Consumer experience thailand

Mikisteel

4 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

It's true Thailand has a major reliance on calculators for some seriously basic calculations.

I expect if a joke calculator which provided incorrect answers were introduced here. It would be banned on the basis of national security.

Ha ha, yes!

I went into our local shop for three bottles of Leo at 60 Baht each. Gave the woman 200 Baht and mentioned I'd need 20 Baht change. She used the calculator, looked surprised that I was correct, asking me how I knew that?

I watched a bar cashier use a calculator to work out 1,000 minus 100.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you had spoken Thai with them you might have gotten the same result without the troubles

1: Yes, agree

2: This also happens to Thais. My GF might ask something, gets a confusing made up answer and does actually believe what she is told. I can usually tell when they just made something up. Then i have to tell her to ask another person, who to my GF's surprise often says something completely different.

If you had read my post correctly, you would have noticed i said...... I used my phone spoke English to the manager, surely that would have told you that prior to that i was speaking Thai.... Doh.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, poohy said:

re shop assistants

i do not lie

Business partner goes to post office today buys 3 envelopes listed as 17 THB each hes fluent in thai

obviously 51 THB 

girl says 20 THB for 3  she has used calculator he explains shows her on calculator ..no concept on why its 51 not 20!

Tries to ask her to add 17 plus 17 plus 17 without calculator she simply  cannot.

He leaves with 3 envelope gave her 51 THB good knows whats she done with it (personally i would have walked away leaving 20 THB and let her sort it out)

Hes lived here over 25 years and was astounded at the stupidity!

Can you imagine a typical mathematics lesson at Thai school? Whatever answer is supplied by the students it is always accepted by the teacher as the right one. Otherwise, it is a severe "loss of face" and only God knows what it may lead to. 

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2019 at 4:31 PM, Zikomat said:

Can you imagine a typical mathematics lesson at Thai school? Whatever answer is supplied by the students it is always accepted by the teacher as the right one. Otherwise, it is a severe "loss of face" and only God knows what it may lead to. 

1000 baht + 2000 baht = 700 baht. Well done little Somchai, you're going places.

On 7/18/2019 at 3:49 PM, Pilotman said:

I  just don't buy this 'loss of face' rubbish.  Shop workers are often as thick as a brick, lazy, uneducated, untrained, antisocial and poorly paid.  It's got little to do with the loss of face excuse that is always trotted out on those occasions, as some kind of explanation for incompetence. 

How many ĺanguages do you speak?

9 hours ago, BestB said:

Yup sounded all good, but i would wait for delivery first before praising or be super happy.

Have had plenty of experiences with great sales and then receiving something totally different or incomplete and all over sudden seller can not be reached or busy or whatever else and this is not Thai owners only, plenty of foreigner owned businesses suffering from the same disease.

Once ordered cat condo, from their catalog. 2 weeks to make, they drove all the way from BKK, put it together only to be different colors and design to what i ordered.

When i pointed out this was not what i ordered, they said, they did not have other one. yet they did not tell me when i ordered, did not tell me prior to bringing, did not tell me prior to assembly and even after the assembly.

Since it was not what i ordered, i did not want it, but of course now they can not refund. After a few shouts, idiot realized he was in my house and noone to help him, so agreed to refund, but charge for delivery, As if it was my fault 

And according to him it is me who is bad  for not accepting different product.

Why would I, i got pictures of the product yesterday and it will be delivered today at 10 am. Thing is some people are positive and don't blame every little mistake on Thailand and Thais others moan and moan and forget to realize much of the same problems go on back home. I have had bad products back home been cheated back home and guess what.. it was not Thais but Dutch people.

The only problem I encountered was that the product was 5 cm longer, he told me he could fix it if I wanted, told him I could live with the 5 cm. (step ups for the machine).  He could have cut them front parts away and it would still be good. (included the pic send yesterday to keep me informed of the process the old weights on the end are just his to check things)

Ordered curtains here in the village, they were a bit too long, was changed and replaced within a day. Ordered something at lazada, took a bit of time but got money back. Have had guarantee claims honored. I think it helps a lot when one is positive instead of looking all day for ways to complain about Thais. If you start out believing every thing is bad because your a foreigner and they are Thais and they are out to get you you start out irritated not a good position to resolve problems from. 

