Dropped my computer...

RickG16

Absolutely fuming... Half asleep at 4.30am I put a bag containing my laptop (+ a lot of clothes) on the step outside my house while I tied my shoelaces. The bag then became unbalanced and fell down 3-4 steps, partially cushioned by the clothes.

Turned it on and although the lights come on the screen is now black. For a number of reasons this is possibly the worst possible time....

What is likely to have happened...loose cable or connection inside? Broken screen? Or even motherboard?

Obviously I will take it to repair shop to get checked out , but just wondered if anyone knows what the problem / damage is likely to be?

Lastly, the screen isn't damaged externally.

Cheers 

2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Me thing it's either the screen or the HD got stuffed in the fall, in both case it's an expensive repair bill unfortunately...

What do you reckon in terms of cost for those issues? 

Was the laptop turned on when dropped ? If it was completely off then its very unlikely to have damaged the hard drive...they cam withstand 500x gravity forces while turned off.
Try plugging in an external monitor/TV,also the blue "alt function" keys which switch monitor outputs...it might have somehow switched to external monitor.

Cost to repair depends a lot on how old the laptop is and if it is the screen that's buggered, how big its is. The likelihood of a loose connector is slim since laptops connectors are already ruggedized for more shocks and bumps. If it's a cracked connector, or worse, something broken on the motherboard, then it could range from expensive to irreparable.

Having said that, I have recovered a couple of older laptops over the years with LCD and mobo issues as you can buy either the parts or complete but damaged ones on eBay. Someone spilled coffee on one but the LCD was still good. The other had a smashed screen but the mobo was fine.

I would check the RAM is still seated.

I once had a laptop that had had a slight mechanical shock and appeared completely dead.

Resetting the RAM was the simple fix.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Got it checked out. Seems it's just the screen, if you look closely can actually see the computer working fine (very faintly on the screen). Been quoted 300 ringgit for replacement here in Malaysia, which seems reasonable considering I'm not in KL? 

20 hours ago, JamJar said:

Make and model number? 

It's a Samsung RV411 and it needs a new screen after being dropped. Comp appears to be working fine, but screen now only about 10% visible.

Will I need a specific new screen for the this model / make? Cheers

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

It's a Samsung RV411 and it needs a new screen after being dropped. Comp appears to be working fine, but screen now only about 10% visible.

Will I need a specific new screen for the this model / make? Cheers

https://www.lelong.com.my/lcd-led-screen-samsung-np-rv410-rv411-rv413-rv415-rv420-rv409-careitcomp-I2232990B-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

Could be the backlight or the backlight inverter.

Is the monitor enabled in the Device Manager?

21 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Got it checked out. Seems it's just the screen, if you look closely can actually see the computer working fine (very faintly on the screen). Been quoted 300 ringgit for replacement here in Malaysia, which seems reasonable considering I'm not in KL? 

As others say, it appears the backlight or the inverter has gone out. About 2250 baht fix so a good price for repair.

Sorry to hijack this topic, not really want to open a new one, unless mods want it. 

My Acer laptop shows plugged in and charging but doesn't do it. 

I lose about 1% of capacity in about 48 hours. 

So in about 6 months, it will be 0.

Can I still use my pc  with 0 % battery, with plug in cord? 

Or than change battery? 

The battery is not easy to remove (different screws). 

Or just new PC. 

Thanks. 

34 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Sorry to hijack this topic, not really want to open a new one, unless mods want it. 

Open a new one. It is considered rude to hijack someone else's thread. Put the full model number in your thread.

Archived