Thailand keeping track of foreigners – the TM30 reporting form

rooster59

Thailand keeping track of foreigners – the TM30 reporting form

By The Thaiger & The Nation

asian-couple-checking-in-at-hotel-reception-in-thailand-PDAP7X.jpg

The TM30 reporting procedure is a Thai immigration requirement. The form is designed to assist keeping track of foreigners – tourists and expats – whilst in Thailand. It must be completed by the owner or landlord to report the stay of guests within 24 hours of their arrival.

As with many things in Thailand the enforcement will not be uniformly applied and some people may get away without reporting, maybe for years. But if Immigration do check, and you haven’t been doing the required reporting, then fines and other immigration problems will follow.

We’ve tried to simplify the TM30 to these main points.

If you’re staying at a hotel, the hotel will do the registration for you after you’ve checked in. But it also applies to the following…

If you own and live in a home in Thailand
If you’re staying with a Thai friend
If you’re staying a property that isn’t properly licensed

The TM30 form is designed to report foreigners locations during their short or long-term stay in Thailand. If you are staying in a condo or apartment block, the owner must register your stay.

The rationale from the Thai government is that the TM30 provides a way to monitor the ‘goodies’ but also the ‘baddies’, in the hope of deterring foreign criminals to choose Thailand as a place to hide out.

The law governing the TM30 form was introduced a long time with the Hotel Act of 2005, but has since expanded beyond hotels to cover landlords owning property or apartments that are not classified as hotels. Authorities believed this was necessary to include the rental of condos and other unlicensed premises rented out to paying guests, such as room-sharing apps like AirBnB. The rules also apply to Thais  hosting foreigners.

The report must be completed by hotels, serviced apartments or by landlords of private properties. It is the landlord’s responsibility to submit the TM30.

If you are staying in a friend’s house, your friend still needs to submit the TM30 form. The same applies to a foreigner married to a Thai and carries a Thai visa.

If you’re an expat living permanently in Thailand and travel to other places within the country – any other address other than your usual home address – you need to inform immigration once you’ve returned.

This is what you need to fill in a TM30…

Copy of your departure card
Copy of your passport photo page
Copy of your most recent visa stamp page

The landlord or reporting person needs…

Copy of the title deed to their property
Copy of the rental contract

The TM30 is not the same as 90 day reporting.

Online registration is available HERE, when it’s working. You need to register a username and password then you just login whenever you need to. The fine for not reporting is 1,600 Baht per person.

To protect yourself, as a tenant or guest, you should ask your landlord or accommodation owner if you have already been registered.

tm30form-2.jpg

Sourcehttps://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-keeping-track-of-foreigners-the-tm30-reporting-form

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-07-14

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An absolutely ridiculous regulation. Completely unnecessary and rife for abuse by those in a uniform who aren't so well intentioned.

I would guess that reporting and movement restrictions for Thai nationals on bail (after conviction) for crimes up to and including murder don't have to adhere to such anal regulations.

Look next for mandatory GPS tracking device implanted at the base of the neck for all visas more than 30 days...the usual options will apply...accept the device or be gone!

Actually, look for many governments to begin implementing GPS tracking starting with illegal aliens...just a matter of time...for "national security" don't ya know...????

17 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I thought it waa reported in the news the other day if you owned and lived in your own property you did not have to report.

Well, sometimes you do and sometimes you don't after going away for a weekend/week.

Depends on your local Imm' office

20 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I thought it waa reported in the news the other day if you owned and lived in your own property you did not have to report.

This was my understanding too if you live in your own property with a retirement extension. 

I hope that the Thai government realizes that the need to report a 'new' TM30 after domestic travel will discourage expats from taking trips in Thailand in order to avoid the constant annoyance of his/her landlord.  The requirement for a TM30 'should' be waived for all persons required to do 90 day reports.

What is the point of io at the airport insisting you put your address down on the arrival form when it has to be reported yet again within 24 hours? I did ask at my immigration office who said 'that's different' but it's the same address it has been for the past decade!

