MFA introducing 10-year Passport; adopts more Security Features

rooster59

MFA introducing 10-year Passport; adopts more Security Features

Tanakorn Sangiam

dfde3f5247c56d87329664a3784103c1.jpg

BANGKOK, 12 July 2019 (NNT) - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is introducing a new a generation of passports, offering an option for 10-year validity, and including iris scan data for added security according to the ICAO’s requirements. The new passport is set to be available in the middle of next year.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Deputy Permanent Secretary Thani Thongphakdi has revealed that the production of the third generation Thai electronic passport, will be undertaken by the DGM Group, the winner of the contract. It is now setting up the systems required for the manufacture of the new passports, which will shorten the request process for applicants to only 12 minutes, from the current duration of 20 minutes.

More passport application centers will be opened, providing services at 500 locations from the current 319 locations. The production of each passport will take only one working day, from the current requirement of two working days. The new passports will have a 10-year validity for persons above the legal age, however a 5-year validity will remain an option. Fees for the two validity options are being determined based on costs and other factors.

The new version of electronic passport will include for the first time, the holder’s iris scan data as another biometric form of identification, in addition to fingerprints collected in the current version of the Thai passport. The new biometrics will allow for more precise personal identification. Safety and anti-counterfeiting features will be enhanced in keeping with the International Civil Aviation Organization’s requirements. The production and roll out of the new passport will start in mid-2020.

The MFA deputy permanent secretary has reassured the public of transparency in the procurement process for the 3rd-generation electronic passport project, with three committees from various agencies auditing the project, under the supervision of the government procurement committee, the so called Superboard, which will be involved in all processes. The MFA aims to improve its services to the general public, minimizing passport application time, and implementing the latest technologies with the passport to prevent counterfeiting or any unlawful use.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-07-13

22 minutes ago, how241 said:

That sound good.  5 years is too short, in my opinion.  I guess a 5 yr. passport does collect more fees for the govt. 

Not necessary so.  Just double the fees for a 10-yr passport and you are back to the original revenue.  Which would be the likely case.

11 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Not necessary so.  Just double the fees for a 10-yr passport and you are back to the original revenue.  Which would be the likely case.

And for frequent travelers (few among Thai people) the chance is higher that it is full before the 10yr are over.

1 hour ago, how241 said:

That sound good.  5 years is too short, in my opinion.  I guess a 5 yr. passport does collect more fees for the govt. 

A Thai passport costs 1,000 Baht. An Australian passport costs $293

27 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

German Passport 10 year costs 69€ aka 80 USD Turkish passport 340€ . Amazing that prices differ that much

33 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Yes, a Thai 5 Yr passport is 1000bht, or about AUD $49 and the 10 Yr Aussie PP at AUD $293 (or a staggering 5700 Bht) for a 48 page, or an option of a 96 page frequent traveller PP for about AUD $100 extra.. With lots of one page visas, this is what I opt for.. 

33 minutes ago, owenm said:

Yes, a Thai 5 Yr passport is 1000bht, or about AUD $49 and the 10 Yr Aussie PP at AUD $293 (or a staggering 5700 Bht) for a 48 page, or an option of a 96 page frequent traveller PP for about AUD $100 extra.. With lots of one page visas, this is what I opt for.. 

But Australians, like all farangs, are rich. Sorry about the sarcasm.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I'm not sure lengthening the validity of Thai passports is a good idea. 

It may just encourage them to work oveseas illegally for longer. 

It's easy for Thais living overseas to to get an expiring passport renewed at any local Thai consulate. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife's passport is going to expire this month. In checking lately, it seems there's no mention of the 10-year being available now... only 5 year.

So the mention in the OP article about the 10-years only becoming available by mid 2020 appears to still be the case. Or at least, they're, not surprisingly, not ahead of schedule on the issuance of the new 10-year variety.

Archived