Regardin the Thai news article of TM30 check in every inside trip here.

holy cow cm

If one wants to be pedantic , if a TM30 is required at different bureaucratic stages which allow you to stay in the country, then if your landlord etc will not "take responsibility" for you, it is a problem.

Your tenure of stay will be dependent on the acquiescence of a third party. Instead of admitting the situation is unworkable , they "allowed" the foreigners to do it for themselves.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, daoyai said:

you mean you have never filed your BM #2 report? 

He's probably never even handed in the TM28a and TM28b reports, informing Immigration of supermarket visits and time spent in local bars and restaurants! Really, how are the Thais supposed to run a safe, orderly and disciplined country when people can't be bothered to inform them of their movements?

Having to tell the government where you live is quite common practice. Why is it so dramatic and a travesty?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
Most people tell them where they are staying when they apply for a visa, everyone fills out an arrival card when they arrive telling them where they are staying and then they need to go and tell them the third time within 24 hours of arrival. Is doing it in triplicate really necessary.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

A quick call to immigration by the wife and the lady in the TM30 department said to her that, if you are on a 1 year extension for either marriage or retirement then you don't have to report a TM30 when coming home after traveling in Thailand as long as the extension is valid, but you will have to do one when coming back from abroad. But she also said that is just Chiang Mai immigration rules and other areas differ. My wife only asked about the extension of stay and not about any other visa so I cany help with that.

But Rayong immigration don't require one when returning from abroad, haven't traveled internally for a while now so can't comment on that. This is why there is so much confusion because the immigration offices are not consistent. 

On 7/14/2019 at 2:59 PM, pgrahmm said:

So - if me & my family go to visit our family in Suphan for 3 days (a) I have to report back to immigration upon my return? (b) my father in law (or family member) of the house that we stay in has to report our staying there - or be subject to a hefty fine? (c) Any hotel we might stay in has to report my presence - or be subject to a hefty fine (because of my presence)......

Yes, that's exactly my understanding of what your wife (or the owner of your house) and the family members who own the house you visited have to do.

I have always used my Thai driving licence to checkin at hotels when I travel in Thailand, this does not seem to show up when I came back to Phuket and do my 90 day report. Other than that I do have copies of my landlord, (Ex-wife) ID, Tabien Bahn, Thai ID with the obligatory power of attorney and 10B tax stamp.

Joys of living in Thailand.

I have registered my wife for online access but did not get any reply when I tried recently so did the trip to immigration just in case. Has anyone had success with the online report?

5 minutes ago, Rawairat said:

I have always used my Thai driving licence to checkin at hotels when I travel in Thailand,

I have never had any luck here checking into a hotel with my driver's license.  Every hotel I ever stayed in here required my passport.  Maybe I look like a criminal?

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Are you aware that there is an online system ?

Are you aware that many of us filled this in some seven weeks ago and still have had no response.

Are you also aware that there is a scrolling message on the main page stating they are upgrading the system and this message has been displayed for weeks now.

36 minutes ago, Rawairat said:

I have registered my wife for online access but did not get any reply when I tried recently so did the trip to immigration just in case. Has anyone had success with the online report?

No, I am now waiting going up six or seven weeks and no response, just a message on the immigration main page to register for TM30 that they are upgrading the system.

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

If one wants to be pedantic , if a TM30 is required at different bureaucratic stages which allow you to stay in the country, then if your landlord etc will not "take responsibility" for you, it is a problem.

Your tenure of stay will be dependent on the acquiescence of a third party. Instead of admitting the situation is unworkable , they "allowed" the foreigners to do it for themselves.

Yep,

And then conveniently ' absolving ' the Thai landlords of responsibility and collecting fines from the aforementioned foreigners!

On 7/14/2019 at 2:33 PM, Bill97 said:

Having to tell the government where you live is quite common practice. Why is it so dramatic and a travesty?

Hmmm, let me splain. I already report my address upon entering Thailand as a requirement. I already report my address every 90 days. I already report my address to my bank, telephone company, electric, water, WiFi provider, auto insurer, auto/motorcycle registration and tax payment. Can you see how reporting again after a trip within the country, returning to the same registered address can be seen as irritating without viable reason?

30 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

I have never had any luck here checking into a hotel with my driver's license.  Every hotel I ever stayed in here required my passport.  Maybe I look like a criminal?

Interesting and I have always given my Thai Driver’s License and never been asked for anything more. Must be my old honest face.

Just now, wwest5829 said:

Hmmm, let me splain. I already report my address upon entering Thailand as a requirement. I already report my address every 90 days. I already report my address to my bank, telephone company, electric, water, WiFi provider, auto insurer, auto/motorcycle registration and tax payment. Can you see how reporting again after a trip within the country, returning to the same registered address can be seen as irritating without viable reason?

Yes, It is redundant and unnecessary.

Should we actually move to a new address, we are required to submit a TM28 form (along with a new TM30 form) ...so yes they pretty much know where we live.  

