Survey: Is Thailand’s appeal declining for Western Tourists?

Scott

Survey: Is Thailand’s appeal declining for Western Tourists?  

491 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A well crafted survey, all four choices are basically "yes" it is loosing its appeal. 

In a recent survey 100% of respondants agreed that Thailands appeal is declining. Of course they did, there is no option vote otherwise.

5 hours ago, madmen said:

The hookers are all from villages that come to Bangkok and very few are natives. My Gf makes 87k per month and her sales team are all on 50k, a lot more than most big white pensioners on 20 k !

Big bwana with his tiny pension no longer gets to call the shots unless its some remote village surrounded by chickens and buffalo

Why's she dating an old white guy living in a small condo then?

You must be very hansum!

I know why my gf lives with me, I pay her 10k/month.

This is not in a small village but just outside Chiang Mai, best job she can get after dropping out of university.

It's not the Baht, or the sunken boat.

The drop in tourism is due to Thailand no longer welcoming them.

Why should they come to Phuket?

They will go where they're welcomed.

Nah it's always about the money

Why's she dating an old white guy living in a small condo then?
You must be very hansum!

I know why my gf lives with me, I pay her 10k/month.
This is not in a small village but just outside Chiang Mai, best job she can get after dropping out of university.
Mid 50's and a big condo lower Sukhumvit I own and I never have or will pay a hooker a retainer to pretend she is my girl
I feel sorry for your low self esteem!

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

Mid 50's and a big condo lower Sukhumvit I own and I never have or will pay a hooker a retainer to pretend she is my girl
I feel sorry for your low self esteem!

You've still not explained why your (imaginary?) 90k/month woman wants you.

As you already posted, "it's always about the money"

Today, many people, when on a holiday, expect to get a good glass of wine to their meal, they are here to enjoy. But it’s not possible in Thailand 400 % tax on wine makes good wine too expensive unless you are a millionaire. So, most Restaurants serve you wine from a carton which is wine added up to 20 % juice and God knows what, to reduce the tax.  If you go to a shop to buy a bottle of wine ups, the shops cannot sell wine half the day, it even goes for restaurants too.

Did I mention This is written in 2019.

I think it's still a good place for expats because you know the scams, the tricks, the silly rules etc. and you can work around most of them and let's face it, no place is perfect. You avoid the negatives for the most part and make the most of the good bits.

However, for the tourist it must be getting a real PITA. Imagine going to a place like Phuket which is billed as an exotic party destination and then queuing at immigration to have your fingerprints taken by a scowling immigration officer, getting in a taxi who drives like a madman, finding out it's Buddha day for 2 days of your holiday so you can't party, paying 20 quid for a poor bottle of Wine at Wine Connection, 500 Baht for a 200 metre ride in a TukTuk, air pollution, can't buy a beer from 2-5pm at 7-11, the sea is filthy, can't smoke on the beach, Maya Bay closed, shopping for name brands 50% more than in Europe, 38 Baht to the pound or 22 to the AUD, tuktuk drivers openly mocking tourists as they walk past their stand and beating them in packs if there is any disagreement. Even if you only experienced half of these things, why would you return? 

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I think it's still a good place for expats because you know the scams, the tricks, the silly rules etc. and you can work around most of them and let's face it, no place is perfect. You avoid the negatives for the most part and make the most of the good bits.

However, for the tourist it must be getting a real PITA. Imagine going to a place like Phuket which is billed as an exotic party destination and then queuing at immigration to have your fingerprints taken by a scowling immigration officer, getting in a taxi who drives like a madman, finding out it's Buddha day for 2 days of your holiday so you can't party, paying 20 quid for a poor bottle of Wine at Wine Connection, 500 Baht for a 200 metre ride in a TukTuk, air pollution, can't buy a beer from 2-5pm at 7-11, the sea is filthy, can't smoke on the beach, Maya Bay closed, shopping for name brands 50% more than in Europe, 38 Baht to the pound or 22 to the AUD, tuktuk drivers openly mocking tourists as they walk past their stand and beating them in packs if there is any disagreement. Even if you only experienced half of these things, why would you return? 

How many (in total) non sale of alcohol days in Thailand per year?

I am sure that the average tourist will not suffer too much from few days without alcohol, and their livers may even be grateful for it.

Most tourists would have acquired alcohol duty free if flying in from O/S

Being fingerprinted happens in other countries.

Hopefully less people are smoking now, and considering others.

Thailand is no longer encouraging the return of tourists or it's gven up on attempting to attract them - or perhaps both.

Every few years when we're back in states and we get to chatting with people, my wife tells them she (we) are from Thailand. 15-20 years ago when I was in similar conversation people were interested in my travels in Asia. Last trips with her I bet 50% or more just random people say they've visited Thailand.

I myself got caught in the trap of SEA. Life was good and cheap 1995-2005. I should have seen Africa, Central Asia and E Europe. South America. SEA life was very relaxing and cheap. It is neither of those things any longer. I recall during those times (92-07) I could bounce around SEA spending as little as us800 backpacking including a flight every few months, all transport, visas, simple but private room, alcohol, books, the occasional "date" and a dentist 2x a year. In 2019 I spend that simply living stationary in BKK.

USD 36 vs 30 is 20% of the top excluding price inflation. I bet this country is 35% more expensive than in 2003.

Why are people so concerned about a fall in a certain tourist demographic ?? Unless you own a business reliant on western tourism, what does it matter ? Its a pretty specific group thats in decline, ie: 2 week sex tourists.

To a certain extent any fall is being replaced by another demographic, Asean, Chinese or maybe even Indian.

