Chiangmai 24hr urinalysis for kidney stone?

happysanook

Never heard of it, AFAIK, unless you are passing stones, all it can do is show mineral content or blood from passing stones and that you may get stones - actual stones are found by imaging I believe.

Believe if you have passed a stone and saved it can be analyzed as to makeup which can then probably be used for treatment if that is what you mean.

Many years ago I had pain in the area of my kidneys.

I went to Dr Thavatchai, Loi Kroh Clinic and he had an external feel, then sent me to Ram with a note for a X Ray on my kidneys. 3 small items showed up an Dr T gave me tablets that removed/dissolve the stones.

Some years later I could not pass urine, and I went to Ram. Dr Benikit found my Urethra was blocked and carried out an operation to remove the stone blocking my system. He recommended drinking more bottle water.

Some years later a German Dr that I knew socially, recommended drinking a bottle or 2 of beer for he suffered same problem and he maintained a beer or 2 helped prevent formation of kidney stones. I have had no problems for last 10 years since I follow Drs Orders.

john

I have passed kidney stones in the past. Imaging showed where all of the stones were situated. Stones were caught in a cup with a screen, analyzed and found to be mostly calcium oxalate. Based on that the main advice from my doctor was to drink more water, limit coffee, tea and colas and to limit animal protein and dark leafy green vegetables. He said I should drink a full glass of water in the morning before drinking coffee. Adding lemon to water or soda water was also suggested. Being diabetic I rely on animal protein and lots of vegetables so not doing well with limiting those items but have pretty much followed the rest and have had no stones since.

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2019 at 2:58 PM, lopburi3 said:

Never heard of it, AFAIK, unless you are passing stones, all it can do is show mineral content or blood from passing stones and that you may get stones - actual stones are found by imaging I believe.

Believe if you have passed a stone and saved it can be analyzed as to makeup which can then probably be used for treatment if that is what you mean.

24 hour urine extremely useful. Tells a lot about what's going on and dietary changes to recommend.

Thanks for all replies.

never heard of it. they do ultrasounds in US and here. If its calcium stones, have to cut back on foods high in calcium and drink more water. high calcium foods include milk, cheese, broccoli, eating too much meat, etc. Beer, as it has alcohol, is a diuretic - dries out your system. not recommended. Beer can also lead to uric acid stones. Blood tests can detect levels of uric acid in the blood and kidney functionality. Uric acid buildup can also cause gout. Common test here in Thailand and US. All the hospitals can do.

On 8/18/2019 at 2:32 PM, Rama said:

never heard of it. they do ultrasounds in US and here. If its calcium stones, have to cut back on foods high in calcium and drink more water. high calcium foods include milk, cheese, broccoli, eating too much meat, etc. Beer, as it has alcohol, is a diuretic - dries out your system. not recommended. Beer can also lead to uric acid stones. Blood tests can detect levels of uric acid in the blood and kidney functionality. Uric acid buildup can also cause gout. Common test here in Thailand and US. All the hospitals can do.

24hr urine is one of the most basic tests when determining kidney stone cause in an individual.

Actually not having enough dietary calcium can contribute to causing kidney stones too (yes, too much is not good), and moderate alcohol has an inverse association with kidney stone risk. Excessive drinking of course not recommended.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:42 AM, koosdeboer said:

I have my 24 hour urine analyses done every 3 months. Mine is for M protein. Sripath and center of medical excellence does it.

They don't do the 24 hour M protein test in the weekends.

They also check other things?  (Calcium, protein, oxalate, potassium, magnesium, uric acid, phosphorus, citrate)..

What is the cost of the 24hr urine at Sriphat and Center of Medical Excellence, and which Doctors are you seeing? Thanks!

16 hours ago, happysanook said:

They also check other things?  (Calcium, protein, oxalate, potassium, magnesium, uric acid, phosphorus, citrate)..

What is the cost of the 24hr urine at Sriphat and Center of Medical Excellence, and which Doctors are you seeing? Thanks!

urine 24 hour (upep) protein electrophoresis; 800 THB

bloodtest, bun, creatinine, cholesterol, serum protein electrophoresis, calcium, cbc; all 1000 THB

Archived