India is the answer! Indians flood Walking Street after bad week for Pattaya

rooster59

16 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You can´t remove something that doesn´t exist, or is next to non-existing. That information comes from the local and government authories, and should be considered trustworthy.

Where is it coming from then? Do you mean it must be a real foreigner with a big wallet that contribute to the country´s economy? Where might that one originate from? What kind of countries is it that really inject the most dough?

So in your expert opinion seen many Indians eating anything else but Indian ? 

But on the bright side ladyboys already having meetings who will take which side of the roads to welcome big spenders with 70 000 baht gold chains and 35000 cash in the pockets 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Personally, I am very fond of most Indians. I lived and worked in India for some time, and have traveled there on several occasions, and some of the trips were months long. I have been all over the country from north to south. It is an amazing nation, an amazing culture, and I have alot of admiration, respect and affection for the people. Granted, it is not an easy place to travel, and is a place that is only for the very hardy. But, it is rewarding. Alot of the people are smart, curious, ambitious, very helpful, and friendly.

So, in general, I am not in the "let us trash Indians" gang. However, having said that, I think the authorities are making a huge mistake by putting all of their eggs in the India and China basket, and I think they were incredibly foolish to chase away big spending Western tourists. Though there are tons of wealthy Indian and Chinese tourists out there, they do not come to Thailand, for a dozen valid reasons.

The real solution is about encouraging tourists, and ex-pats, from countries that spend real money, to come here and visit. That message seems to have gotten lost, in the fervor to court the Chinese and Indian tourists, many of whom do not spend much money at all here. So, what happened? The Western tourists started to decline in number, and the genius minds at the TAT decided it was time to "lure" the Chinese and now the Indians. They came. But, they did not spend much money. Hotels, restaurants, gift shops, jewelers, galleries, spas, massage shops, bars, and countless other businesses suffered, and will continue to suffer from this extreme myopia, on the part of the officials in charge of tourism. Oh well. Can't say they were not warned. 

The neighbors are trying too hard, and making too much effort, and investing money. Thailand is not. Though this topic relates mostly to tourism, in a way it pertains to ex-pats living here too. So many are now considering other spots. Thailand is making no steps whatsoever, to improve upon itself. On alot of levels, it feels like it is either standing still, or more than likely going backwards. Frankly, the biggest draw at the moment is being close to my wife's family, the food, and the relatively pleasant people. But, I dislike the government, and the level of ignorance being perpetrated by the fabulously inferior educational system here does not appear to bode well for the future of the place. But, despite that, I do think the positive changes are going to come from the youth, who seem to despise the status quo far more than the super conservative older generation. 

I also despise the practice of face, and the staggering level of cowardice that accompanies that weak, pathetic quality. 

It is a real shame, as I find most Thai people to be quite lovely, friendly, warm, helpful and fun to be around. There are many aspects of life here, that I truly enjoy. I am sure many feel the same way. Just wish the country was not moving backwards, (and was instead moving forward under the leadership of progressive minds) due to a system of meritocracy, and a complete lack of forward looking vision. A nice dream indeed.

Moving the country forward? I think not. More like "Moving Thailand backwards at an alarming and breath taking pace".

They are attracting the wrong type of Indian, but they have form in doing that.  For many years they attracted the wrong type of westerner, sex tourists, perverts of all kinds and beer swilling, fat old men with little money.  Maybe they consider the rough end of the Indian visitors an improvement.  

48 minutes ago, BestB said:

So in your expert opinion seen many Indians eating anything else but Indian ? 

But on the bright side ladyboys already having meetings who will take which side of the roads to welcome big spenders with 70 000 baht gold chains and 35000 cash in the pockets 

Never said I have an expert opinion, but I do have an opinion. The one I have now is that you are totally wrong and only out here with one single purpose, which is to blow life into a myth that has been told and shared by foreigners coming to this country for decades.

Regarding eating habits, I am very sure that there are many indians that also try the Thai cuisine, but they mostly eat the food they are used to. Actually not so very different from the usual western foreigner that visits popular tourist spots in Thailand on their vacation. 

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Some 200 Indian business folk

...and all of them trying to sell you a suit.  Yes yes come on.

