International drivers license

rudi49jr

My girlfriend needs to get an international drivers license, so she can drive my car (on my insurance) in my home country. Does anyone know how and where she can get an international drivers license in the Cha'am/Hua Hin area, and how much that would cost?

Before the usual nitpicking starts: it is called international driving permit (IDP) in most countries.

But even the DLT uses "license" on it's website.

To be sure: for which country will she use that?

They issue an IDP based on 1949 convention.

She has to apply at the Department of Land Transport (DLT), same where Thai DLs are issued.

She needs a standard Thai 5yr license.

I am not familiar with that region. One office is in the Pran Buri district.

The locals should know best.

English site:

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence/

Website in Thai for your wife:

https://www.dlt.go.th/th/driving-license/view.php?_did=90

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:24 PM, rudi49jr said:

Thanks KhunBENQ! And it's for the Netherlands, my insurance told me she needs an international drivers license to be able to drive my car here.

Even though an International Permit is issued for 12 months you may need to check if that 12 months is what you actually can use it for in the Netherlands. I say this because not all countries recognize the 12 months validity. In Thailand a 12 month International Permit is only allowed to be used for the first 3 months of being here. For insurance purposes you must obtain a Thai driving license after that 3 months to stay legal.

If you have a non-EU/EAA driving licence

For citizens of all countries outside the EU/EEA (including the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba), licences are valid for six months from the date you register at your local municipality. After that, you must get a Dutch driving licence.

If you apply for a Dutch driving licence after the six month period then you will need to take the Dutch driving exams. 

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Even though an International Permit is issued for 12 months you may need to check if that 12 months is what you actually can use it for in the Netherlands. I say this because not all countries recognize the 12 months validity. In Thailand a 12 month International Permit is only allowed to be used for the first 3 months of being here. For insurance purposes you must obtain a Thai driving license after that 3 months to stay legal.

Thanks, Ivor. She is going to be here for three months, so the International Permit will do. When she comes over to stay here permanently she's going to apply for a Dutch license.

Archived