BANGKOK
elgenon

Ride apps in Chiang Mai

I was recently in CM and saw many Chinese use ride apps. What is good in CM?

There is Grab but I think in addition to that the Chinese have their own ride company operating here, probably illegally. I’ve seen a few use an app I haven’t seen before to call a ride. Definitely wasn’t Grab. Could be an offshoot of DiDi taxi in China, but I’m not sure. Haven’t had the time to look more into it.

Those Chinese are a sneaky lot and it would not surprise me in the least if they had their own Grab like service here in Chiang Mai. I do see quite a lot of them getting in and out of private cars both at Maya and Central Festival.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dcnx said:

There is Grab but I think in addition to that the Chinese have their own ride company operating here, probably illegally. I’ve seen a few use an app I haven’t seen before to call a ride. Definitely wasn’t Grab. Could be an offshoot of DiDi taxi in China, but I’m not sure. Haven’t had the time to look more into it.

Grab isn't exactly legal, either, is it?

• Confused 1

Oh! I thought I heard grab had become legal.

How can the taxis in Bangkok display a Grab sticker and not get in trouble with the police? 555

• Like 2

I suspect the Chinese tourists are simply using a Chinese language version of Grab.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I use Grab all the time.  My condo is mostly Chinese and I see them get into Grab cars that I recognize.  I guess it would be possible for the drivers to be working for more than one company.

BTW. The other night, I took Grab into the old city.  Later I discovered that I had forgotten my phone in the car.  The Grab driver returned my phone to the nearest business to where I was drooped off along with my description.  When I walked by they flagged me down and I retrieved my phone.

Which Grab do you use?

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

I suspect the Chinese tourists are simply using a Chinese language version of Grab.

Wouldn't that mean the drivers would have to speak and read Chinese? 

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

Wouldn't that mean the drivers would have to speak and read Chinese? 

No, just like the many of the drivers don't speak or read English.  The Grab app automatically translates between English and Thai depending on what language you downloaded when you downloaded the app.

Last time going to CNX airport with a Grab car, there was such a cute "Grab is illegal" sign 🤐😁

On 7/17/2019 at 4:26 PM, NancyL said:

Chinese is one of the languages listed for the Grab app:  

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/grab-app/id647268330

Remember:  Google is your friend!

I looked at it. Are you saying that the Thai driver gets a translated version of the Chinese that is inputed? And if I inputed English they would see Thai? That would be wonderful.

I saw a story in the Bangkok Post hat said the Grab app in CM is JustGrab. Is that correct?

36 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I looked at it. Are you saying that the Thai driver gets a translated version of the Chinese that is inputed? And if I inputed English they would see Thai? That would be wonderful.

I saw a story in the Bangkok Post hat said the Grab app in CM is JustGrab. Is that correct?

Yes, if you input English into Grab, the drivers see your comments in Thai.  I think Chiang Mai used to have JustGrab as an option, but now has more.  I don't really know.  Why don't you download Grab and try it out yourself?