Where's the best place to buy sunglasses in Thailand?

ghworker2010

I used to buy them (Aviator) in US military bases for a 100 usd, that's a bit more fair value than here, tho i still have the ones i bought like 15 years ago there, so quality wise i guess you can't say anything wrong

If you want something really lightweight, with superb quality i can recommend Mykita glasses, sold in Niche Nation stores and made in germany.

They got ultra thin titanium frames, you barely notice wearing them, it's quite a nice feeling

PS: Buy only the normal ray ban glasses, not the mirrored ones, they scratch super easily

9 hours ago, VBF said:

You beat me to it!

I usually buy about 3 or 4 pairs there - some of them might be fake Rayban or other designer labels, others are just unbranded but they all do the same job. I've found them to be good for driving in as well. When I break or lose them - don't care! Having said that, I'm presently using a pair that has lasted well over 2 years.

If you prefer polarized ones, they have those for about 100Baht as I recall.

I recall about 5-6 years ago on the universities in BKK checked the UV protection from sunglasses in the stores and the copies on the street and mostly found the copies on the streets provided same protection. 

i have bought real sun glasses here its a rip off and i dont trust they are real and the glasses i bought after 2 year all the lenses crazed, save your money or buy off the internet and have them shipped to you here it a lots cheaper also.

54 minutes ago, Tomahawk21 said:

really ?

Yes. 

The etched logo (RB) on the lens is one of a ~ thirty or so giveaways.

As with most designer/higher end stuff there are real vs. fake videos on Youtube.

Prices are a bit cheaper (now) in the U.S., very generally speaking: 2140's 5,000 THB (on sale) here, 4,700 THB (on sale in the U.S.).

18 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Ray Ban is considerably more expensive in Thailand than in Europe for example. The pair I bought cost me 90 Euro on amazon and in the store they wanted 8 or 9000 Baht for it, which was almost 200 Euro back then.

Depending on what the income tax on sunglasses in Thailand is, if you have to pay it at all, you might still be off cheaper if your order them online and have them sent to you.

Yeah, that income tax [sic] on sunglasses is a deal killer.

17 hours ago, petemoss said:

Easy to tell if Ray Bans are fake or not.

Chinese are known for making indistinguishable copies of things. I think there is a much greater chance over here people are getting goods like this. I am not even saying this is a big problem, just that the market for it in a country like Thailand which lacks certain regulations, i am sure it is much more likely. 

Back to my original point: here you are paying way more, and at least as far as i am concerned it is much more likely you can get a (perhaps very good) copy.

In short, shopping for most brand names here is lose lose as far as i am concerned. 

12 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

really ?

Yes. There are quite a few indicators as to whether they are fake or genuine. My preferred method is to read the serial number on the left arm. Pop the number into google and it will return with a number of criteria. Model, lens type colour etc. Fakes invariably either don't have the serial number ot it's random and doesn't match the glasses in your hand.

Detail basic dimension and sunglasses specification.
For Example: RB2140F-901.
RB2140F : Wayfarer / Ray-Ban sunglasses code.
F: Fitting for Asian Market.
901 : color green
52–20 : size
150 : temple
3N : non-polarized
(3P : polarized)

main-qimg-66b7be65470bbdf66dff5c4a443ee4ad

A quick clue, in Thailand, is the case. Always sold with the correct case for the model and Ray Ban lens cleaning cloth. In Thailand, often the case is offered separately and no lens cleaning cloth - fake.

4 hours ago, petemoss said:

Yes. There are quite a few indicators as to whether they are fake or genuine. My preferred method is to read the serial number on the left arm. Pop the number into google and it will return with a number of criteria. Model, lens type colour etc. Fakes invariably either don't have the serial number ot it's random and doesn't match the glasses in your hand.

