Regardin the Thai news article of TM30 check in every inside trip here.

holy cow cm

Anyone have an update or opinion for CM in this absurd crack down on having to check in every time you come back home from any stayed out trip in Thailand? CM has always said never mind in the past, but has anyone heard anything elsewise? I am just flabbergasted and annoyed at this policy if it reaches to every foreigner going anywhere in Thailand when considering our home of CM. I find this a travesty of human rights pointing at us like implicating that we are all potential criminals. Ofcourse if I have to do it I will, but how much is too much abuse!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Having to tell the government where you live is quite common practice. Why is it so dramatic and a travesty?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

So - if me & my family go to visit our family in Suphan for 3 days (a) I have to report back to immigration upon my return? (b) my father in law (or family member) of the house that we stay in has to report our staying there - or be subject to a hefty fine? (c) Any hotel we might stay in has to report my presence - or be subject to a hefty fine (because of my presence)......

There are criminals on parole in the free world that have more freedoms....

What's next - ankle bracelets? 

46 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Having to tell the government where you live is quite common practice. Why is it so dramatic and a travesty?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not really. We in CM were afforded a small piece of freedom even if it is a sliver off of the non existent freedom of having to report in every abroad trip which is condescending. If immigration In CM does crunch down, and I gather they will, then it is becoming so much more of a strangulation of disrespect for us. They want our money but not us. I for one do not wanted to be treated like a criminal. They know where I live and that should suffice.

Yes, I had to do it and CM immigration did not think it is a laughing matter, so their stance changed.

Came back on June 19, went to Immigration on June 20, it is now upstairs on a separate floor. They just updated my TM30 slip which was already in my passport. Came back visa-exempt (last time ED visa many months ago but kept renting condo). They said it is correct and was necessary to report.

Definitely changed, last time (maybe around half a year ago) they accepted a week or so to update the stamp on the receipt of notification.

8 hours ago, cerox said:

Yes, I had to do it and CM immigration did not think it is a laughing matter, so their stance changed.

Came back on June 19, went to Immigration on June 20, it is now upstairs on a separate floor. They just updated my TM30 slip which was already in my passport. Came back visa-exempt (last time ED visa many months ago but kept renting condo). They said it is correct and was necessary to report.

Definitely changed, last time (maybe around half a year ago) they accepted a week or so to update the stamp on the receipt of notification.

Came back from inside or outside of Thailand ?

13 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Sure for all who complain about immigration in any way.

Deportation for the drama queens and overstayers.

So makes one wonder what the Imm Boot Licking Brown noser's get

Problem immigration does not see with all this "additional" checking is that it basically makes their whole system look weak/useless

Because first off a long stay expat gets a 1 year visa extension

This extension is by no means simple...yes not too hard for folks but not simple meaning it is quite thorough with many forms & checks

even physical checks by imm officers at your home

Then they will ask you to get a reentry permit if you leave the country & return wanting your ext to still be valid ok fine & fair enough

Then they want you to check in every 90 days even though they just went thru all of the above to qualify you for a one year extension???

Ok all the above checking & double checking...all good?

Heck NO ! If you want to visit your wife's family in the neighboring province & spend the night....well that is now another whole kettle of fish

As other mentioned now your MIL has to report you...good? Not quite...when you get home be sure to report yourself again

Why? Because you spent the night next door?

So what does it all say about Thai Immigration original extension super paper trail to grant you a 1 year extension?

That your ok/good guy until you sleep anywhere other than your own bed?

15 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Because it is such a burden. Immigration is about a 45-60 minute drive - not to mention the time you queue up there. I'm not going to waste half a day every time I come back from a trip - asking foreigners to do so is beyond ridiculous. Also the requirement of getting documents from the landlord is ridiculous - if you want me to tell you my address and whereabouts - OK - but make it easily done online and without all the extra hassles.

On my last trip to immigration I met an elderly couple, Thai husband and Malay wife - they were fuming at how much bullshit they have to go through with immigration all the time. She's been in Thailand for 30+ years, and according to them it's just been getting worse and worse.

I don’t understand why I keep hearing about this supposed TM30 issue. I did my own TM30 years ago for our house that we live in, and we have stayed in multiple hotels all over Thailand and I’ve never had a single problem with immigration ever. The word “TM30” is never even mentioned whenever I go to immigration. I don’t know maybe it’s effecting people in different situations then me.

Sure for all who complain about immigration in any way.

Deportation for the drama queens and overstayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yeah I agree I’ve been here in Thailand over 5 years now and I still don’t understand why so many people think immigration just hates us all because they don’t. I’m really happy with my local immigration office. We’re living in a foreign country guys we gotta follow their rules or go home simple as that. It’s just paperwork that’s all it is it’s not even that hard to live here legally as long as you meet their requirements. I’m with you there I get tired of hearing all of the whining about it as well.

Anyone have an update or opinion for CM in this absurd crack down on having to check in every time you come back home from any stayed out trip in Thailand? CM has always said never mind in the past, but has anyone heard anything elsewise? I am just flabbergasted and annoyed at this policy if it reaches to every foreigner going anywhere in Thailand when considering our home of CM. I find this a travesty of human rights pointing at us like implicating that we are all potential criminals. Ofcourse if I have to do it I will, but how much is too much abuse!

