Marrying a Thai woman

Confuscious

When marrying a Thai woman in Thailand, do you need to go to whole process of marrying a Thai woman again at your Embassy?
Is a (translated) copy of the Thai marriage not enough proof for your country abroad to register the marriage?

Embassies do not perform marriages.

It is usually not  necessary to do more than register your Thai marriage at your embassy....and even that is not mandatory. But certainly advisable if there is a chance you would later want to bring your wife to your country for a visit or to stay.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Embassies do not perform marriages.

There are exceptions it seems.

Article 10 of the Family Code of the Philippines states that “marriages between Filipino citizens abroad may be solemnized by a consul-general, consul or vice-consul of the Republic of the Philippines. The issuance of the marriage license and the duties of the local civil registrar and of the solemnizing officer with regard to the celebration of marriage shall be performed by said consular official.”

The same set of requirements apply to Filipino applicants intending to get married to foreigners.

https://bangkokpe.dfa.gov.ph/consular-office/services/other-services/solemnization-of-marriage

28 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Don't do it.

That's what I want to know.
I can imagine that for the case of the Philippino/Philippina they need to do the whole process at their home country (in this case, their Embassy).
But I don't see any advantage in having a "double" marriage.
In the event that the marriage goes belly-up, you can very easy divorce in Thailand.
But in most Western countries you will need to the divorce procedure in your country and that a whole PITA.

17 hours ago, Confuscious said:

That's what I want to know.
I can imagine that for the case of the Philippino/Philippina they need to do the whole process at their home country (in this case, their Embassy).
But I don't see any advantage in having a "double" marriage.
In the event that the marriage goes belly-up, you can very easy divorce in Thailand.
But in most Western countries you will need to the divorce procedure in your country and that a whole PITA.

Why not just do it 'Thai style'? not legal but many, many Thais 'marry' and don't register. When you get old, and IF you are still a couple, you can register then.

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Why not just do it 'Thai style'? not legal but many, many Thais 'marry' and don't register. When you get old, and IF you are still a couple, you can register then.

I need to register the marriage for my Pension and Tax purposes in my country.
But I don't need to do the marriage again at the Embassy.
Just show the Thai marriage certificate with translation.

2 hours ago, remorhaz said:

"Marrying a Thai woman".... is a mistake and you shouldn't do it.  There fixed the thread title for you.

Well in my case you are 100% wrong and 19 years too late.

It is NOT a mistake as many of the posters here seem to think it is. I suspect that many of the naysayers have been bitten by a Thai lady somewhere along the line.

You need to be patient and choose the right woman.

I first met my wife in Bangkok back in 1993 and waited for my UK divorce to come through in 1999 before marrying my Thai wife in the UK.

Archived