Not all of us have bad experiences, my main bad experience besides moaning expats is Thai trades people. Its hard to find real good ones especially as I am bad at it myself. Have had some problems in that area. But what do you expect for the prices they charge. (did have some good ones too but some really bad ones too).

Have had them work on my gutter but it was designed wrong to start with and they just dont seem to be able to fix this. Had an other guy help me after my toilet spray broke at the wall... had to turn of the water as it kept gushing out.. he did not even want to charge me for such a small job (more then an hour of work) and he did a great job. I paid him a few hundred baht anyway. Had great painters, had a bad guy fixing the roof seems to be hard as I had a few up there that say they fixed it but did not. Only gets in when the wind is at a certain angle does not happen often so its hard to check if done good. 

1564013487427.jpg

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, robblok said:

Why would I, i got pictures of the product yesterday and it will be delivered today at 10 am. Thing is some people are positive and don't blame every little mistake on Thailand and Thais others moan and moan and forget to realize much of the same problems go on back home. I have had bad products back home been cheated back home and guess what.. it was not Thais but Dutch people.

The only problem I encountered was that the product was 5 cm longer, he told me he could fix it if I wanted, told him I could live with the 5 cm. (step ups for the machine).  He could have cut them front parts away and it would still be good. (included the pic send yesterday to keep me informed of the process the old weights on the end are just his to check things)

Ordered curtains here in the village, they were a bit too long, was changed and replaced within a day. Ordered something at lazada, took a bit of time but got money back. Have had guarantee claims honored. I think it helps a lot when one is positive instead of looking all day for ways to complain about Thais. If you start out believing every thing is bad because your a foreigner and they are Thais and they are out to get you you start out irritated not a good position to resolve problems from. 

Not all of us have bad experiences, my main bad experience besides moaning expats is Thai trades people. Its hard to find real good ones especially as I am bad at it myself. Have had some problems in that area. But what do you expect for the prices they charge. (did have some good ones too but some really bad ones too).

Have had them work on my gutter but it was designed wrong to start with and they just dont seem to be able to fix this. Had an other guy help me after my toilet spray broke at the wall... had to turn of the water as it kept gushing out.. he did not even want to charge me for such a small job (more then an hour of work) and he did a great job. I paid him a few hundred baht anyway. Had great painters, had a bad guy fixing the roof seems to be hard as I had a few up there that say they fixed it but did not. Only gets in when the wind is at a certain angle does not happen often so its hard to check if done good. 

1564013487427.jpg

Glad to hear you received what you paid for , it does not mean everyone else gets the sane things they order or pics they have been shown.

being positive and defending thai lack of understanding of what service , workmanship and warranty are 2 very different things .

naturally dealing with a bigger company may encounter less problems when dealing with a small company . Saying that took me 3 months and a written complaint to Consumer protection board to get refund for DOA robot vaccume cleaner bought from powebuy.

without consumer protection board highly unlikely I would have seen any refund no matter how positive or negative I would have remained 

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Glad to hear you received what you paid for , it does not mean everyone else gets the sane things they order or pics they have been shown.

being positive and defending thai lack of understanding of what service , workmanship and warranty are 2 very different things .

naturally dealing with a bigger company may encounter less problems when dealing with a small company . Saying that took me 3 months and a written complaint to Consumer protection board to get refund for DOA robot vaccume cleaner bought from powebuy.

without consumer protection board highly unlikely I would have seen any refund no matter how positive or negative I would have remained 

I will do you one better, i offered the guy 2000 bt to fast track the order. He showed up alone as his employees were busy in the workshop and I helped with assembling the machine (got here in parts) and he when I wanted to pay the 2000 bt said I cant take your money you helped me so much assembling. (guy spoke perfect English and years before i bought something else with him i recommend gymware to everyone he is not the fastest as he is real busy but good)

Shop was not that big, what I am defending is that most Thais get it right and yes it goes wrong but there is a group who looks at everything negatively and like you already said i should be worried before there was reason for. With an attitude like that im sure you encounter more problems then I do.

The Thai way of guarantees is bad that is one thing for sure you wont have me defending that. But many many it a Thai screws the farang thing while its often just the way it is in this country nothing racial about it. Other example.. i bought a nas drive 30+ k baht and it failed... took me quite some time to get a replacement over a month. I got a new one but it was frustrating especially as it was a well known QNAP american brand. I found it stupid that they did not have more units in storage and swap it. I did not like it but did not ook at it at me getting screwed over. Just at stupid policies here about guarantees. 

