Survey: Is Thailand’s appeal declining for Western Tourists?

Scott

Survey: Is Thailand’s appeal declining for Western Tourists?  

491 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been a number of threads on tourism and a recent one on the decline of western tourists in Pattaya and it's impact on the entertainment sector.   Which of the following best describes your belief in how the tourism sector is changing.  

Please feel free to leave a comment.

Some recent links on the subject:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1111095-entertainment-tourism-pattaya-for-europeans-is-over-30-down-this-year-official/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1111573-big-spending-indians-keeping-thai-tourism-afloat-says-media/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1111479-india-is-the-answer-indians-flood-walking-street-after-bad-week-for-pattaya/

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand has yet to learn a few basic lessons in the world of today.

It is no longer a quaint exotic destination for westerners. They have seen beyond the smiles and wais and it isn't so attractive.

Regional tourists are much more fickle than long haul & can switch to new destinations quickly & easily.

Social media has accelerated to speed of bad news, and there is plenty here to feed the social media machine.

There are many more regional alternatives than even 10 years ago and the comparisons are less in Thailand's favour these days.

The strength of the baht is a convenient issue to hide behind & is less of an issue than many believe.

Sadly those in government responsible for tourism are as inept as the Trump administration. They have no strategies, only a naive short term promotion fixation. They also do not realise the speed and power of the storms that will engulf tourism here.

When I first visited Bangkok, I could get by on 1000 baht which was about £15 a day. Now I find that I need 2000 baht a day, and now that is £52, that's a massive, massive difference. Had it been this expensive when I was younger, I definitely would have gone elsewhere, maybe the Philippines or Vietnam. I'm sure I would have just as good a time in those places.

Yes I’d say less and less westerners are going to Thailand. I go all the time with my Thai wife and kids and anyone can see that western tourists are not coming anymore. Why you may ask, various reasons, some because there are less westerners traveling these days as a lot of countries are not doing to good themselves but the westerners who are traveling are not coming to Thailand as the word is out that Thailand does not really welcome you like it once did. There seem to be a lot of new rules in Thailand from immigration to police making tourists pee on the street to see if they are on drugs which 99% would not be but the embarrassment on the street would not make you feel good or welcome. 

The political situation does not do Thailand any favors, they need to get a Prime Minister and stick with them, no more coups. I really do hope Thailand gets their act together and treats their tourists well and it can get back to the way it was, so much negative posts online about Thailand these days which is not helping anything. In the mean time countries near by are getting the majority of tourists, look at Vietnam for example. 

I still love Thailand and will still be visiting so they will still get my hard earned $. 

8 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

The ban on alcohol as and when it happens will not leave tourists enamoured when they want a drink with their meals.????

Just get clued up before hand and buy your bottles in advance as I used to do when I was a daily alcoholic .

Just back from a trip to Thailand . I lived there 6 years nack in the 90s BEFORE the mass tourism thing happened . When the Brits still went to Majorca on holiday . Now they go to Thailand and the Thais naturally enough think were all like that resulting in the current state of UNFRIENDLINESS and UNWELCOMENESS I palpatably felt this time . I go there to visit friends but avoid the TOURIST TRAPS of Pattaya and PHUKET etc like the PLAGUE .

I've chosen #1, but also wanted to click on four.

Both are true in my opinion. Just thinking about that I had 2,500 baht more per month 10 years ago, while all has gotten more expensive, is enough for me.

Not even thinking about the atmosphere where foreigners somehow no more fit in. It was much different many years ago.

Thailand did and changed too many things that I'd consider annoying and the current government gives it the rest. 

I think it's a combination of several factors that's at play:

Other countries within the region have become more accessible, so they are increasingly a viable alternative even for mainstream travelers for whom Thailand might already be a "been there, done that" destination.

Many of Thailand's tourist hotspots have become too crowded for an enjoyable vacation. With the prevailing focus on quantity rather than quality, it's inevitable that Thailand loses those travelers who don't want to fight for position at a buffet or at the beach.

Thailand has changed, and for many visitors of years gone by, not for the better.

The exchange rates, higher tax on alcohol, anything that makes Thailand more expensive for a visitor.

Pollution and traffic only seem to get worse. Hardly nice for a relaxing holiday.

The rise in other Asian tourists make Thailand unpalatable.???

Why the heck include this . You dont like Chinese or something . Im British but would MUCH rather have Chinese around than other farang .

