Ghost riders - what if one hits a pedestrian?

The other night, I was crossing a busy 2-lane road. Only looking right. A motorcycle taxi almost hit me, driving the wrong way.

- What does the law say? 

Yes, I wasn't looking. But I think that cannot be tolerated. Pro bikers endangering people.

47 minutes ago, BurgerGung said:

- What does the law say?

Law says Thai driver is never liable.  Foreigner is culpable if he damages Thai motorbike or person*. 

*This info just from reading the TV forums, no actual experience or first hand knowledge on this - 55

On 7/14/2019 at 7:18 AM, BurgerGung said:

The other night, I was crossing a busy 2-lane road. Only looking right. A motorcycle taxi almost hit me, driving the wrong way.

- What does the law say? 

Yes, I wasn't looking. But I think that cannot be tolerated. Pro bikers endangering people.

Before I moved here from the USA over 16 years ago, I visited for several years on holiday.  A person I worked with back then asked me if I had a problem in looking right instead of left when went to cross the road.  My reply was no, I have no problem because in Thailand you better look both ways before stepping into the street as it is not uncommon for Thai drivers, especially motorbikes, to be driven on the wrong side of the road.

After moving here, at an expat club meeting, the speaker who was a book author that lived in Bangkok, mentioned that they had twice been hit by a motorbike while living there . . . and both times they were on the sidewalk. 

A very close Thai friend of mine was killed last year crossing the road by a young girl driving a motorbike in the wrong direction. He died at the scene and the 2 young girls on the old unregistered motorbike where injured.  No charges where filed against the girls by his family or the police. He was quite an influential businessman in the area so having money doesn’t mean preferential treatment,, in some cases. 

Look left, right, behind you, in front, check the footpath, left, right again, say a little prayer, hope for the best because it's your fault if anything happens because your a farang and all farangs are rich and Thai's are never in the wrong even when your in the right.

Do not expect the police to find the person traveling the wrong direction on the road to be at fault.  They may or may not.  They may also pin a percentage of fault on each party.  There was a forum post not too long ago about a car making a right hand turn onto a side street and a motorcycle driving the wrong direction hit it.  The police put the majority of the fault on the car.

I don't know if they make a distinction of a vehicle traveling the wrong direction in a lane or on the shoulder of the road.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:34 AM, cornishcarlos said:

If you haven't learnt to look left, right, up and down before crossing roads here, you will be hit sooner than later...

In countries where traffic drives on the left - you should look right, then left, then right again!

I have seen many Europeans/Americans walk into the road whilst just looking left!

23 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

In countries where traffic drives on the left - you should look right, then left, then right again!

I have seen many Europeans/Americans walk into the road whilst just looking left!

Even on one way roads here, it pays to look in 6 different directions...

I was always taught to look in both directions before stepping into the road.  I don't really understand how someone can get hit if they bother to actually look to see if it's safe to cross.

2 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

Do not drive in Thailand without a two way camera, facing forward and behind you.

you can have installed for 2500 BHAT

Yes, but how long before you need to recharge or whatever? I have read of some of them only lasting an hour or two, not much help on a long journey.

Yes, but how long before you need to recharge or whatever? I have read of some of them only lasting an hour or two, not much help on a long journey.
It's my understanding that those "dash" cameras are connected to the battery... At least the ones I've seen mounted in bikes back in Europe.

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

so all Europeans drive on the right side like Americans now or do many Europeans think being hit on their backside will cushion the impact ... like this guy on a zebra crossing on Abbey Rd?  At least the other drivers are careful about driving around the guy on the road rather than aiming for him.

1150483456_Abbeyrd.jpg.e01c942e0ac5866d11ecd79abf10c324.jpg

I have seen many Europeans/Americans stagger onto a busy road in a way that suggested they were relying on divine intervention to preserve them.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:38 PM, possum1931 said:

They plug into the cars electrical system we have driven thousands of kms  and it has never stopped operating, on mine you can see on the screen what is being recorded

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

They plug into the cars electrical system we have driven thousands of kms  and it has never stopped operating, on mine you can see on the screen what is being recorded

Yes, but I am only really interested in ones for a motorbike helmet.

Archived