with pregbalin and fibromyalgia.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No.

And while it has many effective uses it also has serious side effects.  While sold over the counter it is nto advisable to self prescribe.

Use for nerve pain is neither off label nor at all new.

True it was used in the bad old days for persons with neuropathy in AIDS Dx  ( as the good days now of being HIV +Positive, and undectable ) 

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

Prob better to limit your alcohol intake ????

On Sheryls note.. I would definitely not buy gabapentin or lyrica over the counter without seeing a doc first.  First of all, you'll never know how it's going to effect you.  I could totally see someone falling off a motorbike taxi or getting run over by a car in sukhumvit because they didn't know gabapentin and lyrica even on a small beginners dose can make some people a bit disoriented and all over the place.  I have no problem with this but some people really have a hard time the first few days until the body adjusts.  This is why some docs insist you start at night time.  Yeah if you have nerve pain at least call your doc for a script and some insight if he or she will talk on the phone.  Peace

I was on a low dose for a medical condition prescribed by a doctor. Even at the low dose it made me feel like a ZOMBIE. I probably did need it for a period of time for pain. I told my doctor I was feeling like a zombie and he didn't want me to stop it. I defied him and went off by slowly tapering the dose. I felt like I probably needed to be in a rehab clinic as the withdrawal period was horrible. I don't know about heroin withdrawal but not sure if that would be worse. Turns out I didn't need it for pain anymore and am off it. . So happy to not feel like a zombie anymore. This is hard core stuff. Don't take it lightly. My doctor did warn me if I need it again the pain relief results that I did have may not work anymore. Which if true and it may might be another clue as to the hard core brain impact nature of this medicine. So based on my experiences I would say don't go near that stuff unless you're totally desperate.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Everyone reacts differently and dosage also has an effect. There are a wide range of mental/pyschologival effects, some people becoemn anxious, some depressed, soem paranoid...and some nothing much at all besides a bitof sedation.

I was recently given Lyrica for nerve pain after a bad accident and had to stop in less than a week because it was making my legs swell which created more pain than the nerve pain

Definitely one should not drive etc until one is sure how these meds affect you.

Aside from immediate effects,  there are some significant adverse effects from long term use. Including but not limited to:

increased incidence and severity of osteoporosis (and resultant fractures)

Increased incidence of cataracts

These drugs can be very useful in certain conditions but should not be self prescribed nor taken casually and as with any drug the risk/benefit for a specific individual has to be weighed

Yes of course different people react differently. I totally agree the med is useful for pain but the idea of living for the rest of my life feeling like a zombie, which I guess could be seen as similar to depression, wasn't something that I could accept without a fight. So I'm really glad I told my doctor to stuff it.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Everyone reacts differently and dosage also has an effect. There are a wide range of mental/pyschologival effects, some people becoemn anxious, some depressed, soem paranoid...and some nothing much at all besides a bitof sedation.

I was recently given Lyrica for nerve pain after a bad accident and had to stop in less than a week because it was making my legs swell which created more pain than the nerve pain

Definitely one should not drive etc until one is sure how these meds affect you.

Aside from immediate effects,  there are some significant adverse effects from long term use. Including but not limited to:

increased incidence and severity of osteoporosis (and resultant fractures)

Increased incidence of cataracts

These drugs can be very useful in certain conditions but should not be self prescribed nor taken casually and as with any drug the risk/benefit for a specific individual has to be weighed

Sorry to read of your accident but our good fortune it apparently wasn't as severe as accidents can sometimes be.  Glad you are feeling better.

Archived