Consumer experience thailand

Mikisteel

I think it's a hierarchical thing based on a fake belief with these sales staff.

Because you request there assistance maybe they believe they know more than you and can therefore try to steer you wherever they want regarding choice. That probably works with some thai people and when it does not they retreat and give up and provide phony info.

Ecommerce could solve a lot of these problems it just needs tweaking a fair bit before trusting it for this type of purchase.

• Like 1

Looking to buy a small upright freezer.  I could see that I would have to wait while they ordered it - this from several stores.

Finally got a HomePro clerk to wait on me.  No Hab Panasonic.  I say check your online site.  Oh yes, have to order.  Yep - and one week delivery is fine with me.

I live beyond 30 km free delivery zone so 800 baht to deliver.  I say no - deliver same price but folks get a bit nasty saying no so I walk out.

Wrote HQ from their website - actually got a very quick response!

Offered a delivery discount from 800 to 375.  I say no.

Free delivery arrived today and waiting for the unit 'resting' now before starting it up.

Pays to be persistent at times...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, fredge45 said:

Looking to buy a small upright freezer.  I could see that I would have to wait while they ordered it - this from several stores.

Finally got a HomePro clerk to wait on me.  No Hab Panasonic.  I say check your online site.  Oh yes, have to order.  Yep - and one week delivery is fine with me.

I live beyond 30 km free delivery zone so 800 baht to deliver.  I say no - deliver same price but folks get a bit nasty saying no so I walk out.

Wrote HQ from their website - actually got a very quick response!

Offered a delivery discount from 800 to 375.  I say no.

Free delivery arrived today and waiting for the unit 'resting' now before starting it up.

Pays to be persistent at times...

Good luck with your fridge, fredge. ???? 

• Haha 1

Mikisteel - "I don't complain about the first guy but it's painful to have to go through such a charade for something which should be so easy to do."

"I don't complain about the first guy...".

Why?

Just now, JimmyJ said:

Mikisteel - "I don't complain about the first guy but it's painful to have to go through such a charade for something which should be so easy to do."

"I don't complain about the first guy...".

Why?

I don't blame him and the manager apologised to my wife about the guy not checking other stores so he knew what had happened from our question, he guessed it, so I'm thinking it happens a lot.

I only went on the rampage to demonstrate to my wife we should never give up. I read Buddha quotes to my Mrs a fair bit as a lot of them are just common sense.

That day I recall a specific quote:

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if Ihave said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense,”

It just did not make sense what he said so it was great to show the Mrs how pushing a bit can lead to a different result.

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I've encountered very similar situations dozens of times. It seems that many Thais in shops, banks etc are terrified of having to deal with a farang - "mai mee" and "mai dai" seem to be the best way of getting the odious farang off the premises ASAP. It's highly frustrating, this whole lying to save face thing is outrageous.

Especially annoying with the banks, because it undermines confidence in the banking system, which will eventually carry a heavy price. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, moontang said:

Especially annoying with the banks, because it undermines confidence in the banking system, which will eventually carry a heavy price. 

Agree 100%, I had to visit dozens of branches to finally get a basic savings account, I could usually tell by the bank worker's expression as I approached the counter that they had already decided in their head that they were just going to "mai dai" me no matter what I asked for.

In my mind there are two possible reasons why they behave like this:

1 - They don't have a clue what they are talking about so just say "mai mee" or "mai dai" to save face and not have to admit that they are clueless. I got "mai dai"'ed at a Kasikorn branch in Ubon, and pressed the matter, upon which three staff members got together and made a call to a more senior bank employee - clearly because they didn't know how to do what I was asking, which was to open a simple account for a foreigner on a non-O visa without a work permit, because I wasn't working. They BS'ed my wife for 10 minutes after which I just left. In this situation, it is both the company and the employee at fault, the company for not spending enough baht on training their staff, and the employee for lying to the customer.

2 - When dealing with a farang customer, they revel in creating as much inconvenience and confusion as possible, possibly rooted in some kind of xenophobic mindset. It almost seems like annoying farangs is becoming the national sport. Possibly rooted in some kind of jealousy from the frankly spurious idea that all farangs have lots of money and very large penises.

Edited by SteveK
  • Thanks 1

It's often a very lazy attitude as well. I'm often thinking if their superior / bosses have a clue what their staff is doing / not doing.

Last two days I enquired on some real estate websites. Being polite not to disturb them on a public holiday I used their form to get in contact with me. Not a sign it is a foreigner, because you just leave your phone number for calling back.

1 of 5 agents called me back.

1 - They don't have a clue what they are talking about so just say "mai mee" or "mai dai" to save face and not have to admit that they are clueless. I got "mai dai"'ed at a Kasikorn branch in Ubon, and pressed the matter, upon which three staff members got together and made a call to a more senior bank employee - clearly because they didn't know how to do what I was asking, which was to open a simple account for a foreigner on a non-O visa without a work permit, because I wasn't working. They BS'ed my wife for 10 minutes after which I just left. In this situation, it is both the company and the employee at fault, the company for not spending enough baht on training their staff, and the employee for lying to the customer.

2 - When dealing with a farang customer, they revel in creating as much inconvenience and confusion as possible, possibly rooted in some kind of xenophobic mindset. It almost seems like annoying farangs is becoming the national sport. Possibly rooted in some kind of jealousy from the frankly spurious idea that all farangs have lots of money and very large penises.
Possibly a combination of many factors. Bad training, low salary, lazy attitude and not able to communicate in basic English.

Somehow I emphasise with them and their peanut salary. I mean would you go out if your comfort zone to sell this particular item or continue to play games on your phone? That is their mindset.