Actually I wouldn't mind if there was more Indian street food, but I don't think that will go over well with the Thai vendors.  Generally speaking, I've found that Indians are not adventurous eaters, they like to stick to familiar foods.  Within a few days of arriving they're gonna be looking a taste of home, those Thai curries will get old fast.  There's some opportunity here. 

Impressive thing about that pic in the OP is the lack of tawdry places that make Walking St what it is.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Earlier in the week both Pattaya and Phuket were described as empty and virtually devoid of life as tourism had declined by up to 30% year on year making this a terrible low season

Has a bit of '' Honest taxi driver returns bag of cash " ring to it .. 

A week of doom and gloom about who's ( not ) coming to Thailand anymore but then before it's out the Indian's come to the rescue .. 

Onion Bhaji's all round I say .. 

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Never said I have an expert opinion, but I do have an opinion. The one I have now is that you are totally wrong and only out here with one single purpose, which is to blow life into a myth that has been told and shared by foreigners coming to this country for decades.

Regarding eating habits, I am very sure that there are many indians that also try the Thai cuisine, but they mostly eat the food they are used to. Actually not so very different from the usual western foreigner that visits popular tourist spots in Thailand on their vacation. 

It’s a good thing you sure just do not know ????

They scream from baht busses at the ladies,not a baht between them, Teach these girls s lesson on high bar fines, now they can get 5 for one price, lol, lower caste for sure, before friendly Indians, now LoSo Caste

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

67058026_1087873264737341_4267256592207970304_n.jpg

I must say that if the front and second row of people in this photo are representative of Pattaya's Indian community, they appear to be affable, well-groomed, well-dressed, hard-working, and likeable people, totally undeserving of the constant bashing you read on this forum.

Yes, I think it's pure class when I see them trying to negotiate over a 10 baht bus ride. Not forgetting the cup of coffee they shared between four of them, spilling half the cup in the process leaving an eighth of a cup each. IT'S THE FUTURE!!! By the way, the Thais are known for their ability to listen.....NOT.

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

They are attracting the wrong type of Indian, but they have form in doing that.  For many years they attracted the wrong type of westerner, sex tourists, perverts of all kinds and beer swilling, fat old men with little money.  Maybe they consider the rough end of the Indian visitors an improvement.  

You seem to forget ranting about the fat old westerners, that they bring in, on average, 50,000 baht per month, and most bring in 65,000 of more.

That money is spent, largely, in the community, the low end if you wish.

When half of them fall out, disappear, a lot of people at the low end, if you wish, lose their income.

And the Indians, Chinese spend a little in the local Economy.

33 minutes ago, BestB said:

It’s a good thing you sure just do not know ????

Same good thing as you obviously are here to spit out nonsense, myths and to post things that are not understandable. What means: "It’s a good thing you sure just do not know"? Never heard such expression before.

What a great idea. Because we all know what spendthrifts Indians are. How they just throw their cash around with gay abandon. In all parts of the world, wherever you find Indians, you see reckless discretionary spending. Burning money like there is no tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Be careful what you wish for, Thailand. 

Agree, Thailand needs more Indians like a moose needs a hat-rack.

Cheap charlies, low spenders, want to share EVERYTHING from drinks to women and I have even seen them try to haggle down the price of a drink from the bar menu!!

Not Thailand's saviours, just adding to the smell and pollution.

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

67058026_1087873264737341_4267256592207970304_n.jpg

I must say that if the front and second row of people in this photo are representative of Pattaya's Indian community, they appear to be affable, well-groomed, well-dressed, hard-working, and likeable people, totally undeserving of the constant bashing you read on this forum.

There are good and bad people from every nationality. Indians are no different however the do have a (well earned) reputation for being cheap charlies. If it's net tourist dollar spend the Thais are looking for then Indians aren't their answer.

I was in Tesco, near Jomtien, last night and it was full of Indian looking people. When I was leaving I saw the group leader walking them back to the 5 large tour buses that were waiting for them.  What was surprising was that maybe 1 out of 10 even had a bag in their hand.  A few were  holding water bottles or drinks.  Most had nothing. 

Archived