Home Electrics

bluesmon

Hi guys, 

Would like some advice on new build electrics.

We are building a 3 bed, 2 bath single store house, (143 square M). 

3 aircons (2 x 12 Btu, 1 x 16 Btu) 2 x 4Kw water heaters plus sockets and lighting, western kitchen with fridge freezer, oven, extractor.  (hob will be gas).

We will also be building a store room/workshop (15 m x 6 m) housing water tank and pump, (no heavy duty equipment) car parking, small toilet block with washing m/c, and last but not least, a small Thai kitchen.

The PEA pole is located 7 m away on the opposite side of the road.

We have a 50 m run along our drive to the 'edge' of our plot.

The store room block will be 15 m north, the house, the house a further 3 to the East of the workshop block.

Questions:

1) I would like to run the cables from the PEA post to the edge of our 'plot overhead by siting 2 poles, one at the bottom of the drive (2 m in, allowing for Tessaban to carry out improvements etc), and one at the top, I think 15/45 will be the meter size. What is the best cable for this?

2) From the post 2, I would like to run the cables underground to the store room and have the main board sited there. then run a sub to the main house (underground). What would be a good configuration regarding cables, CU's for this?

Or would it be better to go direct to the house and run the sub to the store?

Thanks in advance

bluesmon

Crossy or other electric experts will give you some solid advice. The PEA might have some guidelines on power cables from the existing pole to a pole ON YOUR PROPERTY, where you can put a meter. See the insignificant difference in fees to install a 30/100 single phase meter. They may run THWA 50mm single core cables in the air to your meter. You might run NYY 35mm single core underground to your Circuit Breaker box in HDPE black conduit with a red stripe. You can have a licensed electrician in your area give you a spec sheet and prices if they do the installation and provide the cables and all the necessary bits and bobs. Be candid with the PEA local office on what you full list of electrical items will be. Maybe the 15/45 will be safe, but do not flinch if they demand or suggest a 30/100 single phase transformer. When the PEA write down a cable size it is the minimum for the load and distance.  You can get a written quotation from the PEA of the items most folks buy from them, and they can write down the minimum cable size coming out of the breaker box to your load center. Voltage drop due to wrong size cable is a killer of many electrical items and it causes water pumps to switch off. 

Plan in advance as most shops do not stock as much NYY cable as you think they would stock. Good Luck.

Can you post a quick sketch of the layout, I'm having difficulty visualising the relative locations of your buildings (more my lack of spacial awareness than your description). Just rough it out on a bit of A4 then take a photo with your phone. Then we can come up with sensible suggestions for cable sizes.

If you are building the house first then I would make that the hub of your power supply, purely for convenience.

A 15/45 will likely be fine, but if PEA will offer a 30/100 (without shelling for a transformer) it will do no harm.

Certainly talk to PEA about poles and meter location, particularly as it seems you will be needing poles on "public" property. PEA should also be able to come up with a deal on poles and cable to your intended transition to underground.

Archived