What they don't get is the bigger picture, that their job might be rationalised in the future and they will be unemployed.

12 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Obviously in the West we are told to plan for our future, save money, invest and put money into a pension etc.

Most youngsters struggle to rent a shared house and get enough to eat.

Pensions, savings and investments are a thing of the past.

You're still thinking in the boomer years, they've gone.

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, SteveK said:

Or possibly they can't be bothered to struggle with a foreign language.

It's not as if your custom is of any benefit to the staff.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Sales personnel here try to upsell or steer to the brands that pay the most commission. As other posters have said, do the research.

I had the experience of a pimply adolescent Thai trying to sell me an aircon unit with BTU about twice what I needed for the floor area that I had calculated. Even said the store would not warrant the aircon as being unsuitable. Didn't have an answer when I pointed out warranties come from the manufacturer, not the store.

Finally won the day when I asked if he would prefer I went elsewhere.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Or possibly they can't be bothered to struggle with a foreign language.

It's not as if your custom is of any benefit to the staff.

This is not the case, as I always had my wife with me, she's practically fluent in English now. They just don't know how to do their job properly and are scared to admit it hence the numerous "mai dai"s that we have had in so many banks.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 6:50 AM, colinneil said:

Mikisteel i had a similar experience, needed new fridge/freezer, looked at lazada, things not quite correct.

Went to Global, no sales staff interested in helping me ( playing on smartphones).

Went to big C, SALES STAFF SWARMING AROUND ME, i am interested in that 1, why you not buy this 1, no use to me as you can see, i am unable to walk, the freezer compartment is too high for me.

No hab the 1 you want, what the hell is that then? no hab.

Where madam you, they ask, i am here i am buying, i want that 1.

Getting nowhere, so i take out my phone, spoke English, 1 of the salesmen says he is speaking to his madam..... Wrong, i was speaking to the store manager, explained the nonsense her staff were giving me, give the phone to a sales person, 5 minutes later the 1 i wanted suddenly appeared, delivered 3 hours later.

If you had spoken Thai with them you might have gotten the same result without the troubles

6 hours ago, SteveK said:

1 - They don't have a clue what they are talking about so just say "mai mee" or "mai dai" to save face and not have to admit that they are clueless. [...]

1: Yes, agree

2: This also happens to Thais. My GF might ask something, gets a confusing made up answer and does actually believe what she is told. I can usually tell when they just made something up. Then i have to tell her to ask another person, who to my GF's surprise often says something completely different.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/15/2019 at 9:09 AM, 30la said:

We are in Thailand, saying "I don't know" is a loss of face, it's easier to say "we don't have it"!

I  just don't buy this 'loss of face' rubbish.  Shop workers are often as thick as a brick, lazy, uneducated, untrained, antisocial and poorly paid.  It's got little to do with the loss of face excuse that is always trotted out on those occasions, as some kind of explanation for incompetence. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I  just don't buy this 'loss of face' rubbish.  Shop workers are often as thick as a brick, lazy, uneducated, untrained, antisocial and poorly paid.  It's got little to do with the loss of face excuse that is always trotted out on those occasions, as some kind of explanation for incompetence. 

Thailand does not have a loss of face issue.  Japan and Germany - thousands committed suicide at the end of WWII - now that is sever loss of face - couldn't cope so committed suicide.  In Thailand after they surrendered to the Allies the generals just went to a bar and had a drink.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you had spoken Thai with them you might have gotten the same result without the troubles

1: Yes, agree

2: This also happens to Thais. My GF might ask something, gets a confusing made up answer and does actually believe what she is told. I can usually tell when they just made something up. Then i have to tell her to ask another person, who to my GF's surprise often says something completely different.

Your point about asking someone else and getting a different reply:

In the past when my wife phoned a government office here asking for precise information about something, we used to accept it as correct, only to find out when turning up that someone else would say something different.

Now I get my wife to phone twice, asking the same question from two different people. If she receives the same answer both times, I accept there's a reasonable chance of it being correct.

At least she's getting the hang of this cynical ferang's attitude when trying to gain information.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Now I get my wife to phone twice, asking the same question from two different people. If she receives the same answer both times, I accept there's a reasonable chance of it being correct.

At least she's getting the hang of this cynical ferang's attitude when trying to gain information.

Sounds like a very good idea, I will be doing this from now on. Thank you so much. 

• Like 1

I suspect that selling calculators in Thailand is a good business to get into. The rest of the world just use cognitive ability. If only I could go back in time and start shipping calculators to Thailand I wouldn't be posting on here.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

17+3 = 20. Logical, isn't it emoji6.png.

So either she hit the wrong button on the calculator or she doesn't know the difference between addition and multiplication.

I believe he  tried to go into depth with her whilst waving his envelopes so i doubt the 17 plus 3 cuts it!

More like outstanding stupidity...... we have saying (Cannot write it as said for fear of being castigated) but it infers the brain capacity is as compact as a the faeces of a constipated pig 

• Haha 1

It's true Thailand has a major reliance on calculators for some seriously basic calculations.

I expect if a joke calculator which provided incorrect answers were introduced here. It would be banned on the basis of national security.

• Haha 1

I went into a pharmacy in CM and showed a medication that was empty which I'd brought from the US.

The woman looked at it and said "That is not sold in Thailand".

I went to the next pharmacy and got the same response.

But in this case after saying that, the man decided to look for it, and had exactly what I wanted in stock (under a slightly different name but one that was recognizable to be the same product by myself and the pharmicist).

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2