I don't see these things as Thais wanting to rip someone of just as lack of consumer protection. I have accepted that things are different as in my country. That is why i buy from certain IT shops where i know i can exchange things. 

About your robot vacuum cleaner.. was it any good been thinking of one too with gf moving out. 

(just for the non native English speaker difference between warantee and guarantee) 

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

I will do you one better, i offered the guy 2000 bt to fast track the order. He showed up alone as his employees were busy in the workshop and I helped with assembling the machine (got here in parts) and he when I wanted to pay the 2000 bt said I cant take your money you helped me so much assembling. (guy spoke perfect English and years before i bought something else with him i recommend gymware to everyone he is not the fastest as he is real busy but good)

Shop was not that big, what I am defending is that most Thais get it right and yes it goes wrong but there is a group who looks at everything negatively and like you already said i should be worried before there was reason for. With an attitude like that im sure you encounter more problems then I do.

The Thai way of guarantees is bad that is one thing for sure you wont have me defending that. But many many it a Thai screws the farang thing while its often just the way it is in this country nothing racial about it. Other example.. i bought a nas drive 30+ k baht and it failed... took me quite some time to get a replacement over a month. I got a new one but it was frustrating especially as it was a well known QNAP american brand. I found it stupid that they did not have more units in storage and swap it. I did not like it but did not ook at it at me getting screwed over. Just at stupid policies here about guarantees. 

I don't see these things as Thais wanting to rip someone of just as lack of consumer protection. I have accepted that things are different as in my country. That is why i buy from certain IT shops where i know i can exchange things. 

About your robot vacuum cleaner.. was it any good been thinking of one too with gf moving out. 

(just for the non native English speaker difference between warantee and guarantee) 

https://youtu.be/G0457jiObiI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ0bq-jIg-o

I've got the two above. I use the robot when the dogs been in the house. 

I find no problems with Thai consumer stuff.  They treat me better than they treat Thai people.  

It would be better if my Thai was better as they seem to really like it when I can speak to them in Thai. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Got ya , so because you found 1 good that automatically means most are. 

Lets ignore all the never ending complains on social media , lets ignore consumer board being packed to the roof with complaints, because you found good one, you positive so all the rest are negative and this is why all have problems ????

also not once i made any reference to Thai screwing foreigners over Thai , that is figment of your imagination .

Not getting it right, cheating, or just lack of service, quality or skills is applied evenly to all consumers or could be just company policy

Edited by BestB
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

Got ya , so because you found 1 good that automatically means most are. 

Lets ignore all the never ending complains on social media , lets ignore consumer board being packed to the roof with complaints, because you found good one, you positive so all the rest are negative and this is why all have problems ????

also not once i made any reference to Thai screwing foreigners over Thai , that is figment of your imagination .

Not getting it right, cheating, or just lack of service, quality or skills is applied evenly to all consumers or could be just company policy

I got ya too, i bet most of your transactions are without problems. 

But i think there is common ground here, consumer protection here is lacking I can agree with that. 

I am one of the positive voices on this board the most here are constantly complaining about Thais. So yea I am standing mostly alone here against all those guys. You indeed did not say it was Thais getting one over on foreigners that was my mistake.

But I just don't like your mindset of looking for trouble before it even begins just shows a jaded vision of the world IMHO. I got better then I agreed upon without worrying. Have had more positive then negative buys and transactions in this country. 

It certainly is not perfect and the consumer protection is lacking I agree, though your remark of me having to worry was uncalled for as you saw. Just difference how we stand in life i stand positive you look more for the negative. In a way I can understand it as it prevents some trouble but if you start out negative it can also usually make the situation worse.

25 minutes ago, robblok said:

I got ya too, i bet most of your transactions are without problems. 

But i think there is common ground here, consumer protection here is lacking I can agree with that. 

I am one of the positive voices on this board the most here are constantly complaining about Thais. So yea I am standing mostly alone here against all those guys. You indeed did not say it was Thais getting one over on foreigners that was my mistake.

