BANGKOK
SteveK

Chicken vindaloo recipe

I forgot to mention - this works with large pieces of chicken best, I cut a breast into three and marinade them and that's enough for my dinner. You could use any meat for this though, as vindaloo was originally a pork dish. Beef, pork, duck, chicken, prawns and vegetables will all work well.

gonna havta try that one, a marinade with vinegar as a base sounds very interesting...maybe edit out some of the steps to give a simpler preparation...btw whole cloves are available at makro but most 'curry powder' has cloves included...

believe I'd be careful with the fresh chiles as 12 of the small red ones will burn ye a new one...mix and match depending on what they got fresh at the market that day...maybe do away with altogether and use dried red chile flakes instead that one also has to be careful with...

I made a boneless chicken breast tikka recently with a yogurt and spices marinade and it turned out a treat...the yogurt marinade adapts to a lot of stuff...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Actually I usually put in 16 chillies, reduced it for this forum. Each step is important, maybe I could simplify it. I can get the plain yoghurt here in 7-11. I made a really nice butter chicken but this Allowrie butter is so expensive I stick to my vindaloos. I'd love to see your tikka recipe.

If only I could get some bell peppers to make a jalfrezi. Not available within 100km of my village!

If you do try this recipe, try not to deviate or substitute too much, I have tried small alterations but find I don't get that tangy, delicious vindaloo flavour. You can use sichuan peppercorns instead of cloves, but I can't get those either!

Edited by SteveK

Posted (edited)

a tikka marinade is easy to assemble from most anything you see on google...it has become 'generic' almost, ye just havta get yer hands on some natural yogurt or make some...the height of luxury was in saudi where they had premixed spices in a box in the supermarket, just add to the fresh yogurt usually sold in kilo tubs...

too bad yer makro is so far away as they usually have peppers for jalfreizi, mine's only just up the road 30km where I havta go for 90 day reports, etc...back in a construction camp in the middle east years ago the pakistani canteen chef did an admirable jalfreizi that was a big hit amongst the staff and crew...he even had fresh chapattis that he kept warm in a rice cooker...

gonna hafta check out the jalfreizi recipes on google...I've got a good vendor at the local market, thb50 per kilo for nice fresh boneless breasts...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I've made fresh chapattis, very similar to my fresh tortillas. 50 baht for kilo is an absolute steal - but the Thais see them as garbage meat!

I don't need vindaloo to help me go ... I have my wife's cooking

• Haha 2

The best Vindaloo that I have had in Thailand was produced by a guy in Surin.

Your recipe sounds interesting, I think I will run it by him.

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

If only I could get some bell peppers to make a jalfrezi. Not available within 100km of my village!

I didn't know anywhere in Thailand was more than 100km from a Makro store  😃

I have just brought some capsicum seeds back from the UK for a friend to try and grow his own bell peppers.

Posted (edited)

I have attempted various curry recipes in Thailand with differing levels of success.

Never seem to get it quite right.

Will try the Vindaloo recipe next Tuesday.

Looking forward to it. 🥘

Edited by fishtank
  • Like 1

I ended up cooking the vindaloo today.

Probably the best curry I have had in ten years.

Admittedly I made all the others.

Ended up with too much gravy so next time I will use more chicken and put one in the freezer.

As for Rick Stein?

The man is a legend.

• Like 1

You've made my year!

A lot of research went into this recipe. Dozens of different tweaks and tastings.

If you have a lot of gravy, you can keep it in the fridge for 1-2 weeks no problem because of the vinegar.

Just make sure that you either keep the gravy on it's own, or store the cooked curry with meat in the freezer - over-marinading the meat does not work well at all because the proteins in the meat get broken down.

Let's do a proper butter chicken next, I've nearly got that down but the only issue is butter is mega expensive out in the sticks.

Posted (edited)

To make butter chicken I need almost a whole pack of this stuff and it costs about two quid. Better to try and get a really good jalfrezi recipe going, there's load on YouTube but not always easy to get all the ingredients here.

butter.jpg

butter chicken.jpg

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

beef vindaloo  !!   now your talking my language …. arroy   !