Expats Revolt

Pattaya/Phuket and much of the rest of Thailand having serious Tourist/ income problems & may present an opportunity to get Immigration to ease up on new visa requirements. How ? By spending less and tightening the belt : Tip less or none - walk instead of paying for a ride - spend a night or two at home - limit spending in entertainment venues - put a few items in your frige instead of all restaurant meals. The Thai government pocketbook thru the street service people bitching is the only legal way to get them to listen & when street income drops it will be thunderous to them

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to wake up and smell the coffee, they don't care about expats. You could do what you like, but it will not make a half penny of a difference to the Authorities, the locals, or the immigration rules. 

I don't think anyone in government gives a <deleted> about the street vendors.. Their off shore accounts will be topping up nicely with all the mega projects being signed off before any checks and balances are done. They will then disappear overseas and live a life of exile luxury, it's been done already by the great red ones...

1 hour ago, Don Aleman said:

...when street income drops it will be thunderous to them

Huh?

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

I don't think anyone in government gives a <deleted> about the street vendors..

Agreed. If a 'government' can mandate to destroy the nation's legacy of fine street food without a care for people's loss of income, either by forcing street vendors out of work or forcing their customers to buy more expensive pre-packaged and processed food at 7-eleven's and the like, the already minuscule importance of the farang demographic in the market shrinks from negligible to infinitesimal.

37 minutes ago, whiteman said:

Yes we are just a blip to the powers that be.

More like the fading shadow of a blip.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

You need to wake up and smell the coffee, they don't care about expats. You could do what you like, but it will not make a half penny of a difference to the Authorities, the locals, or the immigration rules. 

I can see where the OP is coming from, I am not saying this would happen, but if the top people in the authorities had to see their own personal income stream dropping, you would see a difference very quick.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Agree 100%.  Expats are too small a demographic.  Tourism is where the money is at.  But even there they really don't give a c*** and watch people get drowned and dropped and raped with not much notice.  I told my family not to come because the days of the LOS are pretty much over.  I stay because as an old, angry curmudgeon I do less damage than in the States.  

18 minutes ago, reefsurfah said:

Classic cheap charlie, that's exactly who the Thais want out.  Not to mention the so called tourists working illegally.

I do not blame the authorities at all for wanting all the illegals who are working out, but where they are going wrong is penilising the vast majority of decent tourists and expats instead of getting off their backsides and tracking the illegals down. Oh wait! Brown envelopes.

55 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I would imagine they buy supplies from people who pay taxes.  

I thought they'd be buying from markets.... the ones ive been to here in Pattaya I highly doubt pay taxes.

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I don't think anyone in government gives a <deleted> about the street vendors.. Their off shore accounts will be topping up nicely with all the mega projects being signed off before any checks and balances are done. They will then disappear overseas and live a life of exile luxury, it's been done already by the great red ones...

Doesn't matter about the colour , they have all done it previously, many currently doing it and no doubt it will continue until "the head of the snake" is cut of. Endemic within Thai culture unfortunately.

6 hours ago, lipflipper said:

A waste of your time, your energy for something that has absolutely no hope in changing the mindset of Thai Immigration or for that matter Thai Officials when it comes to dealing with ExPats. Unless we are greasing their paws in some way they don't give a fiddlers fart about us.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I can see where the OP is coming from, I am not saying this would happen, but if the top people in the authorities had to see their own personal income stream dropping, you would see a difference very quick.

14 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

If things get any worse in the tourist traps...desperate people in beach locations and streets filled with bars and massage parlors could become a powder keg.  Best to watch your back in these places...

Sorry, but.......not really have the problem. Only problem airport not big enough already.

2561A58D-A1B8-4347-9CCA-3B7C864D64DE.jpeg

0F9B5D3A-56F0-4660-9673-8AA850999E35.jpeg

8F355157-DB6C-4FF0-901D-B107FC7B24F3.jpeg

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Or as Mel Gibson implored while channeling his best inner William Wallace, "Freeduuuuuummmmmmmmm!!!!!!"

Needs some blue face paint tho'

That's why they called him the "Woad Warrior".  Image result for william wallace

To many of us, it was clear from the start that they did not really want us here. 

To others, the superficial smiles were enough to develop trust. 

While I would love to 'revolt', we all know we farang won't. We don't do revolts well. We'd rather tear down other farang rather than supporting each other. 

The Chinese are the only market that will get the Thais to back off their nationalistic, xenophobia. The Chinese, like most Asians, as a rule, support each other against foreigners. 

The best strategy for farang is to simply acknowledge that we are powerless and leave. 

If you want to punish them for their racism, I would suggest leaving your Thai families stranded here and moving on the greener pastures. 

Archived