Benz C220d

kmw

Hey all we are wanting to buy another car, Benz c220d so just the entry level, been around to a few local dealers and been given a few quotes in relation to financing, can buy from anywhere in Thailand and just drive it back home to chiang Mai,

I've attached the best quote so far, wondering if anyone else knows of any other cheaper financing?

Did consider paying for the car outright but having the money in our accounts can return much better yield, so just trying to find the lowest interest rate, 

Thanks 

IMG-20190713-WA0004.jpg

Remember to check early repayment get out clause in case you need to cancel the credit plan...Our lad didn't and they wanted 50% of the total 7 year interest....It was in writing on his plan.

I have fond memories of my 2002 E220CDi auto......

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Did you consider that the interest rate stated on your paper is APR, and the effective interest rate is about twice as high? So financing only makes sense if you can make more than 5% ROI risk free

Yes I'm aware, also 5% PA is fine as I run a small hedge fund, just trying to find the cheapest rates, just a bit of a hassle going around to banks and dealer for quotes all day as they all vary

Just now, luk AJ said:

How you calculate ROI (Return On Investment) on a car??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think he's probably saying that unless you are earning at least 5% on your money you use for your car payment, you are losing money. In those terms, the best savings accounts only pay 1.5%, and an good indexed mutual fund would pay 10-12%, so it's safe to say most people lose money financing a car.

1 minute ago, luk AJ said:

How you calculate ROI (Return On Investment) on a car??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You don't, just that an extra 1.5 million in my hands in other investments is much better then it being tied up in a car if we were to pay for it outright, 

On 7/14/2019 at 1:08 PM, kmw said:

You don't, just that an extra 1.5 million in my hands in other investments is much better then it being tied up in a car if we were to pay for it outright, 

In my opinion the decision to buy with cash or on finance is not straight forward.

For you taking the 60 month deal you will end up paying an extra 212.000thb, which over the five years amounts to about 42,570thb ...so very basically and on average you would need to make that every year. Of course you would only really have half the 2,279,000 less deposit invested over the five years, excluding the annual cumulative interest. So you can easily work out the annual interest rate that you need to achieve. Of course if you could keep that initial sum invested over the whole period then that changes things.

I recently bough a car ... was offered 500,000 off or 0% finance over 5 years. I bought for cash but am not 100% sure I made the right choice. I didn't consider the problem of selling a car that is not on finance. It seems that locals are more likely to take over the finance if you or your wife ever needs to dispose of the car than pay cash. I think if I became dust my wife would prefer to keep our other vehicle  and dispose of this one.

Also a lump of cash can make your life feel more secure. If you only have one lump.

I see that they haven't offered you the first years insurance and you will need to pay them to register the vehicle. My wife has just registered  ours (mine) herself.

p.s ... I don't think that they come with an english manual now ... if they won't buy it for you (circ 5Kthb) ask for a photo copy at least.

I think BMW give you 5 years of everything ... but it's not considered on the same level as a Merc .....

Before you commit join a C Class forum ... Mercs are not exactly trouble free and can be quite expensive after warranty expires ...the price of an extra two years warranty should give you a clue.

I think BMW give you 5 years of everything but it's not considered on the same level as a merc ......

p.s. MB don't supply an english manual now, I think its is quite expensive to buy (circ 5kthb) if seller won't give you one ask at least for a photo copy ... it is on the net though. 

Not wanting to hijack this thread but I am in a similar situation. I am "still" thinking about buying a car (been thinking for 6 months! ????)

The C Class Mercedes 350e seems a good deal used. I'm assuming it is "cheaper" because Mercedes get some sort of low emissions tax break?

I see them a couple of years old from around 1.8m?

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz/c-class/c350

RAZZ

31 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Not wanting to hijack this thread but I am in a similar situation. I am "still" thinking about buying a car (been thinking for 6 months! ????)

The C Class Mercedes 350e seems a good deal used. I'm assuming it is "cheaper" because Mercedes get some sort of low emissions tax break?

I see them a couple of years old from around 1.8m?

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz/c-class/c350

RAZZ

Reading about this Model on Pantip forum and many problems with reliability, and with so many nearly new ones for sale it seems to be true?

4 hours ago, br12stol said:

Reading about this Model on Pantip forum and many problems with reliability, and with so many nearly new ones for sale it seems to be true?

At the last  motor show I went to MB were selling a lot of second hand 350e cars. Lots of nearly new cars for sale on the net also. 

11 hours ago, br12stol said:

I belong to two MB forums ...Owners Forum and EQ Forum. And yes quite some complaints.... my alternative choice was the XC60 plug in and ditch the Everest.

