Survey: Is Thailand’s appeal declining for Western Tourists?

Scott

Survey: Is Thailand’s appeal declining for Western Tourists?  

491 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, madmen said:

You better run home tail between legs because you will not survive a scam attempt anywhere in SEA !
Some people are just to weak and soft to make it as an expat

Pretty stupid comment, run home with tail between legs, to weak and soft to make it as an expat.

You stay then, only because you don't have the funds to return, and enjoy being ripped off and scammed, you probably fit right in.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

People will try to rip you off in tourist parts of any country, I live up country and all  have see mostly is honesty, especially in the markets, I have never had any feelings of been ripped off.

It's also up country, trust me, it's all over Thailand, they see a farang and it's smile and up the price, he can afford it.

After living in Thailand for over 10 years and moving back to the US in 2014, I still follow TV for a couple of reasons to keep up with the news.

There is now the unenviable trip scheduled to Isaan to visit the klan.

It is good to know how the country is changing and what is going on before jumping on a plane with no knowledge and expecting nothing has changed.

I honestly do NOT look forward to this trip what so ever 

The world is smaller place than it was 10 years ago, the options where you can go to today are endless. You may come here 2 or 3 times then want to try somewhere else, somewhere new, somewhere where your money might go further. For those who do watch the exchange rate it is an issue, for anyone who gets on a plane it is an issue, one that TAT does not seem to understand and while ever they keep telling every one that more and more people are coming no one seems to notice the reality of the situation, the reality is accommodation is well over subscribed, far more rooms available than people to fill them.

As far the tourism sector is concerned the other issue is "taking care of the tourists" you can interpret that how you will but too many rip offs and poor service deters people from being bitten twice.

6 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

After living in Thailand for over 10 years and moving back to the US in 2014, I still follow TV for a couple of reasons to keep up with the news.

It is good to know how the country is changing and what is going on before jumping on a plane with no knowledge and expecting nothing has changed.

Probably the same here.  

Just costlier for the sex tourists, but genuine tourists and retirees will find better value destinations. The strong baht very appealing to the rich. They are buying up overseas. Esp London where the £ is hammered by the humble baht.

3 hours ago, brommers said:

Thailand has yet to learn a few basic lessons in the world of today.

It is no longer a quaint exotic destination for westerners. They have seen beyond the smiles and wais and it isn't so attractive.

Regional tourists are much more fickle than long haul & can switch to new destinations quickly & easily.

Social media has accelerated to speed of bad news, and there is plenty here to feed the social media machine.

There are many more regional alternatives than even 10 years ago and the comparisons are less in Thailand's favour these days.

The strength of the baht is a convenient issue to hide behind & is less of an issue than many believe.

Sadly those in government responsible for tourism are as inept as the Trump administration. They have no strategies, only a naive short term promotion fixation. They also do not realise the speed and power of the storms that will engulf tourism here.

I have a Thai wife (24 years married and two sons) and live in the UK. I have lived and worked in Bangkokon and off over the past 40+ years. I am now retired and was going to buy a house there and spend six months a year there and six months in the UK, but not any more. Too many visa/reporting restrictions and I always hated the farang price/thai price malarkey and the farang is always in the wrong.

Pity really I have lots of friends and great family there.

If I was going to try another country it would have to be somewhere where they speak English or Thai, no way have I got the stamina to start with a whole new language from scratch. That makes the Philippines look appealing.

Same for me Steve.

I would go to Vietnam but I do not speak the language, so considering the Philippines.

The negatives of Thailand for me are mostly air pollution and complicated / time-consuming immigration. But I know my way around here and speak the language, so I hesitate knowing in other countries I would just have different challenges.

50 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

People will try to rip you off in tourist parts of any country, I live up country and all  have see mostly is honesty, especially in the markets, I have never had any feelings of been ripped off.

