Registered in another province

Henryford

No issues at all, as long as you have a residence certificate or work permit for that province... Just make sure you get the required documents from the seller ie his work permit copy or residence certificate, power of attorney and transfer document. Last 2 can be downloaded from internet.

Make sure that you have a signed copy ( after the print) of the seller's ID card, Tabien Baan and get a document from the Land Transport office that you can fill out and let sign by the seller.

i had a bigger problem when I had to find out that the former owner in the green book of my bike was a woman who'd moved to the States a long time ago.

It took four to five months to get that done. Plus many headaches. better to have more than less documents. 

3 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Make sure that you have a signed copy ( after the print) of the seller's ID card, Tabien Baan and get a document from the Land Transport office that you can fill out and let sign by the seller.

i had a bigger problem when I had to find out that the former owner in the green book of my bike was a woman who'd moved to the States a long time ago.

It took four to five months to get that done. Plus many headaches. better to have more than less documents. 

You did get it done then and was it legit through a DLT office, I have similar problems. 

Lol.....my bike is also registered to a Thai girl in the states,,,,have a pile of paperwork given to me when I purchased the bike 1 and 1/2 years ago,never got round to going to land transport office with it.

within the next 2 months I will be attempting to change mine over.

20 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Lol.....my bike is also registered to a Thai girl in the states,,,,have a pile of paperwork given to me when I purchased the bike 1 and 1/2 years ago,never got round to going to land transport office with it.

within the next 2 months I will be attempting to change mine over.

You only have the problem if the ID card of which you have a copy is expired. If the owner is a foreigner you have a problem if the permission of stay of which you have a copy is expired, which does of course happen way faster than the expiry of an ID card.

@OP:

There are two ways on how to get this done:

1. You buy the bike, you go to the DLT to transfer it from BKK to Pattaya, then have to go to the DLT again a few days later to transfer it in your name

2. The seller transfers the bike to from BKK to Pattaya, you buy the bike and transfer it in your name and are done after an hour or so.

Procedure 2 is obviously easier for you and you should ask the seller to do this.

50 minutes ago, johng said:

You could pay an "agent" to do all the running around for you.

Going to the DLT once or twice for usually less than an hour each time is not really "running arround", and by doing it yourself you do at least not risk that the agent disappears with your documents

In my experience its not   "less than an hour"    it took me at least an hour just to drive from Pattaya to Chonburi DLT

then get the inspection done, do the paperwork dance..new tax, new insurance..then drive home... 2 - 3 weeks later go back to get the new number plate...so at least 4 hours just driving... I would have though the risk of an agent disappearing with your documents quite small..but yes there is a risk.

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

2. The seller transfers the bike to from BKK to Pattaya,

I don't think that's   "do-able" (as far as I know,unless the procedures have changed ? )

yes the seller can initiate the move to Pattaya/Chonburi  bit at Bangkok...but you still have to go to the Chonburi DLT to  register it and get the new number plates..so its just a waste of the sellers time really  just do it all at Chonburi. 

51 minutes ago, johng said:

I don't think that's   "do-able" (as far as I know,unless the procedures have changed ? )

yes the seller can initiate the move to Pattaya/Chonburi  bit at Bangkok...but you still have to go to the Chonburi DLT to  register it and get the new number plates..so its just a waste of the sellers time really  just do it all at Chonburi.  

You missed this part:

On 7/14/2019 at 9:05 AM, Henryford said:

The seller and I live in Pattaya (Chon Buri).

You could pay an "agent" to do all the running around for you.
You mentioned you'd done a transfer at the Chonburi office......mind sharing the process as I'm looking of buying an " Out of province " bike.....

When you get there do you go to the inspection bay first or go to the counter....?

Where in the building is the inspection bay and which counter do I go to, to hand the papers in....?

Do you need to hand over the old tax disc and number plate at the initial visit.....or hand them over when you pick up the new plate....?

TIA ...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, properperson said:

go to the inspection bay first

As far as I remember yes inspection first..which really they only check the chassis and engine numbers...and maybe if there have been modifications not noted in the book   like change of colour.

Where in the building is the inspection bay and which counter do I go to, to hand the papers in....?

The inspection bay is a separate building..last time I was at Chonburi DLT they where doing extensive building works so the location may have changed now... counter number no Idea sorry  ask the information desk.

Do you need to hand over the old tax disc and number plate at the initial visit

Again as far as I remember you keep the old plates until the vehicle has "moved" provinces  and new plates are ready, why the hell they don't have a stock of plates/numbers and everything done in one visit I don't know..after all  the details should be on computer now shouldn't they ? Thailand 4.0 and all that !!

Archived