India is the answer! Indians flood Walking Street after bad week for Pattaya

rooster59

2 minutes ago, how241 said:

I was in Tesco, near Jomtien, last night and it was full of Indian looking people. When I was leaving I saw the group leader walking them back to the 5 large tour buses that were waiting for them.  What was surprising was that maybe 1 out of 10 even had a bag in their hand.  A few were  holding water bottles or drinks.  Most had nothing. 

They probably went in to use the toilet facilities.

Note to self: Don't use the toilets in Tesco for the next few days.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, OnTheRun said:

There are good and bad people from every nationality. Indians are no different however the do have a (well earned) reputation for being cheap charlies. If it's net tourist dollar spend the Thais are looking for then Indians aren't their answer.

Nothing to see there it's just "Tony's" advertising his Indian club.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Once there the europeans who flooded Pattaya, then there were those Russians, than came the Chinese and now the Indians, as Thailand is desperate for those tourist's dollars, i wonder who's going to be next...

All tribes of the Amazon...?

Chinese and Indians have always some tension between each other. Staying approx 10 years in China and most of negative (leave Japan out) discussion was related to Indians and Africans. You can also see it from their faces, really not valued at all. So if there is going to be any issues between countries, these tourist places will see some kind of impact as well.

Not been in Pattaya for years, but if its going to change to local Mumbai, its better to have borders and own airport to keep people in and others out. American Indians are still fine even if many times arrogant as well as some educated ones on mainland, but being in India many times and seeing things there, please no, not that stuff. There are plenty of nice things in India but ways of thinking, doing and valuing things by most of people, naah. This is not gonna fly my friends. 

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

And this is what happens when you remove all those prostitutes.  Thailand becomes a multicultural society with dancing in the streets.

Is that a bad thing? It’s the way things are moving in many countries.

46 minutes ago, MrDudley said:

What a great idea. Because we all know what spendthrifts Indians are. How they just throw their cash around with gay abandon. In all parts of the world, wherever you find Indians, you see reckless discretionary spending. Burning money like there is no tomorrow. 

I’m not sure about the ‘Gay’ abandon. You don’t see many in the gay clubs - if any.

Indians are so sweet and I really love their native English a lot.

Amazing is when you meet people from Tamil Nadu ( South India) who nod their head when they mean no and vice versa.

And there's never a problem when shaking hands with the right one, the left is always under the table when they eat.

Alek Dee Boom Shankar! India, where all the rescuer of all people trapped in caves and cages originate. 

My god??? Are they serious! Do they really think that this “tak di na djiiin festival” and “bombay bazaar”will boost tourism in thailand? Where is the policy of good guys in and bad guys out? 

7 minutes ago, ZAKY said:

Where is the policy of good guys in and bad guys out? 

I am not from India, but what a racist negative comment.

Maybe the India have certain culture/other habits but generally, the ones I have met here are not "bad guys".

In fact they seem mostly shy and I would say a little insecure which may be part of their traveling in groups.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I am not from India, but what a racist negative comment.

Maybe the India have certain culture/other habits but generally, the ones I have met here are not "bad guys".

In fact they seem mostly shy and I would say a little insecure which may be part of their traveling in groups.

Most of the ones I met in Thailand are thieves and cheaters!

10-11 years ago if you sat in a beer bar on Walking Street and watched the endless stream of people going by, you'd have noticed that probably 95(+) % of the tourists were "white" (Euro, Scandinavian, Canadian, Australian American, ect). Seeing an Indian or Arab was a rare thing (outside of the "Arab quarter" at least) and an Asian tour group ? Wow - people would stop and stare because it wasn't something you saw very often.

The bars and go-gos would be packed. The owners (and staff) would be giddy with about the money they were making.

Most of my Thai friends at the time owned various businesses - restaurants, bars, hotels. One had a small gold shop. One had a motorcycle shop.

All of them had a Harley (which is how we got to know each other). We'd ride all over the city to different places and often end up parking outside a go-go bar owned by one of the guys. Then we'd go up and down Walking Street visiting different bars/go-gos until the wee hours of the morning.
Every week or so we'd make a trip somewhere (Koh Chang or Rayong or to some Bike Week event upcountry).

There was a distinct "trickle down" effect from all that business. The businesses were making money, the owners were making money, the staff were making money and the businesses that those people frequented were making money, from noodle shops to karaoke bars to motorcycle shops and of course, gold shops.

But then the "demographic" started to change. TAT (I presume) started aiming their promotions at Russia more than Europe/N America and when the Russians stopped coming, they started going after the Indians and Chinese.