“Human Rights” REALLY? [emoji23] you consider paperwork to be a travesty of human rights LMAO [emoji23]. You ought to travel to some more nasty parts of the world and see what human rights violations actually look like. Just when I thought I’ve heard it all wow.

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Because it is such a burden. Immigration is about a 45-60 minute drive - not to mention the time you queue up there. I'm not going to waste half a day every time I come back from a trip - asking foreigners to do so is beyond ridiculous. Also the requirement of getting documents from the landlord is ridiculous - if you want me to tell you my address and whereabouts - OK - but make it easily done online and without all the extra hassles.

On my last trip to immigration I met an elderly couple, Thai husband and Malay wife - they were fuming at how much bullshit they have to go through with immigration all the time. She's been in Thailand for 30+ years, and according to them it's just been getting worse and worse.

Are you aware that there is an online system ?

3 hours ago, Mel52 said:

I don’t understand why I keep hearing about this supposed TM30 issue. I did my own TM30 years ago for our house that we live in, and we have stayed in multiple hotels all over Thailand and I’ve never had a single problem with immigration ever. The word “TM30” is never even mentioned whenever I go to immigration. I don’t know maybe it’s effecting people in different situations then me.

What is it that you re not getting, "Mel"? The whole point of this thread as I read it is, yes, what you ve been doing is what we ve all been doing, ie not reporting in to immigration after an internal trip in Thailand, but last week they announced a change whereby ALL absences from home need to be reported in, not just abroad. THATS what the OP and the rest of us are tring to find out. Is there a change of policy at Chiang Mai immigration or not. OK. Understand now?

What is it that you re not getting, "Mel"? The whole point of this thread as I read it is, yes, what you ve been doing is what we ve all been doing, ie not reporting in to immigration after an internal trip in Thailand, but last week they announced a change whereby ALL absences from home need to be reported in, not just abroad. THATS what the OP and the rest of us are tring to find out. Is there a change of policy at Chiang Mai immigration or not. OK. Understand now?

“The whole point of this thread as I read it is, yes, what you ve been doing is what we ve all been doing”

ok so what’s the problem? I know it’s such an atrocious human rights violation doing paperwork sometimes lol [emoji23].

“but last week they announced a change whereby ALL absences from home need to be reported in”

Ok, so what.

A quick call to immigration by the wife and the lady in the TM30 department said to her that, if you are on a 1 year extension for either marriage or retirement then you don't have to report a TM30 when coming home after traveling in Thailand as long as the extension is valid, but you will have to do one when coming back from abroad. But she also said that is just Chiang Mai immigration rules and other areas differ. My wife only asked about the extension of stay and not about any other visa so I cany help with that.

So - if me & my family go to visit our family in Suphan for 3 days (a) I have to report back to immigration upon my return? (b) my father in law (or family member) of the house that we stay in has to report our staying there - or be subject to a hefty fine? [emoji767] Any hotel we might stay in has to report my presnce - or be subject to a hefty fine (because of my presence)......

There are criminals on parole in the free world that have more freedoms....

What's next - ankle bracelets? 

a and b only occur if you, your family or friend are dumb enough to engage immigration or have pissed somebody off so they report you. Either way it is on you.

c is standard procedure, has been for a long time, not just here

Yes London would be nicer, less reporting required but a camera up your ass 24/7, it is hardly like the Thai government is the only one keeping track of where people are.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A quick call to immigration by the wife and the lady in the TM30 department said to her that, if you are on a 1 year extension for either marriage or retirement then you don't have to report a TM30 when coming home after traveling in Thailand as long as the extension is valid, but you will have to do one when coming back from abroad. But she also said that is just Chiang Mai immigration rules and other areas differ. My wife only asked about the extension of stay and not about any other visa so I cany help with that.

That’s pretty much what I’ve heard as well where I live, that’s why I seriously don’t understand why everyone is so hyped up about it. Even if you did have to it’s not a big deal, it’s just paperwork almost everything we do in life requires paperwork including being a foreigner living abroad when dealing with immigration. So I don’t get why anyone would act like it’s abnormal. I just read these topics and then I read what people write about them and there’s just so much complaining about every single little thing. I’ve been here for over 5 years and I literally have no complaints about Thailand at least nothing that effects me anyway. The current political situation is another story but this is Thailand it’s not our home countries.

It is all very well saying that paperwork etc has to be followed etc etc. But the TM30 is quite clearly not the responsibility of the foreigner (unless they are the home owner). It is the responsibility of the landlord, home owner. Because of the lack of expedience regarding homeowners continually reporting when their tenants go backwards and forwards, the responsibility has been passed on to the foreigner.

It comes from the Immigration Law of 1979 when a rental market for foreigners pretty much didn't exist!

It is all very well saying that paperwork etc has to be followed etc etc. But the TM30 is quite clearly not the responsibility of the foreigner (unless they are the home owner). It is the responsibility of the landlord, home owner. Because of the lack of expedience regarding homeowners continually reporting when their tenants go backwards and forwards, the responsibility has been passed on to the foreigner.

It comes from the Immigration Law of 1979 when a rental market for foreigners pretty much didn't exist!

Ok it’s the land lords responsibility I’ve heard that many times before and you’re right, but so what, just fill out the darn form and get it over with and then get on with your life lol. It’s really not that hard I did it a very long time ago and it’s just another form. It’s not even an issue and the OP is comparing it to human rights lol [emoji23].

Archived