Detail basic dimension and sunglasses specification.
For Example: RB2140F-901.
RB2140F : Wayfarer / Ray-Ban sunglasses code.
F: Fitting for Asian Market.
901 : color green
52–20 : size
150 : temple
3N : non-polarized
(3P : polarized)

main-qimg-66b7be65470bbdf66dff5c4a443ee4ad

A quick clue, in Thailand, is the case. Always sold with the correct case for the model and Ray Ban lens cleaning cloth. In Thailand, often the case is offered separately and no lens cleaning cloth - fake.

The Chinese were making 100 dollar bills some time ago. Some experts came in and analyzed them using all the required tools.

After the expert analysis, they reported a few of things. The counterfeits were completely, 100% indistinguishable to laymen (even to themselves to some extent), the chinese bills were "better" with ink bleed. Ironically, that was the only way they could tell them apart. The chinese counterfeits were actually "better". 

On 7/14/2019 at 2:36 PM, Pilotman said:

There is a reason that they are the number one choice for most aviators and mariners and have a US contract to provide sun glasses to combat aviators and troops.  

I think this is incorrect. Randolph Engineering currently manufacture the US militarys Sunglasses, and before that it was American Optics. 

Rayban were originally created to help with the glare pilots suffered from the sun's rays (hence Ray-ban), but I don't think they have been supplying them for many years. 

I have two pairs of wayfarer style Persol sunglasses. These are the best quality sunglasses on the market. Both lens and frame. A favorite of many Hollywood stars. Boxe and papers, bought in States. These are totally unavailable in Thailand. Guaranteed original.

New b6000

Used b4750

Original box, receipt, etc.

For a medium to large size face, glasses on heavy side.

Price is not negotiable.

PS I've seen fake Ray Bans in optical shops here. Be careful.

IMG_20190716_171626.jpg

IMG_20190716_171645.jpg

On 7/16/2019 at 5:20 PM, Number 6 said:

I have two pairs of wayfarer style Persol sunglasses. These are the best quality sunglasses on the market. Both lens and frame. A favorite of many Hollywood stars. Boxe and papers, bought in States. These are totally unavailable in Thailand. Guaranteed original.

New b6000

Used b4750

Original box, receipt, etc.

For a medium to large size face, glasses on heavy side.

Price is not negotiable.

PS I've seen fake Ray Bans in optical shops here. Be careful.

IMG_20190716_171626.jpg

IMG_20190716_171645.jpg

Wat kind of optical shops do you visit. 

On 7/19/2019 at 2:10 PM, elcaro said:

Wat kind of optical shops do you visit. 

I would not trust any optical shop in Thailand personally. 

Rutin Eye Clinic as needed.

These were purchased online in US from a reputable retailer. They are absolute originals. I have all the boxes and papers. 

I'm too lazy to dig out the paperwork.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:45 PM, VBF said:

You beat me to it!

I usually buy about 3 or 4 pairs there - some of them might be fake Rayban or other designer labels, others are just unbranded but they all do the same job. I've found them to be good for driving in as well. When I break or lose them - don't care! Having said that, I'm presently using a pair that has lasted well over 2 years.

If you prefer polarized ones, they have those for about 100Baht as I recall.

There not the same at all. While it's difficult to rationalize 9000b sunglasses you do get what you pay for. 

When I see people wearing fake anything it just gives me a good chuckle. All style, no substance. Price of everything, value of nothing.

Great sunglass lens' are amazing. You can stay in the sun for hours without headache.

4 hours ago, Number 6 said:

There not the same at all. While it's difficult to rationalize 9000b sunglasses you do get what you pay for. 

When I see people wearing fake anything it just gives me a good chuckle. All style, no substance. Price of everything, value of nothing.

Great sunglass lens' are amazing. You can stay in the sun for hours without headache.

Well I actually buy them NOT for the label but for how good they are. At that price if you do get a duff pair, you just chuck 'em or wear them in the swimming pool. Bit like the "designer" shirts - whether they have an alligator on the pocket or not they're good shirts that may be worn and washed many times over - couldn't care less whether silly people think I'm a poser and if it gives those silly people a good chuckle, my mission is complete! ???? (Oh by the way, I've been doing this since I first went to Thailand in 1985 - the price has certainly changed but I can still get VFM.)

