Star gazing in Thailand, where and how to go

Basically a lot of southern thailand near the coast will not yield good results. You will get a green haze in long exposures from the green lights of the very many fishing boats. This light even if the boats and their lights are not in view will show up in my experience. Removing the gren haze in post was hit and miss.

I've had some reasonable results in regions near the intersection of the Laos border and Nan-Uttarradit-Loei areas. Please keep us informed if you find some good regions.

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Basically a lot of southern thailand near the coast will not yield good results. You will get a green haze in long exposures from the green lights of the very many fishing boats. This light even if the boats and their lights are not in view will show up in my experience. Removing the gren haze in post was hit and miss.

I've had some reasonable results in regions near the intersection of the Laos border and Nan-Uttarradit-Loei areas. Please keep us informed if you find some good regions.

Ok thanks.  I have not even tried Astro yet, I am never in a dark area, certainly I am looking forward to trying it.  I have a Tamron 15-30 2.8 lens paired with Canon eos R so I should get decent results once I get to practice a bit 

22 hours ago, genobkk said:

I have a Tamron 15-30 2.8 lens paired with Canon eos R so I should get decent results once I get to practice a bit 

You should get good results with the Tamron. Look forward to the images.

This is comedy gold.  Asking something like this will get you zipped up in a body bag so fast you'll think you went blind. This question is bound to be the best meme ever, or a new default conclusion of police investigations.  "Police investigations concluded he fell off the balcony while stargazing and landed down near the lobby, causing his head and arms and legs to fall off."  From now on, I'm going to suggest all these balcony nurders aren't really suicides.  They were due to star gazing.  To the OP seriously though, I had a good view lying in a field just outside the campground at Khao Yai National Park.  Have seen better in Laos and in Sapa, Vietnam.  Best was Colorado USA, though.  Thailand probably isn't spectacular, but get out in the mountains and away from major cities to give it a go.  Please report back if you fing a great one.  It's a cool idea.

Archived