As far as I'm aware everything is covered under warranty and there is ..at a huge premium ... an extar two years warranty available.

I once had ...in the UK ...a 190E, probably one of the last quality MB's

10 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I belong to two MB forums ...Owners Forum and EQ Forum. And yes quite some complaints.... my alternative choice was the XC60 plug in and ditch the Everest.

As far as I'm aware everything is covered under warranty and there is ..at a huge premium ... an extar two years warranty available.

I once had ...in the UK ...a 190E, probably one of the last quality MB's

They have just bought out the new model with larger battery 300e, a lot of performance 320+ Hp and 700 nm Torque 0-100 5.4 seconds its quite tempting, I wonder if it is more reliable now?

190e brings back memories I had one they were built like a Tank, best Merc I had was a W124 260E, silky smooth 6 cylinder great car, the story goes Mercedes nearly went bankrupt as the cars lasted too long.

16 minutes ago, br12stol said:

They have just bought out the new model with larger battery 300e, a lot of performance 320+ Hp and 700 nm Torque 0-100 5.4 seconds its quite tempting, I wonder if it is more reliable now?

Yeah, unfortunately, we are now in that "no man's land" of technology change elsewhere, but lagging infrastructure here in Thailand, where batteries are getting better better, but not quite there yet, and at the same time, like all auto producers, MB is doing an end run to all EV. MB has plans to electrify its entire range by 2022. On the other hand, Thailand's EV infrastructure and tax structure doesn't really make these vehicles worthwhile yet, so we are still in that no man's land where old oil burners make more sense to buy.

13 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

MB is doing an end run to all EV. MB has plans to electrify its entire range by 2022.

Read a paper that suggested if UK converts to all electric cars by 2050 they would need all the lithium currently mined and most of the neodymium. 

That is more cars that Mercedes makes but it does beg a question......

Oh and they would need to generate 20% more electricity than at present, just for those cars.

22 hours ago, kmw said:

Hey razz, we looked at the 350e but decided against it, as the additional outlay against the savings in fuel was not worth it in the end, ????

Yes...they are a bit "lumpy" new. We will not use a car too much so would be a bit of waste of money to buy new when it is sitting doing nothing for 90% of the time - but have no qualms with an ex-demo or ex-lease etc

Mercedes have some good deals on the new E Class but more money than we want to spend.

For 3m+ I'd rather buy a new C43 coupe (even though I' not sure they have the "exhaust sound" button in Thailand?)

They also have the odd good buy on the used section:

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.th/en/passengercars.html

22 hours ago, br12stol said:

I'll have a read up on that thanks.

18 hours ago, DavisH said:

At the last  motor show I went to MB were selling a lot of second hand 350e cars. Lots of nearly new cars for sale on the net also. 

Maybe it's because the newer version is better, lighter, quicker and more powerful? 

On a final note - at least it looks like a lot of the Mercedes here have "real" leather rather than that god-awful artico rubbish!

RAZZ

1 hour ago, br12stol said:

190e brings back memories I had one they were built like a Tank, best Merc I had was a W124 260E, silky smooth 6 cylinder great car, the story goes Mercedes nearly went bankrupt as the cars lasted too long.

E300e and E300de have been out quite some while in the 'rest of the world' had considered waiting but no one had any idea if/when they would come here. Anyway at 74 I may not have many years left in the right hand seat ... and when MrsJ takes over we would be better off with a tank

The E220d came recently but in a lower spec.

Hopefully the later E350e's will not have as many problems as the older ones ... have already started a 'rainy day fund' for warrenty end....

On 7/15/2019 at 3:45 PM, JAS21 said:

In my opinion the decision to buy with cash or on finance is not straight forward.

For you taking the 60 month deal you will end up paying an extra 212.000thb, which over the five years amounts to about 42,570thb ...so very basically and on average you would need to make that every year. Of course you would only really have half the 2,279,000 less deposit invested over the five years, excluding the annual cumulative interest. So you can easily work out the annual interest rate that you need to achieve. Of course if you could keep that initial sum invested over the whole period then that changes things.

I recently bough a car ... was offered 500,000 off or 0% finance over 5 years. I bought for cash but am not 100% sure I made the right choice. I didn't consider the problem of selling a car that is not on finance. It seems that locals are more likely to take over the finance if you or your wife ever needs to dispose of the car than pay cash. I think if I became dust my wife would prefer to keep our other vehicle  and dispose of this one.