8 hours ago, Mel52 said:

“Human Rights” REALLY? emoji23.png you consider paperwork to be a travesty of human rights LMAO emoji23.png. You ought to travel to some more nasty parts of the world and see what human rights violations actually look like. Just when I thought I’ve heard it all wow.

Yes, that poster needs a reality check if they think their human rights are being abused for having to go to immigration and spend no more than 10 minutes to complete a form a few times a year.

What a sheltered life they must have!

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

He's probably never even handed in the TM28a and TM28b reports, informing Immigration of supermarket visits and time spent in local bars and restaurants! Really, how are the Thais supposed to run a safe, orderly and disciplined country when people can't be bothered to inform them of their movements?

Don't you remember the form we had where we had to tell them the 5 places we like to hang out at outside our homes?  

This whole thing is a farce,I have stayed in many small to medium sized hotels all over Thailand.Each time when I have gone to register and offered my passport,they have asked for my partners Thai ID card. Obviously,t is far too much trouble for these hotels to mess around with reporting farangs who stay.Much easier to register the room to a Thai,(even if I pay with a farang credit card)So,immigration have no idea where I am,which makes a mockery  of the whole system. 

On 7/14/2019 at 2:59 PM, pgrahmm said:

So - if me & my family go to visit our family in Suphan for 3 days (a) I have to report back to immigration upon my return? (b) my father in law (or family member) of the house that we stay in has to report our staying there - or be subject to a hefty fine? (c) Any hotel we might stay in has to report my presence - or be subject to a hefty fine (because of my presence)......

There are criminals on parole in the free world that have more freedoms....

What's next - ankle bracelets? 

No need for ankle bracelets. With facial recognition our every move outside the domicile will be recorded and Alexa will report inside the home activity. Closer to reality than I want to think about and certainly not limited to Thailand. In fact, again we have a benefit here. Thai department computers do not talk to one another. Wait, what? Oh, right so we will be tracked but still required to report on paper! Damn ...

Just now, CeeGee said:

This whole thing is a farce,I have stayed in many small to medium sized hotels all over Thailand.Each time when I have gone to register and offered my passport,they have asked for my partners Thai ID card. Obviously,t is far too much trouble for these hotels to mess around with reporting farangs who stay.Much easier to register the room to a Thai,(even if I pay with a farang credit card)So,immigration have no idea where I am,which makes a mockery  of the whole system. 

I had the exact opposite happen to me last week in Bangkok.

I sent my Thai wife into the lobby to check in to a hotel in Sukhumvit (while I hid/waited outside).  They asked her how many guests and she said "two".  They then asked who the other guest was and she replied "my husband".  Next question was what is your husband's nationality?  "USA". 

"I'm sorry miss, your husband will have to come here himself and check in himself" and she was turned away.  When I came in I showed them my Thai Driver's License and they replied that I could not check in without my passport.

My guess is they got hit in a raid and were fined for having foreign guests in their hotel and no proof of their passports or having done the TM30's.  That's all I can come up with.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Interesting and I have always given my Thai Driver’s License and never been asked for anything more. Must be my old honest face.

When we stay in hotels, my wife usually does the check-in. On one occasion when I wanted to test-out my newly acquired Pink Card, I decided I'd check-in using it.

Other than that, in 10 years here I've NEVER had to give ID when staying at a hotel.

Rarely stay at hotels these days, though.

It's great being invisible.

2 hours ago, CeeGee said:

Same here. My GF just shows her Thai ID. The hotels don't want the trouble.

I do the TM30 when I come from back from abroad. They don't know my whereabouts within Thailand, apart from my residential address. I don't see why that should be a problem to them, as I am quite law-abiding.

On 7/14/2019 at 2:33 PM, Bill97 said:

Thanks to people with big balls like you the situation will certainly improve !

Head up your ass to think any post here will improve the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have no idea what you two are arguing about but you are SERIOUSLY CRACKING ME UP [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. I’m really laughing literally in tears it’s funny watching people go at it online but if you two met in person without knowing you had argued and cursed each other online you’d probably get along just fine in real life in person lol [emoji23]. That’s the thing about chatting anonymously online people often get really brave from behind the keyboard. But in everyday life when you don’t have that “keyboard courage” you’re both probably really nice I bet.

Anyway the TM30 is just a piece of paper it’s just paperwork, it’s just part of the process we have to go through here it’s nothing hard and it’s definitely nothing worth getting so worked up about. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Chill guys it’s just a conversation.

Head up your ass to think any post here will improve the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Actually Bill97 I went back and read what you two were arguing about I read your post that he was replying to and I agree with you absolutely 100% you are right about what you said above. Thanks for saying that because some people on here I guess think they should be allowed to live in a foreign country without having to do anything or tell the government anything. Even in your home country including the United States there’s always some reason why you have to tell your local government or even Federal government where you live. You’re absolutely right that’s a very common practice it has been for decades. I still don’t understand all the hype about this it’s never been any kind of issue for me and I’ve been here over 5 years.

Archived