what is the device on the ceiling of my hotel room?

davidst01

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/14/2019 at 9:36 AM, Wirejerker said:

Rest assured it’s not live streaming to Russia as there is a 30 second delay for censorship. My recommendation is stop doing that or you will go blind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll stop when I need glasses.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:16 AM, tomazbodner said:

A fire sprinkler or sprinkler head is the component of a fire sprinkler system that discharges water when the effects of a fire have been detected, such as when a predetermined temperature has been exceeded. Fire sprinklers are extensively used worldwide, with over 40 million sprinkler heads fitted each year. In buildings protected by properly designed and maintained fire sprinklers, over 99% of fires were controlled by fire sprinklers alone.[1][2][3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_sprinkler

What's your point?

I think his point was that hardly any hotels/resorts have them.  And some that do have not worked.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:31 AM, BestB said:

As others said , smoke detector alarm and second one is either motion sensor for lights or exit point for internet 

No, no; it's a camera linked to immigration HQ and to the local bank to automatically up the ATM withdrawal fee to 300Baht, and if you walk around the room in just your underwear then you can expect a quick visit from the culture police.

The larger one is a Wi-Fi access point. We have five of them to cover three floors, work a treat

The smaller one is a smoke alarm.

Sent from my ZX Spectrum using dial-up.????

Interesting that that device is probably a wi-fi device.   I recently stayed in a hotel which had speakers in each room.  There was one announcement while I was there, advising that the fire service were doing a routine inspection.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:08 AM, tomazbodner said:

The small one is smoke detector - it is normal that it blinks the light - means it's turned on. If light goes solid on and alarm sounds, there's a fire in your room. The sprinkler will be somewhere on the ceiling or wall near the ceiling.

The bigger one is a wireless access point from UniFi. It's a part of mesh of access points that interconnect and provide entire building coverage with wireless signal and hand-over capability (so you can walk around entire building and your device is still connected to same network, without the need to reconnect). UniFi is one of the most popular and affordable unified WiFi providers.

Neither of them contains any cameras by default.

Correct about the UniFi access point however the entire building part is not exactly true. In my condo block I have one of these right outside my room on the ceiling. The living room has a great signal but if I walk through into the bathroom the signal goes to virtual nil. The bedroom is the same at almost zero the nearest side of the bed but signal is completely gone at the far side. Terrace has zero signal. The condo is not overly large at 76sqm. Not impressed at all. I had to install a TP link Wifi booster to cure the problem. 

Den

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

UniFi has signal strength selection and supports 2 bands. 5 GHz will never get particularly far. 2.4 GHz at max power should go through 2 walls and still have about 20m range, or 40-50m with 1 wall. So it could be settings, or it could be that your provider is only broadcasting at 5 GHz.

Last but not least - I did write that UniFi is one of the most affordable and popular choices. I did not say that they are particularly good, though. There are far better options out there though generally cost a lot more. I used TPLink Archer with my previous internet provider and it was great, and also looked great (TPLink really invested into how their products look) but it did have an issue with assigning IP addresses to computers. Worked OK for mobile devices, but all my computer gear required manual addresses. Maybe just my model. But that was really the only complaint against it.

Yes that's all good but I was picking up on your statement about it giving full building coverage which is not really true. I guess you meant that the mesh aspect is supposed to give full building coverage which is correct. Anyway I don't have any access to the device and the best I could do was to complain about the signal strength. As usual nothing was done so I had to resort to a work around. So there is a solution if others have the same problem and it's not particularly expensive at 900baht on Lazada. Definitely worth doing.

Den

On 7/16/2019 at 9:44 AM, Surasak said:

The larger one is a Wi-Fi access point. We have five of them to cover three floors, work a treat

The smaller one is a smoke alarm.

Sent from my ZX Spectrum using dial-up.????

why does it flash at night time in one room. In other room at the hotel it doesnt flash

23 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why ask us and not the hotel? I don't get it.

If I want to ask on a public forum I will do what I want. I hope that this lack of control that you have over me doesnt annoy you...

Archived