Also a lump of cash can make your life feel more secure. If you only have one lump.

I see that they haven't offered you the first years insurance and you will need to pay them to register the vehicle. My wife has just registered  ours (mine) herself.

p.s ... I don't think that they come with an english manual now ... if they won't buy it for you (circ 5Kthb) ask for a photo copy at least.

I think BMW give you 5 years of everything ... but it's not considered on the same level as a Merc .....

Before you commit join a C Class forum ... Mercs are not exactly trouble free and can be quite expensive after warranty expires ...the price of an extra two years warranty should give you a clue.

I think BMW give you 5 years of everything but it's not considered on the same level as a merc ......

p.s. MB don't supply an english manual now, I think its is quite expensive to buy (circ 5kthb) if seller won't give you one ask at least for a photo copy ... it is on the net though. 

I don't understand your comment 'on the same level as a Merc.....'

Merc's are ten a penny in Thailand, especially Bangkok of course and there are many more models that BMWs. However, I much prefer 'sporty' BMWs partly for their relative rarity compared to Mercs. During 10 years of owning newly purchased BMWs in Thailand with BSI Service/Warranty, I have never had a problem with 2 cars. 

10 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

We have a C350e, 18 month, 13500km, of which 9800 are electric because we use it mostly for around town chugging. No problems so far.........touch wood!

We would be in the same situation, around town and each trip would be no further then 15-20k, 

Did you do the maths in comparison to how long it would take to re coup the additional outlay in conjunction to fuel savings? For us it would take roughly 15 years :(, so seems better value to buy a gas gulping diesel, while it would be nice to feel eco friendly just not viable for us at the moment, also we tend to buy a new car every 4-5 years, so again not really worth it in my opinion ????

3 minutes ago, kmw said:

We would be in the same situation, around town and each trip would be no further then 15-20k, 

Did you do the maths in comparison to how long it would take to re coup the additional outlay in conjunction to fuel savings? For us it would take roughly 15 years :(, so seems better value to buy a gas gulping diesel, while it would be nice to feel eco friendly just not viable for us at the moment, also we tend to buy a new car every 4-5 years, so again not really worth it in my opinion ????

Did you consider putting solar panels on your roof - then you could charge your car for free.  ????

To answer your question - driving a plug-in-hybrid or full electrical car is hard to justify on the fuel savings, that was never a consideration for me. Eco friendly? nah - but I am an engineer, and while I had twin-turbo V12 in my past so I know what wasteful means, in stop and go traffic and for short trips, there is nothing more suitable than an electric motor.

3 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

I don't understand your comment 'on the same level as a Merc.....'

Merc's are ten a penny in Thailand, especially Bangkok of course and there are many more models that BMWs. However, I much prefer 'sporty' BMWs partly for their relative rarity compared to Mercs. During 10 years of owning newly purchased BMWs in Thailand with BSI Service/Warranty, I have never had a problem with 2 cars. 

Same level as merc comment .. yes you do understand it ...and it would have been one if the rear seats had folded to give loads of extra space..The GT looked quite attractive but the seat slab was too long for MrsJ..and her upper legs are not exactly short...

2 hours ago, kmw said:

I agree the math just doesn't work yet in Thailand. Like you, I buy a new car or two every 3-5 years, and this EV technology evolution/adoption in Thailand is so behind and unpredictable it's better to just stick with old diesel tech until things even out. However, with any hybrid (plug-in) or not, I suppose you also have the huge capital expenditure of buying a new battery at some time (normally 10 years?), and so if you plan on making the car a keeper, you also have to factor in that big cash outlay.

2 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Did you consider putting solar panels on your roof - then you could charge your car for free.  ????

To answer your question - driving a plug-in-hybrid or full electrical car is hard to justify on the fuel savings, that was never a consideration for me. Eco friendly? nah - but I am an engineer, and while I had twin-turbo V12 in my past so I know what wasteful means, in stop and go traffic and for short trips, there is nothing more suitable than an electric motor.

Hey yes we actually did as we are small time developers, cost for solar was about 200k that would pay for itself within 8 years however batteries only warranty for 5 years, the technology for solar is getting generally better but still not worth it in the long run, I think with advancements in technology solar and electrical engineering it may be worth it in the next 5-10 years 

1 hour ago, plfomylo said:

What I am wondering is why people buy a car that they cannot pay cash ? Just buy a cheaper car and pay it cash if you are not able to buy a Benz ?

May I suggest what ever country you are in folk buy cars on HP. In LOS I would guess 99% of rides are bought on HP. Even houses are bought on HP...

Archived