Big spending Indians keeping Thai tourism afloat, says media

rooster59

Big spending Indians keeping Thai tourism afloat, says media

download.jpeg.31740d2be35c894941a28c51568fd903.jpeg

Thai media has reported that Indian tourism to Thailand has shown a massive rise.

And the spending power of the average visitor from the sub-continent could help revive the flagging tourist industry.

Official figures from the Ministry of Tourism and Sport shows a slight rise year on year for all tourist arrivals from January to June - up 0.7%.

And revenue from the tourists is also up by 0.3% to 1.01 million million baht. 

But ministry officials have cautioned that the outlook for the rest of the year remains "challenging" with the strength of the baht and global economic stagnation and uncertainty creating an unstable environment for Thai tourism.

That's where the Indians come in. 

While tourism general is barely up visitors from India have risen dramatically.

In June alone there were 180,000 Indian visitors - up 22.2% on June last year. 

And unfair and anecdotal claims that their spending power does not pack a punch are untrue. 

The average Indian visitor spends 50,000 baht on each trip.

The average for a all tourists is 45,000 baht making Indians above average when it comes to splashing the cash.

Indians now rank third on the total number of visitors after Chinese and Malaysians. 

About one in four tourists are Chinese.

Some 19.1 million visitors came to Thailand in the first half of the year. 

Domestic tourism was said to be 76 million individual trips done by Thais - up 5%.

Source: RYT9

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-13

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Indians and Chinese are so important, why not grant them a 30day tourist visa instead of a Visa on Arrival for only 15 days?

Just perhaps it would make it more convenient for staying longer than 15 days and would increase the trip spend.

We used to stay at a nice, cheap hotel Suk area for many years, but cos it was cheap it suddenly got full of Indians. We had to stop staying there cos it was becoming dirtier and smelly. Their other favourite is the Ambassador.  

37 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The average Indian visitor spends 50,000 baht on each trip.

Well on a 30day tourist visa. That's only 1666 Baht per day hardly what I'd call a big spending tourist. 

42 minutes ago, aspenbkk said:

Rubbish i have yet to See a Big Spending Indian in Thailand Ever 4 Share a Bottle of Beer . FAKE NEWS Again Here What a Lot of Garbage. How Can People Be Expect To Take This Rubbish In .

Go to Intercontinental, Novotel and many of those 5 & 4 star hotels around BKK then you will realise. Buy a beer worth THB300 which appears you cant afford.

10 minutes ago, Mike2300 said:

What I see the problem is Europeans shouldn't be here in Asia, they should stay in Europe and Asian in Asia, then problem is solved!

You mean, "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere."  It's been tried.  Then we dropped the the atomic bomb.  

29 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

Well on a 30day tourist visa. That's only 1666 Baht per day hardly what I'd call a big spending tourist. 

EU bagpackers spend merely 300-500 per day. Are they big spending tourist? Havent you seen at Siam expensive retail outlets filled with Indian and Thai buyers. Could hardly see a tourist farang. Yes there are expats farang

6 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

Go to Intercontinental, Novotel and many of those 5 & 4 star hotels around BKK then you will realise. Buy a beer worth THB300 which appears you cant afford.

Was on Novotel rooftop bar in Suk 20 yesterday the whole night, didn't see a single indian.

20 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

These spending numbers are all fake, India got rid of cash so they have to use cards and atms.

Europeans etc bring cash here, none of that cash ends up in dubious TAT statistics.

You seem to be encouraging money laundering????

Seems so ignorant about ground facts. Asians now have more money to spend.

2 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

EU bagpackers spend merely 300-500 per day. Are they big spending tourist? Havent you seen at Siam expensive retail outlets filled with Indian and Thai buyers. Could hardly see a tourist farang. Yes there are expats farang

What a load of... i live next to Emquartier it's filled with farrangs, thais and a bunch of chinese every goddamn day.

Just now, Thaifriends said:

You seem to be encouraging money laundering????

Seems so ignorant about ground facts. Asians now have more money to spend.

No we have a government in germany that doesn't steal our cash and no capital controls, that's called freedom. And that's why we use cash if we want.

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

No we have a government in germany that doesn't steal our cash and no capital controls, that's called freedom. And that's why we use cash if we want.

True but in India there was and still billions of dollar worth undocumented money exist so that was reason for tight control. Most of the people affected were with so called black money which they cant keep at bank and draw freely.

Just now, Thaifriends said:

True but in India there was and still billions of dollar worth undocumented money exist so that was reason for tight control. Most of the people affected were with so called black money which they cant keep at bank and draw freely.

You mean poor people in slums that don't have bank accounts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/world/asia/modi-india-rupee-cash.html

But if you call all these people criminals, that's up to you.

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

European backpackers blazed the tourism trail through Thailand and South East Asia in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. 

Without them, there likely would be no tourism here.

The British invented tourism, first travel agent was Thomas Cook, round about the time we were civilising warring tribes on the Subcontinent and abolishing Thugee, Sutee and female infanticide in India.

Thanks for reply and I am more aware of actual history. Your comments are pathetic and it was not to civilized the thugees but the thugees went there to loot, steal, kill, rape and make 6 millions starve to death

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

You mean poor people in slums that don't have bank accounts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/world/asia/modi-india-rupee-cash.html

But if you call all these people criminals, that's up to you.

It affected many but when you try to clean a system then this is likely to happen. Now the British government is keeping the King Fisher tycoon with all his ill gotten money. Majority of world corruption money is in the UK & Swiss accounts. So these are direct govt double standards.

Most of the money trail in Panama leaks goes to UK. 

Thanks for sharing your views and yes poor people also got badly affected.

Just now, Father Fintan Stack said:

My factual comments are pathetic?

The British abolished all the disgusting practices in the Indian Subcontinent  including burning widows on the husband's funeral pyre (Sutee).

British enterprise built modern India.

Yes UK goes everywhere to steal oil and natural resourses by an excuse of humen rights. Look at London killings in this half year alone.

After stealing, keep politicians who steal more and bring that money as investment. Bank of England never ask where money came from.

Anyways I dont to argue as UK used to be within sun light in the Empire and now hardly any sun light left with Scotland to go then will be an Island like Fiji could hardly see on map

I am at a loss as to how they calculate these spending figures.When I go to Tesco Lotus and buy for example a new washing machine costing ie 12000 baht and pay cash,no one takes my nationality.Same when I eat out,buy anything.When I stay in a hotel,usually it is my Thai partner registers,again they can see I am "white" but could be russian,english,american.So how do they know?

Archived