The answer is not a simple one.

I get the impression that it as if Thailand expects tourists to come flocking to the country, but no realizing that they forgot to keep pace of high demands expected. The feel good factor is fading, and the general consensus is that tourists are not felt welcome anymore.

Another factor, Thailand has lost it's mystical charm no longer a place of wonder, but a land that has conformed to the trappings of modern-day society. Shopping malls, heavy development, traffic, environmental issues, heavy commercialization, and the general expense of staying in Thailand, are all taken into account.

Of course in the past, Thailand was able to conveniently hide issues when things go terribly wrong. Now with social media, tourists can paint a very realistic picture of their experiences at a press of a button.

Naturally there are other asian countries trying their best to put out the red carpet, resulting in more tourists choosing another holiday destination, and indeed this must be chipping away at the TAT figures.

So Thailand is on a yellow card, the concensus is that if it continues on this path of creating a hostile environment, we will only witness the fall of more tourists (and expats) arriving.

I have 3 mates that visited Thailand annually for their vacations, Bangkok, Phuket, and yes Pattaya, they had been doing this for about 5 or 6 or maybe even 7 years, and really enjoyed it.

Sadly now they have all now stopped coming, and their reasons are that they got sick and tired of being ripped off, even for the smallest things, that said, I was at a food court having lunch today, took the card back to get my change and I noticed later on that I got ripped off 20 baht, my fault, the wife didn't tell me how much I should expect to get back, but when she asked me later on, I told her and she said, no you should have got 325 baht back, not 305 baht and showed me the receipt, with my reply being, you just can't help stupid can you ????

Been living here close to 4 years now and where there is an opportunity Thai's will have a go at trying to rip me off, part of their culture behind their smiles, I don't know, but I do know this, what I have seen here for those years living here, has really turned my stomach, much so that I am starting to seriously look at plan B, i.e. to return to my homeland in maybe 3 or so years, because I don't see things getting any better for those who live in a country that has no self respect. 

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes its declining same as the traffic to this website is declining.

I do not think that is the case, there are lots of topics going on for a long time.

Thaivisa as far as I can see has been more interesting over the past year.

Just now, possum1931 said:

I do not think that is the case, there are lots of topics going on for a long time.

Thaivisa as far as I can see has been more interesting over the past year.

If less foreigners are staying and or traveling to Thailand then what will be the effect for this website?

14 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Been living here close to 4 years now and where there is an opportunity Thai's will have a go at trying to rip me off, part of their culture behind their smiles, I don't know, but I do know this, what I have seen here for those years living here, has really turned my stomach, much so that I am starting to seriously look at plan B, i.e. to return to my homeland in maybe 3 or so years, because I don't see things getting any better for those who live in a country that has no self respect. 

You better run home tail between legs because you will not survive a scam attempt anywhere in SEA !
Some people are just to weak and soft to make it as an expat

some say Thailand is no longer an exotic destination.

there are not many desirable destinations anywhere anymore.  "overtourism" is not just a Thai thing.   

but living here is still quite good, in the rural areas.  fresh and healthy food, local.  not crowded, not expensive leaving money for important things we will all need to adjust to going forward.  and on that too.... not just in Thailand, not at all.

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have 3 mates that visited Thailand annually for their vacations, Bangkok, Phuket, and yes Pattaya, they had been doing this for about 5 or 6 or maybe even 7 years, and really enjoyed it.

Sadly now they have all now stopped coming, and their reasons are that they got sick and tired of being ripped off, even for the smallest things, that said, I was at a food court having lunch today, took the card back to get my change and I noticed later on that I got ripped off 20 baht, my fault, the wife didn't tell me how much I should expect to get back, but when she asked me later on, I told her and she said, no you should have got 325 baht back, not 305 baht and showed me the receipt, with my reply being, you just can't help stupid can you ????

People will try to rip you off in tourist parts of any country, I live up country and all  have see mostly is honesty, especially in the markets, I have never had any feelings of been ripped off.

50 minutes ago, Scutty said:

Just get clued up before hand and buy your bottles in advance as I used to do when I was a daily alcoholic .

Don't think eateries will be too happy with tourists walking in with beer laden plastic bags.....

7 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

If less foreigners are staying and or traveling to Thailand then what will be the effect for this website?

I am not saying that if things get worse it will not affect this website, but what percentage of Thaivisa members do not live in Thailand?

Archived