BANGKOK 21 July 2019 20:07
Jingthing

Grab Food Delivery, it's great but there are issues

So what has happened to the old delivery companies? Door 2 Door and Nicks. Just seems odd using a taxi service. 

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Just as with the grab car service you are asked to rate the drivers. I always rate 5. They would probably have to vomit in my food to get a 4. Seems the least I can do. I assume they are probably rating customers too. I'm not confident I'm always getting 5s with that restaurant confirmation business.

When ask to rate anything out of 5 I always work on the principle that 3 is average or standard. To award 4 or 5 requires something exceptional.

So what has happened to the old delivery companies? Door 2 Door and Nicks. Just seems odd using a taxi service. 

It may be odd but its clearly going to be dominant. You can track the movement of the bike the entire way. Of course there are other delivery options and some places such as the BBQ shack in Jomtien do their own deliveries. I don't know the policies about the various options as far as a restaurant having multiple options but I doubt Grab restricts that. It seems more laissez-faire to me.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Posted (edited)

doing restaurant food delivery (and other delivery) in Pattaya. 

My Rant:

The day I cant get off my ass and walk or bicycle to a restaurant to feed myself is the day I have totally given up on life.

I mean really - too hot outside for you?  Too much rain and you don't want to get your flip flops wet? 

People are just getting lazy as heck in my opinion.

Rant over, and in all likelihood, will likely use this service sometime.  55 

At least you are providing employment to a thai guy with a motorbike

Am over 60 BTW, and also too frugal to eat/pay the cost at most brick and mortar establishments

Edited by Skallywag
  • Sad 3

Just now, Skallywag said:

My Rant:

The day I cant get off my ass and walk or bicycle to a restaurant to feed myself is the day I have totally given up on life.

I mean really - too hot outside for you?  Too much rain and you don't want to get your flip flops wet? 

Really - people are just getting lazy as heck in my opinion.

Am over 60 BTW, and also too frugal to eat/pay the cost at most brick and mortar establishments

It's not always about that?  I am veggie and live out in the sticks 45 mins away from nearest veggie place. I wanted to use 'Food Panda' but they don't deliver here so might try Grab.

• Like 1

sometimes they will deliver it to your door and sometimes they will make you meet them outside.

Oh my buddha - you have to go outside to get your order - deal breaker for me 55

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh my buddha - you have to go outside to get your order - deal breaker for me 55
Usually not so far in my experience. But it's annoying because it's not clear what they're going to do until they get there.

My Rant:

People are just getting lazy as heck in my opinion.

Like I said they have street food. You can even place ridiculously small orders like for a cup of coffee. This is the Honda Wave of the future whether you like it or not.
For me the best part is easier access to places off the baht bus circuit.

• Like 2

When ask to rate anything out of 5 I always work on the principle that 3 is average or standard. To award 4 or 5 requires something exceptional.
That's mean spirited in the Uber type culture. Most people only grade down if there was a serious fault. Yes it's inflated but in real life if a driver or customer after a high volume of ratings has a 4 then it usually means they seriously suck.

They also have a delivery service for other things. For example if you want to buy a hammer or something. I haven't tried that yet. It's on a separate section of the Grab menu.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's mean spirited in the Uber type culture. Most people only grade down if there was a serious fault. Yes it's inflated but in real life if a driver or customer after a high volume of ratings has a 4 then it usually means they seriously suck.

So scores of 1 - 3 are entirely meaningless? Perhaps best just to stick with a binary option then: good and bad. ✅ + ❎

Uber isnt alone in this nonsense as most hotel/restaurant review sites are the same. I tire of seeing scores of 80% awarded and then reading "this place was pretty bad and I wont be going back".

But am I mean-spirited? No, just precise.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 1

My son is working for a relatively new delivery service called pattayameals.com

They do free delivery across Jomtien, to Naklua and the darkside out as far as the lake.

Seem to have a pretty good and varied selection of food available too at sensible prices.

Worth asking for estimated delivery time though, as they occasionally get a bit snowed under at busy times apparently.

• Like 1

My son is working for a relatively new delivery service called pattayameals.com
They do free delivery across Jomtien, to Naklua and the darkside out as far as the lake.
Seem to have a pretty good and varied selection of food available too at sensible prices.
Worth asking for estimated delivery time though, as they occasionally get a bit snowed under at busy times apparently.
Yeah that's also part of an international trend. Places doing meals for delivery only. Shouldn't be confused with delivery services that list several restaurants.

Anyway my feeling is that Grab food is on the road to most of the food delivery market share here.

So scores of 1 - 3 are entirely meaningless? Perhaps best just to stick with a binary option then: good and bad. +

Uber isnt alone in this nonsense as most hotel/restaurant review sites are the same. I tire of seeing scores of 80% awarded and then reading "this place was pretty bad and I wont be going back".

But am I mean-spirited? No, just precise.

In my opinion you're not playing the expected game and sorry I do consider that mean spirited. Its not as if you're rating students for medical school. I also have respect for working class people braving traffic and getting the job done. I don't expect them to wrap my food delivery in gift wrap.

What would they have to do to get a 5 rating from you?

• Like 2