Just now, pookiki said:

I hope that the Thai government realizes that the need to report a 'new' TM30 after domestic travel will discourage expats from taking trips in Thailand in order to avoid the constant annoyance of his/her landlord.  The requirement for a TM30 'should' be waived for all persons required to do 90 day reports.

Hear, hear.  I thought the Government were trying to encourage visiting lesser known spots (like Issaan) to encourage tourism in non-famous areas?

16 minutes ago, Beggar said:

This is what Jomtien said according to a video on YouTube. There was a report about an interview with an Jomtien immigration officer 

It would be most beneficial if the information in this video was issued as an 'official' government regulation.  It is best way to insure uniformity across different immigration offices throughout Thailand.

6 minutes ago, pookiki said:

It would be most beneficial if the information in this video was issued as an 'official' government regulation.  It is best way to insure uniformity across different immigration offices throughout Thailand.

After more than two decades here I start to give up. I am not clever enough to live in this country. I realize this now. 

49 minutes ago, pookiki said:

surely will cause those that work from taking weekend trips, if they need work on mondays and cant get to immigration within 24 hours

IF any of these new regulations demand for being able to do it online, this is one

Even in phuket, where we can use the drive thru, you still need to go there between 9-4

Went to Immigration to report I was back home after a two day trip. IO thanked me for complying with the rules. Took 10 seconds to update TM 30 on his computer. Three mouse clicks and done. This was in Buriram. I asked if it was necessary to come EVERY time I go out of the province over night and he responded in a most definite tone - Oh YES. 

We just spent the night at our friends' condo in Satahip. I asked them to do a TM 30 for me, knowing dam well what they would say.
They were really surprised and knew nothing about this and laughed it off.

Ok maybe it wasn't necessary as we arrived at the condo at 6 pm after spending the afternoon in Jomtien and have just left. Not 24 hours.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What do you do if you go camping or stay at a girlfriend's house?  Even China does not seem to care that much.  Was days late in registering flat in China, and the policewoman just smiled and said "no worries".   Going camping in Yunnan or Sichuan, they don't care. You get a lot more smiles from China immigration than you do in Bangkok. 

very interesting, thanks for posting.  now if we could trust this is accurate nation wide would be more useful.

how then does this affect people using agents for extensions, where are they registered, home wise?

secondly, if i understood correctly, those on non o's multiple, would need a tm 30 every time they leave for their 90 day report? folks i talk with who have these don't do it.

42 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Shouldn't foreigners submit their own TM28 as well? What's the fine for not doing that?

What's a TM28? Whatever TM28 is, it's more work all round. I'm waiting for BJ69 to appear.

They have it in for us farang. I like the chip idea, but not everyone wants to have their neck cut open for the implant. And who is going to do the cutting; or the stitching?

I suggest a hat, with a chip. No problem to wear the hat. If we are seen, at any time, not wearing the hat, we could be arrested. But, if we keep the hat on, when on the move, all is sorted. Will cut down on paperwork.

@ThaiTiger and The NatioNation, 

Thanks for the simple info re: TM30.  

A scenario came into my mind. 

I am legally residing in Thailand, in a condo at View Talay 6 in Pattaya and I go to my Thai friend's home on Soi 53 on Friday night, party there, and sleep on the couch that night.  Next day Saturday I wake up, we continue the party, and I crash on the couch again that night.  On Sunday I return to my condo and sleep in it.  

According to the law, I must report to Immigration and file (or update) a TM30.  Ok, I acknowledge this fact. 

Realistically, how would Immigration know I had spent two nights sleeping at my friend's home?  It wouldn't.  Unless my friend narked on me.

Therefore, I seriously doubt one would need to take time to visit Immigration and do any TM30 paperwork, with respect to my scenario.  

Or am I missing something here as it relates to TM30 reporting??   

I've already acknowledged the legal aspects of TM30 reporting.   

I'm thinking of reality here, how would Immigration know I had spent two nights at my friend's home??

Archived