Big spending Indians keeping Thai tourism afloat, says media

rooster59

"The average Indian visitor spends 50,000 baht on each trip."

..including flights?

I would suggest the average visitor from a first world country spends this same amount every 3-7 days on holiday and the average expats living in Thailand maybe every 1-4 weeks..

Its a good job there are many of these Indians to avoid the eventual CLIFF EDGE! :cheesy:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the obsession with daily tourist number reports, phantasy stories, statistics, headlines, hub stories, inventions, anti falang seeding etc. etc. in TH? I have never seen anything close to such bs. info and press. Anybody can enlighten me to this cultural uniqueness? MS >

3 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

True. Thai have a special Thai name for Indians even if born here. Its benign but meant as an insult. I remember a Thai proverb about meeting an Indian and Cobra, and how to deal with them.

From what I read that proverb was regarding a Muslim and a cobra.

7 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Funnily enough that is what an average is. 

Or are you just being mean.

Rooster

You got me.  Nothing mean about it, just saying the "average" does not spread the tourist dollars, help the economy evenly as it would seem to suggest when touting "keeping tourism afloat"

7 hours ago, yogi100 said:

How can you tell if a customer spending money is from Bangkok, Malaysia, Vietnam or any where else in SE Asia. I definitely can't while Thai people can't usually tell a German from an Australian.

You obviously don't (a) live in BKK or (b) walk around with you eyes closed (or nowadays, with your head down glued to the smart phone).

The Bangkokians who shop at these up scale stores actually blend into the surroundings and look like they really "belong" there. 

They're the ones who don't go around wearing flipflops, THB 199 knock-off Polo-shirts and shorts. They are always immaculately groomed, very stylish and have an air about them that just tells you they are the people who those shops were built for. 

On 7/13/2019 at 5:37 AM, rooster59 said:

Big spending Indians keeping Thai tourism afloat

Something had to perform that "miracle" after what the submergence of the Phoenix, the reduction of so many foreign currencies rates, and the new visa and health insurance proposals and enactments, etc, have done to reverse the sinking of tourism from so many affected countries.

'nuf sed.

26 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Something had to perform that "miracle" after what the submergence of the Phoenix, the reduction of so many foreign currencies rates, and the new visa and health insurance proposals and enactments, etc, have done to reverse the sinking of tourism from so many affected countries.

'nuf sed.

Well it will not be the high spending Indians, which are now crowding out the place and I have just had a rather alarming experience at my local supermarket where I saw them quite easily outnumber the droves of Chinese.

Walking round in small groups, of mostly men, and filling their trolleys up with sweets, sweets and yet more sweets with the occasional packet of biscuits or a cheap T-shirt thrown in. 

So between these baskets and trolleys of cheap crap and the Chinese trolleys full of other cheap crap, I can't see Thailand making a killing on the Indian tourists as has been touted by TAT.

Sad, so sad (as Elton John would have said).

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

You got me.  Nothing mean about it, just saying the "average" does not spread the tourist dollars, help the economy evenly as it would seem to suggest when touting "keeping tourism afloat"

Whoooosshh!! ????

Mean = average. Geddit?

Rooster's still got it. Even at his age. ????

On 7/13/2019 at 5:03 PM, DLock said:

If Indians and Chinese are so important, why not grant them a 30day tourist visa instead of a Visa on Arrival for only 15 days?

Just perhaps it would make it more convenient for staying longer than 15 days and would increase the trip spend.

Why not have had a Memorial Service for the 48 poor souls that perished at the hands of Thai greed and ignorance 1 year ago on the " Phoenix "

Maybe the Tourists are glad they only get a 15 Day Visa. Its only 15 Days the Thais have in which to kill them all off.

Just a dose of reality, I travelled to India recently, the five star hotels charge OVER $200 per night, and are full of Indian business people.

I went to some bars in Bangalore, and was shocked to find it chock full of teenagers (working in I.T.) and spending far more than I would like (average drink $5).

India is growing up, and scarily, but of-course, Pattaya sees only the dredges of the lonely guys, IF Indians wish to visit in droves, they could easily lift up the financial situation here, but we need those rich Indians, not the idiots from the south, who share a meal between 4 etc.

25 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well it will not be the high spending Indians, which are now crowding out the place and I have just had a rather alarming experience at my local supermarket where I saw them quite easily outnumber the droves of Chinese.