Neither have I. In fact when I have left notes and coins as tips in eating places, (with the exception of the high end ones) I am often followed out and told I left money behind.

Market stall holders are always grateful, when I tip them by walking away from taking change, and this often results in extra in the bag next time I shop there.

The politics being what they are is off putting, and the corruption on so many levels, is an affront.

The TV propaganda needs to cease from the ruling party.

41 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

That's the indicator for it's time to up sticks. When you dread going instead of eagerly expecting it. A couple of years ago my scale tipped and now I'm happier going out than coming in. Scouting for the next place.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That's the indicator for it's time to up sticks. When you dread going instead of eagerly expecting it. A couple of years ago my scale tipped and now I'm happier going out than coming in. Scouting for the next place.

I hope they will have a forum for you.  It would be a shame to waste all of your talent on us.  

4 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

But but I thought the junta said they will change Patts into a world class family tourist destination. Silly me they were just joking.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What does world class mean? Do contributors really think quoting this phrase is a sophisticated dig at Pattaya....or the Junta? Is london world class? Is Paris world class? Pattaya is becoming much more family orientated and many more couples are visiting, unfortunately. The hot spots in Pattaya remain very busy all year round and it is the only cosmopolitan and international city left in Thailand.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Pretty stupid comment, run home with tail between legs, to weak and soft to make it as an expat.

You stay then, only because you don't have the funds to return, and enjoy being ripped off and scammed, you probably fit right in.

Only idiots get scammed and ripped off here. Usualy gullible people with little or no travel experience often with a superiority complex.

4 hours ago, DoctorG said:

You can easily answer yes to both Q1 and 4.

I concur....

European tourists "discovered" Thailand years ago, many originally as backpackers, I guess. Many of those returned for years, going a bit more upmarket as they moved up in their careers. They enjoyed the experience..... loyal customers, they saw little incentive in taking a punt on elsewhere for their couple of weeks package holiday break from winter each year. Additionally, despite the powers that be taking little notice of them, Thailand has remained on the backpacker trail for generally younger, independent travellers.

With other places around SE Asia and elsewhere starting to open up, there was some drift to them starting a decade and a half or so ago, but the big move away for Europeans came with the arrival of the the 2014 coup makers. Their policies regarding the beaches and other things made Thailand less attractive, and loyal customers have been more inclined to look elsewhere since then. 

Tourists from nearby, more authoritarian countries have come in to fill the hotels, but not the beaches, markets, smaller restaurants and bars that have relied on European tourists. 

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

If less foreigners are staying and or traveling to Thailand then what will be the effect for this website?

There will always be the regular booze prohibited days threads to keep the cash tills

jingling, plus the army of disillusioned expats venting their intolerable frustration at

being stuck in a country that they dislike.

I always used to say that I have never been scammed in Thailand. I should have said never knowingly because I never bother to check my bills or receipts. When I first came to Thailand the bills in bars and restaurants just used to make me laugh because they were such paltry amounts - but I sure ain't laughing now.

I ticked 4 based on thoughts of a family, having say 2 young kids. 4 hours on a plane from uk will hold more appeal for them. I don't see them being repeat tourists returning every year.

Younger people will still want to come to Thailand for obvious reasons and maybe will be repeat tourists.

Tourists from China and other nearby countries will be similar to the UK and EU tourists who used to flock to Spain etc but not really repeat tourists.

Well heeled 'quality' tourists may be disappointed with beaches being full of litter and sewage in the water etc and are unlikely to return and may tell friends not to come to Thailand.

The answers are all in the hands of Thailand to do something.

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The answers are all in the hands of Thailand to do something.

No chance of them doing anything. The ultra-rich elite in Thailand are getting even richer with the massively inflated baht, and as you know, they rule the roost. I doubt they give a flying feline faeces about the tourism industry.

It's a shame because Thailand was the first country I explored on my own, and it was a very special experience and great memories for me, but I suppose nothing lasts for ever.

Archived