Expats Revolt

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I'm amazed at how many people on this forum have resigned themselves to feeling powerless to do anything about how they are being treated by the government.

Hi. Responding only to this part of your post as I am one of the people you describe. 

My view is that the rich, elitist, often xenophobic, often Thai-Chinese who control this country are going to be fine. Even if every single farang expat left Thailand tomorrow, these people will be fabulously wealthy and just as xenophobic. 

The Thais, as much as I generally don't like them, have an impressive imperviousness to outside influence. I'm convinced the average Thai would rather see the country reduced to burning ashes rather than self-criticize. 

They are unmovable in their dogmatic backwardness. 

So, (rhetorically) what's the point of wasting life trying to change them? 

The best chance of changing them is the Chinese (as much as many of us dislike much of the Chinese trends). The next best chance of changing the Thais is if waiting until they ruin their economy through their almost guaranteed, legendary mixture of Thai Arrogance and Thai Incompetence. 

In the intervening time, some people would argue that our farang time is best spent doing whatever makes us happy wherever that may be (whether in Thailand or elsewhere). 

As a very frequent visitor to Thailand for 30-plus years and a retiree/expat for the past 7 years, I don't get what all the fuss is about. Either you can afford -- money or otherwise --  to live here, or you can't. If I thought things were as bad as many here complain about, I'd have been outta here a long time ago. Meanwhile I'm loving the expat life in Thailand. 

Archived