Just been to Koh Samui and MY GOD!!!

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

all the 'holiday ' destinations in Thailand are going to the dogs.  Environmentally they are deteriorating rapidly.  The locals are killing the industry with their greed and criminality and they don't seem to see what is coming. Given a very short time, Vietnam and Cambodia will kill the Thai tourist industry.

If the foreigners want to ruin beach areas, the Thais are more than willing to help.  I always hated the aggressive ripoffs in the tourist areas...makes me glad I live in the Big Mango...so many options.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Hmmmm, I am living in Chiang Mai and want to leave northern Thailand for 3 months during the burning season next year. My idea was to go to Koh Samui for this time. Following this thread to find out if it´s really so bad there. 

At Phuket I have been 3 times and was not so impressed.

AVOID BOTH PLACES !!!! Thailand believes that mass tourism and a resort and girly bar on every inch of beach attracts crowds of foreigners. It does the worst of humanity.

1 minute ago, Mitkof Island said:

AVOID BOTH PLACES !!!! Thailand believes that mass tourism and a resort and girly bar on every inch of beach attracts crowds of foreigners. It does the worst of humanity.

I am neither interested in beaches (hate staying there) nor in girly bars (will come with my wife). I only want fresh air and a sea view from my accommodation, what should easier to get at Koh Samui because there are hills where I can find a condo or house to rent with sea view.

41 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, or any other foreigner slum

Do you know what a slum is? Do you have ever been in Chiang Mai or do you only heard that it´s bad? I am living here and I am feeling fine. Yes, here are many foreigners from all over the world, tourists and expats, but this happens always at nice places like New York, London, Paris, etc. At the end the city is not really beautiful, it´s the vibe and the friendly people what makes it so special - and the many possibilities in the nature around the city. But perhaps you prefer foreigner-empty places like the deepest Isaan, where nobody wants to go because it´s so boring...

32 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

I am neither interested in beaches (hate staying there) nor in girly bars (will come with my wife). I only want fresh air and a sea view from my accommodation, what should easier to get at Koh Samui because there are hills where I can find a condo or house to rent with sea view.

Plenty of quiet non touristy areas .. and beautiful uncrowded sandy beaches with no beach sellers or mafia .

thumbnail_IMG-0355.jpg

thumbnail_IMG-0113.jpg

thumbnail_IMG-0309.jpg

Variety of posts and responses removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

46 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Why do you need to go to an island for that ?? Inflated prices for just about everything.. There are lots of nice beaches on the mainland that are much better value and atmosphere..

19 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Why do you need to go to an island for that ??

I only see mountains and I like to see the sea. So relaxing to sit with my morning coffee and my cigarette on the balcony or terrasse and looking on the water. Love it. But at the end I don´t need an island for that. Koh Samui was only an idea.

59 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Do you know what a slum is? Do you have ever been in Chiang Mai or do you only heard that it´s bad? I am living here and I am feeling fine. Yes, here are many foreigners from all over the world, tourists and expats, but this happens always at nice places like New York, London, Paris, etc. At the end the city is not really beautiful, it´s the vibe and the friendly people what makes it so special - and the many possibilities in the nature around the city. But perhaps you prefer foreigner-empty places like the deepest Isaan, where nobody wants to go because it´s so boring...

Sorry i hurt your feelings. I would prefer BORING Issan to Little Europe/ Smoke Ridden/ Chiang Mai any day. Besides having to deal with its mafia taxis. friendly Thais don, t tend to hang around masses of foreigners that treat them like crap every day.

4 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

I only see mountains and I like to see the sea. So relaxing to sit with my morning coffee and my cigarette on the balcony or terrasse and looking on the water. Love it. But at the end I don´t need an island for that. Koh Samui was only an idea.

Direct flights available from CNX to Surat and from there you can go to many beaches both East and west coast...

Just now, cornishcarlos said:

Direct flights available from CNX to Surat and from there you can go to many beaches both East and west coast...

True, I have been there, but it´s a bit too quiet. I like to have a bigger town near me - and minimum one good sushi restaurant. ????  So the options are somewhere between Jomtien and Sattahip or Koh Samui. I also have been at Koh Chang before but that´s also a bit boring.

17 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Why cant we speak the truth about thailand? It is what we see everyday so why can we not discuss it? 

Because you might hurt someones feelings like the Thais or others foreigners. But change never comes by hiding under the bed. Does it? But i say just vote with your feet AVOID those places altogether like i do. Of course the other option is start another forum.

But perhaps you prefer foreigner-empty places like the deepest Isaan, where nobody wants to go because it´s so boring...

Issan...and most anywhere one stays is what you make of it...

The lower number of bars are a consequence of higher quality people...????

10 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Can't see any "uncrowded sandy beaches" in those, only an uncrowded swimming pool. Nice views though. :thumbsup:

It was in reply to " 

4 hours ago,  CNXexpat said: 

6 hours ago, JamJar said:

Odd that he didn't state exactly where on Samui these occurrences are supposed to have taken place.

One could visit Patong and then say the same thing about Phuket. but stay away from the most touristy parts of holiday destinations and you can have a completely different experience.

isn't that the whole point of going to a tourist place as a TOURIST? to see the touristy bits? if they wanted to trek through the jungle to some god foresaken arse-end of the island why bother going at all?

on a side note i lived on samui for 8 years but left 6 years ago. last year we went back and vowed never again. saw pretty much the same as the OP, even had one thai (burmese maybe) dude follow me along the road while i was riding a bike screaming "smoke, smoke" at me.. i had to tell him to eff off before he got the message, truly desperate looking place now (cheong mon btw for the wise-asses)

my sister in law is currently there bedding in some new tenants to her villa. she has been reporting that things do not look good there. one of the big hotels on chaweng beach just laid off 50% of its staff for low season as very few bookings, they have never done this before. also she said same story everywhere (she is well connected) down a lot this year.

its a shame because i absolutely loved that place but it just turned into a rat run with every road concrete either side unless i went up into the hills. also the crime and mafia was a massive problem, insane traffic (locals) plus the school fees were astronomical.

i hope it gets back on track but not holding out much hope

7 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Samui is really only good to rent a big villa with friends/family, but well they closed them all down, great.

And maybe staying in a fancy 5 star resort that you don't have to leave, where security guys are give asskicks off everyone who's not a guest.

I love to walk around Chaweng, the smell of the drains, the ladyboys everywhere, the unwashed beachdogs, scammers all over, loud music all night in your room, mandatory dinners of 4000 a head during western holidays.....

Only newbee's go to samui.

Why go to these places when there are many beaches elsewhere that are deserted mid week and they are glad of the custom. If you go to a tourist ghetto you should expect it to be grim.

Why not try here. Empty beach at Mae Phim :

hat mai pim 024.jpg

Archived