Big spending Indians keeping Thai tourism afloat, says media

rooster59

Indians big spenders ? Now that's funny , maybe you can find one or two who are filthy rich .  But I would think they would choose another destination than Thailand. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

European backpackers blazed the tourism trail through Thailand and South East Asia in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. 

Without them, there likely would be no tourism here.

The British invented tourism, first travel agent was Thomas Cook, round about the time we were civilising warring tribes on the Subcontinent and abolishing Thugee, Sutee and female infanticide in India.

I thought the Vikings started the tourism industry and back then, they returned wealthier than when they left

5 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

And that's the problem, I am a high spending tourist at around 200k per 2 weeks trip (not including flight). I very rarely use credit cards in Thailand. Most of my spend is cash which is spent in Thailand.

My week in Da Nang (last week), I spent a massive 6,500bht including flights.

And that was splashing out on a $15/night room near the beach.

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My week in Da Nang (last week), I spent a massive 6,500bht including flights.

And that was splashing out on a $15/night room near the beach.

That seems a very reasonable price for 1 week.  But there again that is no doubt a factual amount rather than a stupidly exaggerated figure some others use in attempt to impress TV members.

15 hours ago, aspenbkk said:

Rubbish i have yet to See a Big Spending Indian in Thailand Ever 4 Share a Bottle of Beer . FAKE NEWS Again Here What a Lot of Garbage. How Can People Be Expect To Take This Rubbish In .

I was in LKM in Pattaya last night and some bar has had the original idea of advertising their venue as having free entrance as it now has live music.

I said to a girl I was with across the street "That should be good for the Indians".

"No they still won't let them in" was her reply.

My guess is that figures are being fudged to suit, as per normal practise, much the same as student pass marks, and as for Indians being big spenders, that too I would question. Simply visit Pattaya and observe Indians and how they lure Thai freelance females to perform ACTIVITIES  with upto several male individuals, and at the same time! Do they buy vehicles? Land? Property? Support Thai families? From my understanding, they are disliked more than Westerners by Thai. Some bars even refuse them entry with most Thai expressing their dislike for them.

All I see them doing is going out in gangs of males (where are the females and childten) sitting around hotel pools, lobbies resturaunts etc in packs of male only gangs talking, with no food or drinks in sight, with muliple sharing one hotel room. Do they even go site seeing?

They watch the pennies very very closely and always ask for the lowest price possible, so how can they be considered BIG SPENDERS? More dribble. 

And to indicate that Indians are better than other nationals, I personally find very insulting plus racist. But TIT!

Are tourists to be judged by what they spend? I know many Westerners like myself that have  spent millions of Baht over the years by coming and going or spending lengthy amounts of time within Thailand, and from the goodness of our hearts, spent real money by being over generous helping to support Thai local economies plus tourism over the decsdes, but sadly we have nothing to show for our loyalty, generosity plus polite, compassionate natures apart from being judged!!!! So, because I am not Indian, I maybe considered a cheap Charlie by Thais? TIT

13 hours ago, djayz said:

Just because you see X or Y at Siam doesn't mean they're actually out "shopping". Lots of people go there to cool down, have dinner in the food court (me for example), walk around window shopping, etc. I've seen Bangkokians spending more money in those malls than any other group. Admittedly, the wealthier Chinese visitors are a close second. 

How can you tell if a customer spending money is from Bangkok, Malaysia, Vietnam or any where else in SE Asia. I definitely can't while Thai people can't usually tell a German from an Australian.

13 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

Nationalities spend money differently. Most westerners don’t find LV prices in Thailand to be a bargain; there are only a handful of things I can think of that are cheaper in Thailand than the US (which are available in both in the same quality). 

The data (should) come from ATM, credit card, and foreign exchange. That should give a very real picture. It is likely skewed by one source though. 

Personally, I haven’t seen where Indians spend their money, maybe on gold or something else I have no interest in— but I have heard hotels, restaurants, and tourist attractions are not it. I do not see them in the high end malls or the upper-middle end either. 

Ultimately though, Thailand should be looking at the total economic impact the money spent has— why the ripple effect of each dollar is. Money spent on imported low margin things does not provide much value. 

What are LV prices?

Are Luncheon Vouchers actually available in the LOS?