All they were looking for was an increase in number of "arrivals" - regardless of whether or not those "arrivals" were actually spending anything. They soon started finding out what a "zero dollar" tourist was (one who pays for their trip back home and literally doesn't spend a penny in the country they are visiting). 

So they saw an increase in the number of arrivals - but never noticed that all those shop/bar/hotel/restaurant owners were complaining that they were losing business big time, as those new arrivals (mostly from China and India) were not-spending-money !

Most of my friends ended up selling off their Harleys (the luxury items are the first to go) and some even ended up selling their businesses as they just weren't making money anymore. Tons of people on the street - walking past half empty (or worse) bars, restaurants and go-gos. Where one motorcycle club had 20+ business owners with Harleys, now I think there are 3 remaining.

Replacing 2 caucasian tourists that might spend 2,000 a night each on food, drink and "fun" with 6-8 people that might spend a total of 200 a night (or less) isn't going to help the economy. 
4 caucasian tourists renting hotel rooms for 1,000/night each or 4(+) people sharing one room for the same price ? Which sounds better to the business owner I wonder ?

I've sat in bars and go-gos that had Indian customers and spent more in an hour than the Indians did all night (at that place at least). I watched one guy sit in a go-go for nearly 2 hours and when he finally left (after none of the girls would sit with him anymore) his small glass of draft beer was still half full (but no doubt very warm and flat by then). That was the only drink he'd bought the whole time. Meanwhile my bill was something like 1,700 in the same period.

Gee - I wonder who the bar owners would prefer as customers ? There is a very good reason why so many "club's" charge an admittance (or "membership") fee before letting any Indians in. It is because that is the only way they will make any money off of them as they will probably only buy a single drink (one drink - even if there are 3-4 of them) and nurse that for 2 hours.
I was sitting next to the owner of a beer bar on Walking Street when a group of 6 Indians stopped in. One spoke to a waitress who directed him to the owner. The guy came over and said that because he'd brought a group of 5 with him, maybe they could get a discount on the draft beer. (I think the cheapest beer was something like 60 baht a glass at the time). He was trying to barter it down to 50 baht - but they only wanted 2 glasses !

Between the 6 of them !

The owner said no as he already had the cheapest price on the street, so they all left to go try somewhere else !

I've watched tour groups of Chinese go into a go-go bar. Each person had a choice of either a beer or a coke (as a part of the tour package). They'd sit for an hour then leave - without spending a penny or giving a single tip or anything. I spent more in the one hour than the entire group of 30+ tourists and I wasn't even trying !

Increasing the numbers of people that aren't spending money is not going to help anyone. It may make the airport numbers look good but it's not helping the economy at all.

(And yes, I have visited India a couple times - short trips though. I also spent 10 years working with a lot of Indians (and Nepalese) in Afghanistan. Most of them were nice enough but if they thought they could get away with **** they'd try it in the blink of an eye.)

If TAT started targeting their promotions back to the "caucasian" countries, they might see a drop in the numbers of arrivals (as fewer Chinese/Indians arrive) but would probably see a large boost in the tourist spending portion of the economy. The trickle down effect of that reaches all the way into the darkest corners of Isaan as most of you no doubt know already !  ????

Will they ever go back to trying to lure the "rich(er)" Westerners back while reducing the numbers of "cheap charlies" they are currently targeting ? Probably not for years to come. You'd need a whole new generation of people in charge that realize that quantity doesn't mean better than quality (when it comes to the spending habits of tourists at least - hard to say that any of them are "quality" in any way) !

But of course, those "richer" Westerners also come with a lot of baggage, much of which Thailand wants to keep out. However, they (the "authorities") probably don't want to admit that the hordes of Chinese/Indian tourists they are bringing in also come with a lot of baggage. I've met a few and these days I try to stay as far away from them as I can.

Looking at the banners they are holding they are trying to promote the Indian nightclubs that have started to pop up.

They are all doomed for failure as the freelance girls won’t go in them as they don’t like Indians, the Indian guys will be attracted to the clubs but will walk in & walk back out again after seeing the club has no girls.

I also doubt the Indian club operators will copy the other clubs by offering free/cheap drinks to the freelancers.

Most of the clubs in Bangkok turn the Indian guys away, so for sure there will be an increase in Indian club goers in Walking Street.

Walking street clubs like Insomnia, 808 and Lucifer would like to follow the Bangkok clubs and turn the Indian guys away, but they simply cannot afford to.

6 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Be careful what you wish for, Thailand. 

I would wish for many more Indians to visit Thailand. They are a lot better than the trashy farangs who visit Pattaya. They dont get drunk and get into fights and they dress decentley! 

Archived