But I just don't like your mindset of looking for trouble before it even begins just shows a jaded vision of the world IMHO. I got better then I agreed upon without worrying. Have had more positive then negative buys and transactions in this country. 

It certainly is not perfect and the consumer protection is lacking I agree, though your remark of me having to worry was uncalled for as you saw. Just difference how we stand in life i stand positive you look more for the negative. In a way I can understand it as it prevents some trouble but if you start out negative it can also usually make the situation worse.

It’s not looking for trouble , it is about not having high expectations to avoid disappointment. It is being wise and not to pre pay in advance.

my experiences are not always negative but hardly ever positive . Satisfactory is already good enough for me.

PS I have the exact same gym work station, which I made sure and was assured can handle 150kg max weight.

Looks nice, feels nice, just when I go for chin up it bends  a little. 

So not a total waste of money and I am nowhere near the 150kg max????

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

It’s not looking for trouble , it is about not having high expectations to avoid disappointment. It is being wise and not to pre pay in advance.

my experiences are not always negative but hardly ever positive . Satisfactory is already good enough for me.

PS I have the exact same gym work station, which I made sure and was assured can handle 150kg max weight.

Looks nice, feels nice, just when I go for chin up it bends  a little. 

So not a total waste of money and I am nowhere near the 150kg max????

I think your talking out of your ass about the gym station.

Reason being those weights are counter weights to make the pullup or dip easier. So one would not use 150kg max but far lower weights.  It actually means im too weak to do proper wide grip pull ups (or at least can't do enough of them). You only need a little weight to "help" you your not fighting the weight but it is assisting you.. doing 150 kg.. would be crazy.. unless your 200 kg or so.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think your talking out of your ass about the gym station.

Reason being those weights are counter weights to make the pullup or dip easier. So one would not use 150kg max but far lower weights.  It actually means im too weak to do proper wide grip pull ups (or at least can't do enough of them). You only need a little weight to "help" you your not fighting the weight but it is assisting you.. doing 150 kg.. would be crazy.. unless your 200 kg or so.

And if I made and posted photo for you? Would you eat your own words? Or do you want to edit your post prior to I post pic ?

then of course you could have trouble reading, chin up has nothing to do with “doing 150 kg” but metal is strong enough to handle max weight of 150 kg and no, I do not need to be 200kg to lift 150 kg

not everyone lifts pussy weight and calls himself a bodybuilder 

Edited by BestB

1 minute ago, BestB said:

And if I made and posted photo for you? Would you eat your own words? Or do you want to edit your post prior to I post pic ?

then of course you could have trouble reading, chin up has nothing to do with “doing 150 kg” but metal is strong enough to handle max weight of 150 kg and no, I do not need to be 200kg to lift 150 kg

not everyone lifts pussy weight and calls himself a bodybuilder 

As you have no clue how this machine works i doubt you own it. 

the counter weight is to HELP you so if you ad 150 KG it is easier for you (you would probably get launched in the air or not even able to push down the pad). at 10 kg its harder then at 150 kg. No one in their right mind would think about it being able to handle 150 kg unless they are themselves 200 kg or so.

you place your knees on the pad and the weight pushes you up. So if you put 150 kg there there is 150 kg pushing you up so unless your 200 kg yourself there is no point in loading it to that levels.

So I really don't think you own it and posting a picture wont convince me if you don't understand how it works.

My lifts are actually quite high for someone of my weight, its just that my wide grip pull ups suck. Doing 4 x 6 is hard (close grip is a different story). So i bought this so I could do more controlled pull ups. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

As you have no clue how this machine works i doubt you own it. 

the counter weight is to HELP you so if you ad 150 KG it is easier for you (you would probably get launched in the air or not even able to push down the pad). at 10 kg its harder then at 150 kg. No one in their right mind would think about it being able to handle 150 kg unless they are themselves 200 kg or so.

you place your knees on the pad and the weight pushes you up. So if you put 150 kg there there is 150 kg pushing you up so unless your 200 kg yourself there is no point in loading it to that levels.

So I really don't think you own it and posting a picture wont convince me if you don't understand how it works.

My lifts are actually quite high for someone of my weight, its just that my wide grip pull ups suck. Doing 4 x 6 is hard (close grip is a different story). So i bought this so I could do more controlled pull ups. 

You right there. Go back to reading google how to train or look up photo what chin up is

expert????????????????