Walking round in small groups, of mostly men, and filling their trolleys up with sweets, sweets and yet more sweets with the occasional packet of biscuits or a cheap T-shirt thrown in. 

So between these baskets and trolleys of cheap crap and the Chinese trolleys full of other cheap crap, I can't see Thailand making a killing on the Indian tourists as has been touted by TAT.

Sad, so sad (as Elton John would have said).

You buy enough sweets and it will add up to 50,000 baht per holiday... Those suitcases they're lugging to the airport must be really heavy!

As for the Chinese; all the boxes they are filling up with, again, sweets and other cheap merchandise, some businesses (Big C) are certainly making a killing! Well done, Thailand...

19 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Just a dose of reality, I travelled to India recently, the five star hotels charge OVER $200 per night, and are full of Indian business people.

I went to some bars in Bangalore, and was shocked to find it chock full of teenagers (working in I.T.) and spending far more than I would like (average drink $5).

India is growing up, and scarily, but of-course, Pattaya sees only the dredges of the lonely guys, IF Indians wish to visit in droves, they could easily lift up the financial situation here, but we need those rich Indians, not the idiots from the south, who share a meal between 4 etc.

No-one denies that there are many (very) rich Indians, but, as with other nationalities, Thailand with its dirty beaches, sewage-polluted sea, air pollution, lack of customer service and language skills, numerous scams (starting right at the airport with the 'no meter' scam), and unstable political situation, will never be able to attract a sizable number of those...

2 minutes ago, cerox said:

Air pollution has already been solved, last time within 7 days, you need to be up-to-date ????

Yeah, right. All the tourists must be coming to Bangkok for the fresh air, perhaps on doctor's recommendation...

Only because people don't drop dead, doesn't, necessarily, mean that there is no air pollution.

always something within 48hrs to rescue the tourist figures lol .

why they can't admit truth of tourism under performing due to world economy, visa/political/environmental inconsistencies and Baht fx rate is beyond logic .

People in trades in any major tourist site know the decline in head count and baht count, long term tourist also major decline and they pumped in some steady baht and kept lot of thai small businesses viable and busy .

8 hours ago, Denim said:

Ah....so Southall finally lost its appeal. No beaches I guess

Did it ever have appeal, I lived in Southall for about 6 months in the early 70's, not much appeal then, and last time in the UK about 10 years ago, I ventured  there out of curiosity - seems there was even less appeal and definitely gone further downhill. 

On 7/13/2019 at 6:16 PM, CeeGee said:

I am at a loss as to how they calculate these spending figures.When I go to Tesco Lotus and buy for example a new washing machine costing ie 12000 baht and pay cash,no one takes my nationality.Same when I eat out,buy anything.When I stay in a hotel,usually it is my Thai partner registers,again they can see I am "white" but could be russian,english,american.So how do they know?

They not know, only use AI, the problems who know if AI said wrong or right ?

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Did it ever have appeal, I lived in Southall for about 6 months in the early 70's, not much appeal then, and last time in the UK about 10 years ago, I ventured  there out of curiosity - seems there was even less appeal and definitely gone further downhill. 

Like I said , the Grand Union Canal struggles to keep up with a tropical beach. Having said that , I have spent many happy hours cycling its towpath for miles on end without breaking a sweat. Nice. Really nice.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, geoffbezoz said:

Denying you wrote this now are you or just further bickering on your part ?

If you are referring to me in that comment then I can assure you that the members on TV (including you) are the very least I need to impress. I am lucky that I am in a very well paid job that affords me some luxury on vacation and when you have an extended family, you will soon understand how money gets eaten up.

You may find this hard to believe but not everyone go's to Pattaya.

Why do you think I was referring to you ? A bit paranoid aren't you ????

You're not by any chance that fellow in the Harry Enfield Show are You?

On 7/15/2019 at 1:38 AM, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm..... I think “big spending Indians” is an oxymoron( and extremely unlikely I suggest)

You've obviously no idea of the amounts they bring in and spend on shopping, fancy hotels - think Lebua, Anantara, Kempinski etc, go stand in their lobbies and count the number of Indians walking in and out. 

On 7/14/2019 at 1:39 AM, Reigntax said:

I thought the Vikings started the tourism industry and back then, they returned wealthier than when they left

Would you like us to clean up England for you ? We can do that in no time.

Just need to ask for permission from Thor and Odin , it's been a while.  

Archived