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Well I actually buy them NOT for the label but for how good they are. At that price if you do get a duff pair, you just chuck 'em or wear them in the swimming pool. Bit like the "designer" shirts - whether they have an alligator on the pocket or not they're good shirts that may be worn and washed many times over - couldn't care less whether silly people think I'm a poser and if it gives those silly people a good chuckle, my mission is complete! ???? (Oh by the way, I've been doing this since I first went to Thailand in 1985 - the price has certainly changed but I can still get VFM.)

And like the designer shorts. We can argue whether they are worth the cost, the value but some people simply don't see the difference in quality. To them it's certainly not worth spending the money on 'little alligators'. For myself I do see the difference and appreciate the quality. It often lasts far longer, holds up better. My last pair of Persol sunglasses lasted almost ten years. My Omega watch is worth no less than 25% more than I paid for it 13 years ago (second hand). Having bought a Casio or even Seiko that's money in the bin. Aside from b60 flip flops I only buy quality footwear. I only buy name brand luggage. I would only buy a Bell motorcycle helmet.

The junk eyewear can actual harm your eyesight. I'm not being alarmist or scaremongering. You're not going to go blind tomorrow.

I have no need to wear branding and avoid such clothing and such. But despite hating Apple my 110gb iPod still works. I would only buy a branded TV or laptop. Although I'd be perfectly fine with an absolutely a generic mobile phone with stellar specs at some cheap price because that is a total commodity.

Fake cologne or some cheap brand? Gold plated jewelry. Got you covered bro.

23 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

And like the designer shorts. We can argue whether they are worth the cost, the value but some people simply don't see the difference in quality. To them it's certainly not worth spending the money on 'little alligators'. For myself I do see the difference and appreciate the quality. It often lasts far longer, holds up better. My last pair of Persol sunglasses lasted almost ten years. My Omega watch is worth no less than 25% more than I paid for it 13 years ago (second hand). Having bought a Casio or even Seiko that's money in the bin. Aside from b60 flip flops I only buy quality footwear. I only buy name brand luggage. I would only buy a Bell motorcycle helmet.

The junk eyewear can actual harm your eyesight. I'm not being alarmist or scaremongering. You're not going to go blind tomorrow.

I have no need to wear branding and avoid such clothing and such. But despite hating Apple my 110gb iPod still works. I would only buy a branded TV or laptop. Although I'd be perfectly fine with an absolutely a generic mobile phone with stellar specs at some cheap price because that is a total commodity.

Fake cologne or some cheap brand? Gold plated jewelry. Got you covered bro.

In general, I agree - it's about commodities vs "expensive capital items" except that my £12 Casio watch that's at least 5 years old has had 2 new straps and batteries but like "Trigger's Broom" is the original. Watches are subject to loss, theft, breakage, (I'm clumsy!) therefore buy cheap - commodity 

My feet have issues so I cannot wear flip flops so i buy Kito sandals (with Velcro straps) - about 1 pair every 6 months at about 3 to 400 Baht. Need to pay extra for quality shoes for the same reason - Commodities but "needs must"

TV? Quite agree - got to be a brand name - mine's a Sony, my laptop Toshiba, my phone a HMD Nokia  - "expensive capital items" as is luggage.

All other clothes - commodities - go for VFM as long as it looks smart. With things like shirts I'd buy 3 for 1000 Baht rather than 1 for the same price. Oddly, as I've said above, the "designer lookalikes" ARE usually good quality - I've had some for years.

Sunglasses - discussed already.

Don't ever wear jewelry or cologne but do treat myself to expensive aftershave (Paco Rabane) which i buy in UK high street stores not Asian markets.

If people don't like my "style" - look away - i'm happy in my own skin!

Hey, it's all down to personal taste and perception of VFM - my dosh, my choice - your dosh, your choice ???? (Those are cheap sunglasses - can you tell?)

• 1 month later...

Archived