B68D24DC-E0C1-45AB-A25B-07994A58E952.jpeg

1 minute ago, BestB said:

You right there. Go back to reading google how to train or look up photo what chin up is

expert????????????????

B68D24DC-E0C1-45AB-A25B-07994A58E952.jpeg

That is not the same machine as it has no counter weights. You obviously did not get the idea of counter weights when you talked about loading it with 150 kg.  So now that i know you were talking B.S.  i am satisfied.

It is fun though to see a fellow sports enthousiast. Keep training.  You seem to have similar problems as me.. lack of space.

@BestB

Guess we were talking about different things when talking about load. I was talking about the counter weight and you were taking about your machine bending under your load when doing chin ups. 

To be honest yours is a mass produced probably not too expensive machine but it still should not bend up when they told you the max load is 150 kg. Mine does not bend at all 

I would just never have imagined a chin up bar bending.. that was why my mind was going a different way.

Edited by robblok

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is not the same machine as it has no counter weights. You obviously did not get the idea of counter weights when you talked about loading it with 150 kg.  So now that i know you were talking B.S.  i am satisfied.

It is fun though to see a fellow sports enthousiast. Keep training.  You seem to have similar problems as me.. lack of space.

I did not talk about loading 150 kg not even hint of it.

i said to handle max weight of 150 kg and I did say chin up and yes it does have counter weight in the back which is not in the photo because this machine is perfect for hanging clothing and not much else . 

But all all of that has little to do with being told and assured it can handle 150 kg, only to bend with 90-95kg doing chin ups. 

Just now, BestB said:

I did not talk about loading 150 kg not even hint of it.

i said to handle max weight of 150 kg and I did say chin up and yes it does have counter weight in the back which is not in the photo because this machine is perfect for hanging clothing and not much else . 

But all all of that has little to do with being told and assured it can handle 150 kg, only to bend with 90-95kg doing chin ups. 

You said you had the same machine, you don't.  That was why i thought the 150 kg was loading it. I just can't imagine a chin up bar bending. That was why I never thought of it.

I don't see the counter weight at all. 

I am like you 90-95 kg but have always been weak at chin ups. Can do them them but the form and speed are not perfect. That is why i wanted this to improve. I only once had problems with gym equipment that was when like you i bought mass produced stuff. I bought one of those peck deck push and legs machine in one. Crap. 

After that i just bought them from places like Gymware and a German guy. All made by people who care and I never had any problems again. I would say you get what you pay for. I paid 12.000 for this machine that is probably more then you paid for yours. 

1 hour ago, BestB said:

expert????????????????

My father used to say that me to me as a kid: "Chin up, it's not the end of the world."

On 7/18/2019 at 5:09 PM, CLW said:

It's often a very lazy attitude as well. I'm often thinking if their superior / bosses have a clue what their staff is doing / not doing.

Last two days I enquired on some real estate websites. Being polite not to disturb them on a public holiday I used their form to get in contact with me. Not a sign it is a foreigner, because you just leave your phone number for calling back.

1 of 5 agents called me back.

This week, I contact 3 companys (here in Thailand) through there websites and use the contact button to send an question, and guess what.....nobody answer, nobody, what the hell, why you have an website, with the slogan "we are here to help you" and you don't get any response, very frustrating!!

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 10:39 PM, poohy said:

re shop assistants

i do not lie

Business partner goes to post office today buys 3 envelopes listed as 17 THB each hes fluent in thai

obviously 51 THB 

girl says 20 THB for 3  she has used calculator he explains shows her on calculator ..no concept on why its 51 not 20!

Tries to ask her to add 17 plus 17 plus 17 without calculator she simply  cannot.

He leaves with 3 envelope gave her 51 THB good knows whats she done with it (personally i would have walked away leaving 20 THB and let her sort it out)

Hes lived here over 25 years and was astounded at the stupidity!

Even they have !a calculator now, can you imagine how it was 20 years ago

This week, I contact 3 companys (here in Thailand) through there websites and use the contact button to send an question, and guess what.....nobody answer, nobody, what the hell, why you have an website, with the slogan "we are here to help you" and you don't get any response, very frustrating!!

Gave up website forms and email long time ago for contacting companies in Thailand.
Calling the only way. And plenty of that to follow up your request.