Is it a genuine concern for the Thai economy or, as I suspect, People just cant accept that western tourists and expats are small slice of the pie nowadays, and getting smaller.

I love low season and less western tourists, no queues, less traffic more parking, resturants not busy, I get my laundry back same day, spare deckchairs at the condo pool. Less chance of running into an Australian footy team on the end of season trip.

9 hours ago, Number 6 said:

But mainly, it's economy. The baht has been manipulated by bot to a point there is repercussions. Exports suffering. Not rocket science actually.

When a government is run by a few, it serves only a few.

The baht has not been manipulated (if so provide link).  If the BOT were to manipulate baht they would manipulate it down.  They couldn't manipulate it in 97 and they still can't.  Sorry bout that.  

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Nothing to do with dubious local currency coupled with mini hyper inflation of goods 'n services coupled with increasingly invasive junta-government, of course. What about the Greenback, Loonie, Euro, Krone, etc etc, are they also too low to make the place viable for their citizens? Try having a break from the place and look from the outside in. 

Thailand inflation rate 1.1 (world bank).  Currency is not dubious it is the strongest in SEA.  Western currencies are dropping in value because of mismanagement of the West - Trump and Brexit. 

6 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

Your girlfriend is not the norm. A job in sales especially properties or medicines are usually very good. In general, a person with a university degree on average earns about 20k/mo or less. They all come to Bangkok to find jobs. Bangkok is not Thailand, most long stay visitors stay outside Bangkok in a village with chickens and buffalo. You would be the only person who think Thai people are high earners. Most people do anything they can and more than one job to survive. 

Many rich Thais live their lives in a bubble like you too.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"

Wrong.  My wife is an engineer and many like her work in the industrial estates that provide jobs outside of Bangkok and push Thailand into the industrial era.  Most Thais are no longer on the farm.  Break your own bubble and visit the Eastern Seaboard.    

50 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

How many (in total) non sale of alcohol days in Thailand per year?

I am sure that the average tourist will not suffer too much from few days without alcohol, and their livers may even be grateful for it.

Actually this is a major issue for many tourists, for whom this long haul two week holiday is something they've probably been saving for and looking forward to all year. With two days spent on the travelling, every day counts, and they will certainly not appreciate being told about a 48 alcohol ban. Many tourists who got taken by surprise with this rule would likely vote with their feet and not come back, nor recommend the place to others. 

18 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

The real question should be: " is Thailand still a pleasant country for the Thai to live in?". Answer this one, and you have your answer. The locals are really not that much different than its visitors.

What a bad example. A country being pleasant for the locals says nothing for a immigrant or expat, neither tourist.
And actually destinations like Vietnam and Indonesia are booming for Europeans, Thailand is the one to blame, not just exchange rates and visa policy only.
They killed every fun and freedom that was once so loved by backpackers and other visitors.

But yes, Thailand is still a pleasant country in general but that doesn't change these facts.

6 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

Would you return if it were a developed country?

Immigration in Europe are no better especially when they see a non European person.

Now you know what it is like when they go to yours.

I am not surprised that you mentioned the status of Thailand as a low grade beneath your kind of a country.

This is quite common from visitors to Thailand. But I am surprised when these visitors are complaining about how badly they are sometimes treated.

Would you be kind to someone who looks down on you?

You don't have to say it. It always shows up one way or another with that thought in your head. They will know it.

Even with my Thai wife on a Thai passport entering the US we have been processed in about 30 minutes. Second to last 20 and last trip 10 minutes thru JFK.

Since when is Europe a standard for anything? Why do you think England wants Brexit as well as half the other EU countries. Europe can't do anything right these days.

2 hours ago, superal said:

Cheap sex ? please tell us where that is and how much . Used to be cheap but not any more , so I am told .

800 baht in lolita's and 1500 for the full works from Nana hotel car park, I believe!

Thailand is expecting new tourists every year instead of really taking care of the ones already in the country. Those are the ones who would come back and tell friends how wonderful Thailand is.

But do not despair, after the farangs, the Chinese, the Indians, there are still many countries to attract,

Mongolia, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Uganda, Syria, Libya, etc....

2 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Can't compare anything before 2008 as well, so many mechanisms in place to manipulate currencies.
In Europe that is called the Euro Stability Mechanism. 

If denying manipulation, worldwide, you should really get your head out of the sand one day and look up as the entire economy globally is based on deceiving other people and defrauding / taxing the rest of the money away gradually.

Truer words will never be posted today. The whole world banking / economy and fiat currency thing is an absolute farce.

Now back to the topic...

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

Truer words will never be posted today. The whole world banking / economy and fiat currency thing is an absolute farce.

Now back to the topic...

Europe not being relevant? We, Holland, own your US ass since the start too.

3 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Europe not being relevant? We, Holland, own your US ass since the start. You are clearly off topic and uneducated in this matter.
Now go back to your Leo beer and join dinosaurs perhaps, keep believing in the distraction truths.

I take issue.

And yes, irrelevant. But I must say, I have always respected the Dutch. Tiny powerhouse of a country. No resources but ability to maintain high standard of living. A tad bit brutish during the colonial period making grand hypocrites today.

The Dutch don't own us, the Chinese do!

33 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Most Thais are no longer on the farm.  Break your own bubble and visit the Eastern Seaboard.    

One Mapthaput makes Isaan not. Yes more work in menial factory jobs than on the fields now, but it's still arse up to skies planting rice up in the north. Go take a visit.

7 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

Immigration in Europe are no better especially when they see a non European person.

5 mins for wife to clear Finnish immigration a few weeks ago. Took me longer and I'm a native. They smiled to her and grunted at me. I felt right at home. Much better I'd say.

Archived