Indian man who borrowed 800,000 baht from friend for retirement extension held on fraud charges

rooster59

On 7/13/2019 at 8:15 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Giving the Indian 800k baht to get an extension of stay is aiding in committing fraud against immigration and Thai government..

Definitely which law did he break? Did a judge rule that it was fraud I just like self appointed lawyers in this forum.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Definitely which law did he break? Did a judge rule that it was fraud I just like self appointed lawyers in this forum.

Definitely, absolutely, unequivocally...without serious reservations...does this help? 

31 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Definitely, absolutely, unequivocally...without serious reservations...does this help? 

Giving loan, accepting loan, and using agents are perfectly legal I would consider them illegal when a judge rules otherwise. Still then I consider the opinions of this forum is brothel gossip. 

The character Polonius counsels his son Laertes before he embarks on his visit to Paris. He says, “Neither a borrower nor a lender be; / For loan oft loses both itself and friend.” It means do not lend or borrow money from a friend, because if you do so, you will lose both your friend and your money.

11 minutes ago, cmrichsw said:

The character Polonius counsels his son Laertes before he embarks on his visit to Paris. He says, “Neither a borrower nor a lender be; / For loan oft loses both itself and friend.” It means do not lend or borrow money from a friend, because if you do so, you will lose both your friend and your money.

yes.  I always thought that was the stupidest and most irrelevant of sayings in the modern  world. Unless you are wealthy, borrowing is the only way to fiance property purchase and many other conveniences of the modern life. He may have have been right in his time,  but not now. Borrow sensibly and within your means, but I agree, not from friends or relatives. 

What was, in my opinion, the racist remark announced to foreginers claiming rich Indians would save the day and yet one RICH Indian has been arrested on fraud charges.

Watch this space...

On 7/14/2019 at 2:27 AM, ezzra said:

Strange that the police acted to quickly on what is a civil matter, unless of course, someone has promised someone else a well deserved reward upon apprehension of the runner and recovery of said loot.. 

The favourite tourist/expats will always be prioritized ….

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 9:15 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Giving the Indian 800k baht to get an extension of stay is aiding in committing fraud against immigration and Thai government..

Loaning the Indian 800,000 B. He did not give.

On 7/13/2019 at 6:15 PM, Puchaiyank said:

True, but to me, a similar evade tactic is now being applied to monthly income verification.  The original intent of the income method was to show that someone has some reasonable proof of sustainable and reliable future income, i.e. pensions for example.  Now granted there are many types of reasonably reliable and sustainable future income from rents, royalties, stock and bond dividend and interest etc.  The current income "proof" is simply now showing monthly transfers in for x amount of previous months.  That shows or proves absolutely nothing about the source or sustainability of those monies.  A person could simply be paying down some lump cash amount.  Or they could have borrowed money and is transferring that slowly into Thailand.  The person could now get a retirement extension good for one year, but could only have one month or no months of future income coming in.  To me, this current income proof method is ripe for abuse, and many people are going against the actual original intent of the laws about income

On 7/14/2019 at 10:18 AM, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Is this guy one of those big spending Indians that TAT think will save the tourism business?

No. Just another skint, desperate expat, only this one is brown so he doesn't count.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:36 AM, DLock said:

Agreed, this is very odd that Police will act on a civil matter.

I'm not even sure they have any jurisdiction over civil matters, as while it may have been a crime between 2 individuals, it was not a criminal offense in Thailand...that needs be determined by the courts.

I assume there must have been some sort of documentation, and as you say, a significant reward to go to all that trouble.

Interesting.

not so odd.  theft is a criminal matter, and the police are required to investigate (whether they do so in most cases is another question).

On 7/14/2019 at 8:15 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Not really. If they allowed you to submit foreign bank accounts from home there would be no issues. It would be very easy for the Embassy to authenticate the bank documents. But no! Many simply draw money at the ATM each month from their home country to live in Thailand. Some people will simply borrow the money to show the balance as that is the only thing that gives you the least problems (try the monthly income insanity or combination). Not everyone can show and keep 800,000 THB in the bank account without affecting how they live as they are living off the money. Most people in my view earn the money quarterly or monthly from home into their bank account at home. Let me ask you this --- How long before they start asking for taxes from the money you bring in each month? 

On 8/27/2019 at 9:55 AM, Angry Dragon said:

not so odd.  theft is a criminal matter, and the police are required to investigate (whether they do so in most cases is another question).

i complained to thai police - both tourist police and the local station - about a theft

of expensive items in kept in a hotel storage room.

the police answer - we can't interfere because it is " between

you and the hotel..."

17 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

but who the hell are you? let the immigration autorities of thailand

worry about what's "ripe for abuse" and keep quite in your corner.

Who am I is none of your concern, but since you asked;  I am a foreigner debating retiring in Thailand and the income method means for visa extensions is very relevant to me.  Transferring money proves nothing and it will only be a matter of time before some change is instituted again, as the Thais will realize the idiocy of what they are implementing, and the number of expats retiring there continually gets smaller.  And as systems are abused it affects all the people that do things properly.  Income method is a perfect case in point.  For years all that most retirees had to do was assert, without much or any at all proof to their embassy that they had future income.  Obviously many Thai officials and foreign embassies no longer accept that.  And the primary reason was because it was becoming obvious that many people were asserting and claiming incomes falsely.  So the bad apples spoiled it for all the good ones.  Same thing will happen again when this flawed system gets fleshed out

21 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i complained to thai police - both tourist police and the local station - about a theft

of expensive items in kept in a hotel storage room.

the police answer - we can't interfere because it is " between

you and the hotel..."

lol, i guess that logic could be applied to any crime.

someone covered with bruises and with broken bones complains to the police about being assaulted.  the police answer - we can't interfere because it is "between you and the guy who assaulted you".

Archived