Indian man who borrowed 800,000 baht from friend for retirement extension held on fraud charges

rooster59

Indian man who borrowed 800,000 baht from friend for retirement extension held on fraud charges

426213.jpg

An Indian man who borrowed 800,000 baht from a friend and then fled has been arrested in Phuket on fraud charges.

Rajeshwari Mani, 59, borrowed the money from a friend in Roi Et in order to meet the financial requirements for a retirement extension.

He told his friend he would keep the money in his bank for two months and then return it once his retirement extension had been granted.

However, Mani fled Roi Et with the money in his account and could not be contacted.

The victim then reported the matter to police in Kaset Wisai, Roi Et.

Police traced Mani to Buri Ram and Samut Prakan but he still managed to evade arrest.

After tracking the location of Mani’s phone, they suspected he was about to board a flight from Survanabhumbi.

However, on Friday the police received information that Mani was at Phuket airport and swooped just moments before he was due to board a flight to New Delhi. 

Police said it took four days from the crime being reported to Mani being arrested, who is now being held on charges related to fraud.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-14

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange that the police acted to quickly on what is a civil matter, unless of course, someone has promised someone else a well deserved reward upon apprehension of the runner and recovery of said loot.. 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Strange that the police acted to quickly on what is a civil matter, unless of course, someone has promised someone else a well deserved reward upon apprehension of the runner and recovery of said loot.. 

They will have been paid to investigate. 

17 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Can/do the Thai police track every one's phone? If so, why the need for TM 30s?

They do that in case of a semi-serious crime or worse. Same as in USA, UK and many more countries in the world. How would you feel if your government tracked your every step at a regular basis? I disn´t hear people cheering when they talked about electronic trackable implants.

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

Giving the Indian 800k baht to get an extension of stay is aiding in committing fraud against immigration and Thai government..

It's absolutely deplorable. They're depriving an agent of a decent payday here... 

Yea this is kind of funny but Arabs and Indians have non-official lending to each other not built on credit but trust...Any one that breaks that trust faces very serious repercussions basically their life is over ....They end up home-less penniless jobless ....Shunned by even their own family....

34 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Can/do the Thai police track every one's phone? If so, why the need for TM 30s?

Every mobile phone makes regular contact with the service provider to establish that it is in contact and can receive calls and messages.  This data is made available to police and law enforcement if they are investigating a serious crime; depending on the urgency of the case, kidnappings and terrorism for example, it can be granted very quickly.  For other crimes the police are generally required to take administrative steps similar to those required for search warrants before they are allowed to access.  This is in countries where there is rule of law and a legal process; others may not be so controlled.  For countries with powerful security agencies it is considered a very useful tool by them and I am not convinced that legal process is always followed.

The data collected, to the best of my knowledge, is retained and is also sold as information for marketing agencies, theoretically with all user ID removed. 

Similar movement tracking possibilities are available from credit/debit card usage and stored value cards.

Big Brother and his distant relatives are all watching you.

44 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Would you loan 800,000 Baht to an Indian? That's 800 short times for him and 3 of his friends.

I will not loan it to you either and to any farang living in Thailand due to high number of losers and scams running from their country. Lol

23 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

The guy holding up the sign has got 3 hands!

Now I'm buggered. Hats to you for finding this stuff out. How do you even...

41 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Is this guy one of those big spending Indians that TAT think will save the tourism business?

...we all know full well it ain't just Indians doing this?!???? They're just "late to the party".

I'm surprised that in this case the lender didn't at least keep this guys passport, if he didn't. Probably cos he was one of his "best mates".

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Maybe it was borrowed from a Thai "friend"? 

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Giving the Indian 800k baht to get an extension of stay is aiding in committing fraud against immigration and Thai government.. 

Is that really the case? You have to have the money in your account for the prescribed time. Does the law state where the money has to come from? Surely borrowing the money is not a crime.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Agreed, this is very odd that Police will act on a civil matter.

I'm not even sure they have any jurisdiction over civil matters, as while it may have been a crime between 2 individuals, it was not a criminal offense in Thailand...that needs be determined by the courts.

I assume there must have been some sort of documentation, and as you say, a significant reward to go to all that trouble.

Interesting.

3 minutes ago, DLock said:

Agreed, this is very odd that Police will act on a civil matter.

I'm not even sure they have any jurisdiction over civil matters, as while it may have been a crime between 2 individuals, it was not a criminal offense in Thailand...that needs be determined by the courts.

I assume there must have been some sort of documentation, and as you say, a significant reward to go to all that trouble.

Interesting.

...it's called a weak "rule of law".

Archived