Even if I believed the cheerleader media and the TAT re Indian tourism recently, how long do you think before they get a snoutful of typical Thai attitudes towards Indians, which are worse than towards Westerners and the Chinese?

Not long at all, methinks.

17 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Well on a 30day tourist visa. That's only 1666 Baht per day hardly what I'd call a big spending tourist. 

Probabaly more than a lot of farang hippies

12 hours ago, BestB said:

As a hotel staff i can tell you like dirt, and these are not even from high casts but markets peddlers, rude, arrogant, obnoxious , no manners,

Well there's a marriage made in heaven.

4 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

That seems a very reasonable price for 1 week.  But there again that is no doubt a factual amount rather than a stupidly exaggerated figure some others use in attempt to impress TV members.

If you are referring to me in that comment then I can assure you that the members on TV (including you) are the very least I need to impress. I am lucky that I am in a very well paid job that affords me some luxury on vacation and when you have an extended family, you will soon understand how money gets eaten up.

You may find this hard to believe but not everyone go's to Pattaya.

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

If you are referring to me in that comment then I can assure you that the members on TV (including you) are the very least I need to impress. I am lucky that I am in a very well paid job that affords me some luxury on vacation and when you have an extended family, you will soon understand how money gets eaten up.

Bit tetchy aren't you ? Why do you think you are the only special one on TVF I was referring too ? Sounds like you have a whole big chip on shoulder about something or else perhaps your well paid job exposes you to some stress. Relax more, take it it easy, money is not the b all and end all in this world to many people on here.

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The average Indian visitor spends 50,000 baht on each trip.

I've just been reading about an Indian who borrowed 800,000 Baht from a friend for his retirement visa application.  It appears that the Indians must share bank accounts as well as other things, so I doubt if 50,000 Baht per trip is an accurate assumption.

19 hours ago, aspenbkk said:

Rubbish i have yet to See a Big Spending Indian in Thailand Ever 4 Share a Bottle of Beer . FAKE NEWS Again Here What a Lot of Garbage. How Can People Be Expect To Take This Rubbish In .

Don't knock it until you've seen it, as I have on many, many occasions, and not only that a few of my friends own bars and restaurants and the feedback from them is exactly the same.

Wait till you see them trying to knock down the price of a drink in a bar, when the prices are clearly stated on the bar menu. A totally cringeworthy moment.

Big spending Indians is an oxymoron, just like military intelligence. They have no place in the same sentence.

And also for the record, I have watched a group of four Indians trying to persuade a girl to go with them, for a grand total of 500 baht, and the two girls they approached refused. However one particularly fat and ugly ladyboy did take up the offer – – must have been desperate, because the majority of working girls refuse to have anything to do with them.

On 7/13/2019 at 5:18 PM, jaiyen said:

We used to stay at a nice, cheap hotel Suk area for many years, but cos it was cheap it suddenly got full of Indians. We had to stop staying there cos it was becoming dirtier and smelly. Their other favourite is the Ambassador.  

So true!  I used to stay at the Grand President on Soi 11, next to the Ambassador.  I will never stay there again.  The staff was extremely rude to Westerners, while giving the middle eastern folks the royal treatment.  Even when I watched different middle eastern men yelling at the staff, one was cursing at the female manager telling her to shut up, that he did not care about her rules, and that she was going to do what he told her to do.  And yes, she did what he told her to do, she gave in to his family would check out when they wanted to check out.  Told her <deleted> your check out time, I tell you when I check out and you will not charge me.  Then loudly with disgust called her <deleted> <deleted> and walked out.  This was in front of a full lobby, and then the manager turned her anger and embarrassment against the three westerners next to check in....  I cut my stay short and went to another hotel.

But in June of this year, almost every hotel I was at in Bkk was like the above, all middle eastern...

25 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Bit tetchy aren't you ? Why do you think you are the only special one on TVF I was referring too ? Sounds like you have a whole big chip on shoulder about something or else perhaps your well paid job exposes you to some stress. Relax more, take it it easy, money is not the b all and end all in this world to many people on here.

Why do you think I was referring to you ? A bit paranoid aren't you ????

1 minute ago, Chelseafan said:

Denying you wrote this now are you or just further bickering on your part ?

6 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

32 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

1 minute ago, geoffbezoz said:

Denying you wrote this now are you or just further bickering on your part ?

If it makes you happy..

Archived