BANGKOK 16 July 2019 13:33
RickG16

Dropped my computer...

Absolutely fuming... Half asleep at 4.30am I put a bag containing my laptop (+ a lot of clothes) on the step outside my house while I tied my shoelaces. The bag then became unbalanced and fell down 3-4 steps, partially cushioned by the clothes.

Turned it on and although the lights come on the screen is now black. For a number of reasons this is possibly the worst possible time....

What is likely to have happened...loose cable or connection inside? Broken screen? Or even motherboard?

Obviously I will take it to repair shop to get checked out , but just wondered if anyone knows what the problem / damage is likely to be?

Lastly, the screen isn't damaged externally.

Cheers 

Me thing it's either the screen or the HD got stuffed in the fall, in both case it's an expensive repair bill unfortunately...

2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Me thing it's either the screen or the HD got stuffed in the fall, in both case it's an expensive repair bill unfortunately...

What do you reckon in terms of cost for those issues? 

Was the laptop turned on when dropped ? If it was completely off then its very unlikely to have damaged the hard drive...they cam withstand 500x gravity forces while turned off.
Try plugging in an external monitor/TV,also the blue "alt function" keys which switch monitor outputs...it might have somehow switched to external monitor.

• Like 1

As already mentioned, try to connect another monitor at the VGA, or HDMI port. Was the thingy on standby, or on?

• Like 1

Cost to repair depends a lot on how old the laptop is and if it is the screen that's buggered, how big its is. The likelihood of a loose connector is slim since laptops connectors are already ruggedized for more shocks and bumps. If it's a cracked connector, or worse, something broken on the motherboard, then it could range from expensive to irreparable.

Having said that, I have recovered a couple of older laptops over the years with LCD and mobo issues as you can buy either the parts or complete but damaged ones on eBay. Someone spilled coffee on one but the LCD was still good. The other had a smashed screen but the mobo was fine.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

I would check the RAM is still seated.

I once had a laptop that had had a slight mechanical shock and appeared completely dead.

Resetting the RAM was the simple fix.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Great advice to check if the memory DDR is still readable. At the same time if it can't see the hard drive, you'd have a similar problem.

Got it checked out. Seems it's just the screen, if you look closely can actually see the computer working fine (very faintly on the screen). Been quoted 300 ringgit for replacement here in Malaysia, which seems reasonable considering I'm not in KL? 

20 hours ago, JamJar said:

Make and model number? 

It's a Samsung RV411 and it needs a new screen after being dropped. Comp appears to be working fine, but screen now only about 10% visible.

Will I need a specific new screen for the this model / make? Cheers

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

It's a Samsung RV411 and it needs a new screen after being dropped. Comp appears to be working fine, but screen now only about 10% visible.

Will I need a specific new screen for the this model / make? Cheers

https://www.lelong.com.my/lcd-led-screen-samsung-np-rv410-rv411-rv413-rv415-rv420-rv409-careitcomp-I2232990B-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

Could be the backlight or the backlight inverter.

Is the monitor enabled in the Device Manager?